Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Wilder on the problem of playing Brighton

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Didn't Wilder ,while at Brighton, get a bottle of champagne for Darren Freeman for scoring the first goal at Withdean even though he was just on loan for a couple of months and had no real bond with the club...

Sometimes the human side of management just as important as the analytics

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
pop pop community GIF

Pop, pop

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
Moyes and Wilder are not dinosaurs, Moyes has worked wonders at West Ham and is a massively underrated manager. Wilder did amazing job at Northampton before getting a bang average Sheffield United squad into the premier league utilising some very progressive tactics. Both are very, very good managers and reserve respect for what they have achieved in the game.
Fully agreed. Wilder was fantastic for us..galvanised the whole club at a time when we were very close to going pop. Instrumental in getting our current Chairman in and in our promotion winning season playing high press, high energy, attacking football. Also gave Ivan Toney his debut. Real shame he went to Sheff Utd so soon after our winning League 2. Always came across as a thoroughly decent person as well.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Pop pop pop. I LOVE it. This term has to stick. Perfect.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes, it’s one thing understanding the threat but quite another doing anything about it. Makes me all the more perplexed that fans of other clubs still insist on their teams pressing and some of ours also fail to understand.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not were Brighton when he joined. Dunk talked about the chaos of the first few weeks of training. I would say any top half PL club has players technically gifted enough to understand and execute the drills coached by RDZ.
Like Chelsea players did with Potter 😉

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Didn't Wilder ,while at Brighton, get a bottle of champagne for Darren Freeman for scoring the first goal at Withdean even though he was just on loan for a couple of months and had no real bond with the club...

Sometimes the human side of management just as important as the analytics
Wilder wasn't on loan, he signed after being released by Sheffield United. Micky Adams knew him through a mutual friend and gave him a short term deal (possibly doing a fellow Sheffield United fan a favour), however Wilder couldn't settle in the area and Halifax offered him a chance to move back up north so we let him go.

I haven't heard the story about the champagne before but it would be a good way to integrate yourself with your new teammates.

Wilder speaks very highly of the brief spell he had here, it made him open his eyes to club mis-management and how things could go wrong very quickly given our fall down the leagues before he joined. He seems like a really decent bloke managing the club he loves.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would seriously love you to be right ......but ???

When we ran out against Donny at the Amex, all my wildest dreams were fulfilled :wink:
I know what you mean, but..... we are now getting credit for sustained quality under two managers, ever improving, the inevitable setbacks increasingly less alarming, slowly replacing players who are not quite consistent or talented enough with upgrades, five league wins over Manchester United now....beaten Chelsea, twice......

The only thing we haven't done yet is win something. I want to win something.

And when we have won something I want to win something else.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It has been implied that Chelsea players thought they were better than Potter. RDZ has a lot more respect amongst famous players.
Yep, when Potter's Chelsea move was confirmed, a Chelsea supporting mate asked me if he was any good. I said he's a decent manager but his ability to deal with mega player egos would be my concern as we refuse to recruit those types at Brighton.

His masters degree in emotional intelligence should see him through ....

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
That’s you, Facundo. Just stop it 🤷‍♂️
Although one of their players did exactly the same in the second half, went down like he'd been shot, realised he wasn't getting the free kick and they were attacking and suddenly he was restored by the power of god to start running straight away

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Although one of their players did exactly the same in the second half, went down like he'd been shot, realised he wasn't getting the free kick and they were attacking and suddenly he was restored by the power of god to start running straight away
As did JPVH in the second half, went down in a heap after a tackle looking for a free kick and didn’t get the foul. Lazarus like recovery when he saw United still had the ball and were attacking

Ref was good imo

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
It has been implied that Chelsea players thought they were better than Potter. RDZ has a lot more respect amongst famous players.

It was so obvious that getting those Prima Donnas on board was going to be a massive problem given his lack of winning anything and just being an average player himself. Called it the day he shat on us.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I actually thought today was the best “pop, pop, pop” we’ve seen for a while. Reminded me of last season.
I agree. Save for the last 10 mins of the first half we were very good. There was a passage of play in the 2nd half where I think we put together around 8 consecutive 1 touch passes. Our play can be jaw dropping at times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here