Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Wilder on the problem of playing Brighton

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I quite enjoyed reading these words from Wilder post-match today.

I like the thought of the bulk of Premier League managers getting together, on Zoom probably, trying to figure out a way to counter our play...

"You don't say it before but when the draw comes out, it’s a real difficult one to deal with - with the way they are and the way they play.​
"It was quite interesting speaking to David Moyes after we played West Ham last week. Everybody has the same problem playing against them.​
"I do get the narrative saying let’s go press, go after them, not allow them to play.​
"But they’ve worked religiously on it. They’ve been a possession-based football team for quite a number of seasons under Graham Potter and taken it to the next level now with the players they are bringing in as well.​
"Obviously one of them, Joao Pedro. 'Not today, Joao', I said before the game but obviously he said 'yes'.​
"We know that’s what he can do. For the type of player he is.​
"They have more passes in the Premier League than anybody, second most possession – above Liverpool, Aston Villa, Spurs, Man United and all those fabulous teams. Only one team rivals those numbers. It’s a real difficult one for us.​
“Especially at home, I was talking to David Moyes about how you stop them. If you do go and get up the pitch and don’t get it right, they go pop, pop, pop and all of a sudden they’re in.”​
...and some of our passing and interplay today was sublime. "Pop, pop, pop" is a good way of describing the razor sharp one touch passing that sees us play through and around opposition with apparent ease.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
He's a wise man for a northerner is that Chris Wilder :wink:

But as Goodnight showed today, when we are at full strength we have a whole number of players who are capable of 'something special'. Being passed to death whilst knowing someone can pop up and do something like that must be an absolute nightmare to play against.

Enjoy it because it can't and won't last forever :albion2:

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Why? do you think Bloom will chuck in the towel any time soon 🙄 it’s his dream his club play like this he’s not going to just stop the progression.
No, if Liverpool have any sense he’ll replace Klippety and there will be nothing we can do about it. Tailor made for them :down:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I quite enjoyed reading these words from Wilder post-match today.

I like the thought of the bulk of Premier League managers getting together, on Zoom probably, trying to figure out a way to counter our play...

"You don't say it before but when the draw comes out, it’s a real difficult one to deal with - with the way they are and the way they play.​
"It was quite interesting speaking to David Moyes after we played West Ham last week. Everybody has the same problem playing against them.​
"I do get the narrative saying let’s go press, go after them, not allow them to play.​
"But they’ve worked religiously on it. They’ve been a possession-based football team for quite a number of seasons under Graham Potter and taken it to the next level now with the players they are bringing in as well.​
"Obviously one of them, Joao Pedro. 'Not today, Joao', I said before the game but obviously he said 'yes'.​
"We know that’s what he can do. For the type of player he is.​
"They have more passes in the Premier League than anybody, second most possession – above Liverpool, Aston Villa, Spurs, Man United and all those fabulous teams. Only one team rivals those numbers. It’s a real difficult one for us.​
“Especially at home, I was talking to David Moyes about how you stop them. If you do go and get up the pitch and don’t get it right, they go pop, pop, pop and all of a sudden they’re in.”​
...and some of our passing and interplay today was sublime. "Pop, pop, pop" is a good way of describing the razor sharp one touch passing that sees us play through and around opposition with apparent ease.
I actually thought today was the best “pop, pop, pop” we’ve seen for a while. Reminded me of last season.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There's a new song to counter the unoriginal rubbish there. 'Hot hot hot' becomes 'Pop, pop, pop'

'Ole, ole, ole, ole,

we go pop, pop, pop'

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The thing is, Wilder and Moyes are dinosaurs - they can’t coach players to pass and move. They know how to get in the mixer and cause a bit of chaos. No wonder they’re baffled by the likes of De Zerbi.
That is actually really unfair on Wilder. His Blades team that came up a few years ago was one of the most tactically original and interesting teams that have played in the PL.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The thing is, Wilder and Moyes are dinosaurs - they can’t coach players to pass and move. They know how to get in the mixer and cause a bit of chaos. No wonder they’re baffled by the likes of De Zerbi.
I'm not sure I'm going along with your view that Moyes has been "baffled" by De Zerbi this season.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Footage of the meeting but we’ve sent in Adam Lallana undercover

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here