Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Hughton new Ghana manager

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Worth noting that despite a number of recent coups in Africa and a tightly contested democratic process, no hint of anything going on in Ghana.

The obvious conclusion is they’re all terrified of the utter devastation our Chris is capable of if it goes to pot. And rightly so.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Its a double edged sword, I am so grateful to him for taking us up, but was so relieved when he was sacked. Sacking him was yet another masterstroke (albeit highly criticised by the media) from TB,
You don't know what Hughton would have done if he had the squad that Potter was given - but that is neither here nor there - it worked out well for the club and continues to do so.

Delighted for Hughton - he deserves to have the opportunity to have a team at a major tournament - and it should be noted that Hughton is not playing the defensive game that he was forced to employ with Brighton for the first couple of years in the PL>

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Its a double edged sword, I am so grateful to him for taking us up, but was so relieved when he was sacked. Sacking him was yet another masterstroke (albeit highly criticised by the media) from TB,
The time was right for him to go but he was certainly one of our best ever managers and took a terrible squad from Hyypia and created a side that spanked the Championship and kept us up against all the odds. Club legend.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
So was I. He had taken us as far as he could but that in no way detracts from the incredible job that he did and the respect that we all(or most of us) have for him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You don't know what Hughton would have done if he had the squad that Potter was given - but that is neither here nor there - it worked out well for the club and continues to do so.

Delighted for Hughton - he deserves to have the opportunity to have a team at a major tournament - and it should be noted that Hughton is not playing the defensive game that he was forced to employ with Brighton for the first couple of years in the PL>
But I don't think Chris would be GIVEN the squad that GPott had – because they play two completely different brands of football. He had a squad that played to his strengths (defensive-minded) and that was a mindset he wasn't going to shift from – we all saw enough performances towards the end of that season to know that. That's fine – he had his limitations and, while by no means a dinosaur in managerial standards, Tony and co wanted to go in a different direction (which has paid off).

But none of that takes anything away from the fact that he is still an absolute legend and a fantastic manager for the job that he did when he was here.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
But I don't think Chris would be GIVEN the squad that GPott had – because they play two completely different brands of football. He had a squad that played to his strengths (defensive-minded) and that was a mindset he wasn't going to shift from – we all saw enough performances towards the end of that season to know that. That's fine – he had his limitations and, while by no means a dinosaur in managerial standards, Tony and co wanted to go in a different direction (which has paid off).

But none of that takes anything away from the fact that he is still an absolute legend and a fantastic manager for the job that he did when he was here.
Some of the attacking football we played in the last two championship seasons was sublime, if he'd had a squad able to do that in the prem, like we do now, then who knows, he could have done well.

What he perhaps lacked was the bravery to shift styles, Potter was very brave when he started and endured a lot of poor results and a flirt with relegation whilst getting his more attacking style embedded, which he eventually benefited from.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
This. The outcry from ‘neutral’ fans at the time was vitriolic - along the lines of ‘we should be grateful for what we have’.

Chris did a great job for us but I think had reached the limit of where he could take us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But I don't think Chris would be GIVEN the squad that GPott had – because they play two completely different brands of football. He had a squad that played to his strengths (defensive-minded)

I don't see how the teams he put out in the Championship could be described as defensive minded. We were constantly attacking and scoring plenty.

When we made the step up we became defensive minded, but that was just pragmatic, and the previous seasons show Hughton was capable of an attacking style when the situation merited it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Not a mindset he wasn't going to shift from, then.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Perhaps another interview . In this one he doesn't say anything about Potter.

Yeah, but you have to admit he probably said it, because slagging people off is Chris's style

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

But the point someone has made is that CH is not playing defensive football with his Ghana side. Therefore it is logical to argue that the way he sets up depends on what players he has available. One massive difference now, especially under RDZ, is that we have the players to handle a three up font massively-fast attacking game. CH had Glenn Murray, supported by Knocky, Locardia, Andone and a somewhat dessicated version of Solly March (before his balls were encouraged to grow).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here