Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Houghton still unemployed

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I thought Propper was one of our better players last season. Suspect reason he plays a more withdrawn role is that Groß plays ahead of him and we lack pace all over the park so players are deeper as a result.

That's an issue all round. Trossard can play no 10. Propper does for Holland. Gross is the man in possession. Andone wouldn't be out of place there.

Of those only Propper CAN play centre mid / holding. Gross was hopeless at it IMO. The question is, does Propper want to? The other question is, what to do with the others?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought Propper was one of our better players last season. Suspect reason he plays a more withdrawn role is that Groß plays ahead of him and we lack pace all over the park so players are deeper as a result.

There was a run of games when Propper was amazing, untouhable and Head and Shoulders above everyone on the pitch.

Then 'that' happened and the rest isn't history.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That's an issue all round. Trossard can play no 10. Propper does for Holland. Gross is the man in possession. Andone wouldn't be out of place there.

Of those only Propper CAN play centre mid / holding. Gross was hopeless at it IMO. The question is, does Propper want to? The other question is, what to do with the others?

I think relatively few thought GM would play as much as he did last season. Andone had three excellent matches and many poor ones. Locadia was similar. Jahanbaksh also apparently play off the main striker but he had about three excellent minutes last season.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands

He has played there exactly twice for Holland.
He normally plays a much deeper role - the same role he plays for us.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I think relatively few thought GM would play as much as he did last season. Andone had three excellent matches and many poor ones. Locadia was similar. Jahanbaksh also apparently play off the main striker but he had about three excellent minutes last season.

All slightly different cases for me.

I just don't think Ali J is good enough. Too slow, not strong enough and inclined to switch off when it's not going his way because Iran are shit and the Dutch league is shit and he's used to being a big fish in a small, shitty pond. This season will go one way or another for him and I'm not predicting a Ballon D'Or.

I want to see how Andone and Locadia get on under Potter though. Andone needs his attitude sorting but maybe making him "The Man" instead of Murray will do it. We simply have to trust him because we have a virtual pensioner leading the line otherwise. I'd hope he'll step up.

I still can't decide if Locadia is a DJ with a bad attitude, a poor first touch and a surprising occasional show of quality or the bloke that put us in a cup semi final with a moment of magic, has a perfectly good first touch when bothered and has an esoteric CD collection and a nice stereo system.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Pröpper's form declined at around the time that a potential move to Ajax hit the press.

This was first reported at the end of March - on exactly the same weekend as the Southampton game at the Amex.

I suspect his head was in Amsterdam for the rest of the season.

It seems all talk of Ajax has now gone quiet.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Not sure why you include Arsenal as at that time, we were safe and there was no pressure on the team and the manager and that showed. As for Wolves, we desperately needed a point and from that perspective, you an understand why we parked the bus but it was not fun to watch, much like most of the away games (and for that matter a fair few home ones).

Not sure if you are saying we parked the bus in a fair few homes games (which I would disagree with) or that a fair few home games were not fun to watch (which I do agree with).
Either way I did actually really enjoy the performance against Wolves away - The defending was a joy to watch. (Like I said as I wouldn't want to watch it all the time but in the circumstances I loved it - possibly my favourite away day of the season)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
He has played there exactly twice for Holland.
He normally plays a much deeper role - the same role he plays for us.

He's played there TWICE for an international team! I suspect the team that beat England to a Nations Cup final have a bit more savvy than our desperate attempts to arrest the slide at the end of last season.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure if you are saying we parked the bus in a fair few homes games (which I would disagree with) or that a fair few home games were not fun to watch (which I do agree with).
Either way I did actually really enjoy the performance against Wolves away - The defending was a joy to watch. (Like I said as I wouldn't want to watch it all the time but in the circumstances I loved it - possibly my favourite away day of the season)

No, I'm not saying we parked the bus at home and away games, just that pretty much every away game was not fun to watch. As for favourite away games, I of course don't know which ones you went to but I'd put Palace ahead of that plus Arsenal (although there was nothing riding on the game for us but it was satisfying to scupper their ambitions for champions league). Also, keeping it 1-0 at Liverpool proved to be a good result bearing in mind what they went on to do. Coming back from 2-0 down against Soton was also good.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Has Houghton been sacked? Was it due to the bus parking? Let's hope that doesn't happen under Potter. Or it will be Cruciato all round.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
He's played there TWICE for an international team! I suspect the team that beat England to a Nations Cup final have a bit more savvy than our desperate attempts to arrest the slide at the end of last season.

Against weak opposition.
You mention the Nations League - did you watch the England match? If so you would have noticed Propper came on in a deep lying midfield role. Rather than say he "does" play number 10 for Holland it would be more accurate to say that Holland tried him there but moved him back after 2 games.

The thing that really annoys me (and I'm not referring to you here at all) is that people criticise Hughton for playing people out of position but then say he should have played Propper in the no.10 role despite him having only played there twice. Locadia has played wide left many times in his career - yet when Hughton did it he was apparently out of position. Same for AJ who has played both left and right in his career yet again Hughton is criticised for playing him out of position. Some people absolutely ripped into Hughton for starting Gross in right midfield vs Newcastle yet this is where he played for a large part of his time at Ingolstadt.

It feels like to some people he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
No, I'm not saying we parked the bus at home and away games, just that pretty much every away game was not fun to watch. As for favourite away games, I of course don't know which ones you went to but I'd put Palace ahead of that plus Arsenal (although there was nothing riding on the game for us but it was satisfying to scupper their ambitions for champions league). Also, keeping it 1-0 at Liverpool proved to be a good result bearing in mind what they went on to do. Coming back from 2-0 down against Soton was also good.

Sadly missed the Palace game as otherwise I'm sure that would have been my favourite.
One of the reasons I loved the Wolves game so much was the bitterness of the Wolves fans afterwards. Had a pissed up Wolves fan confront me and my sons after the game saying how we're rubbish and will never score in the Premier League. My son, calm as anything, just said "which of your goals against us this season was your favourite?"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Against weak opposition.
You mention the Nations League - did you watch the England match? If so you would have noticed Propper came on in a deep lying midfield role. Rather than say he "does" play number 10 for Holland it would be more accurate to say that Holland tried him there but moved him back after 2 games.

The thing that really annoys me (and I'm not referring to you here at all) is that people criticise Hughton for playing people out of position but then say he should have played Propper in the no.10 role despite him having only played there twice. Locadia has played wide left many times in his career - yet when Hughton did it he was apparently out of position. Same for AJ who has played both left and right in his career yet again Hughton is criticised for playing him out of position. Some people absolutely ripped into Hughton for starting Gross in right midfield vs Newcastle yet this is where he played for a large part of his time at Ingolstadt.

It feels like to some people he was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

In fairness he was damned by the results for most of the last three months of the season. Prior to that run I’d suggest 90% of NSC were 100% for him staying and continuing the fine job he’d done since he was appointed. It was his inability to turn the results around over a three month period, especially in winnable games, that did for him in many people’s eyes, fairly or not.

The defeats against Saints, Bournemouth and Cardiff were seen as unacceptable by many fans as well as TB. Win just one of thos games and things might have turned out very differently

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
In fairness he was damned by the results for most of the last three months of the season. Prior to that run I’d suggest 90% of NSC were 100% for him staying and continuing the fine job he’d done since he was appointed. It was his inability to turn the results around over a three month period, especially in winnable games, that did for him in many people’s eyes, fairly or not.

The defeats against Saints, Bournemouth and Cardiff were seen as unacceptable by many fans as well as TB. Win just one of thos games and things might have turned out very differently

I don't disagree at all - it's just that since he has gone too many people are using every opportunity to criticise him unfairly.
I absolutely can understand criticism for the results (especially the 3 games you mention) but since he has gone (and a bit before) there are a lot of people re-writing history and/or criticising him unfairly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't disagree at all - it's just that since he has gone too many people are using every opportunity to criticise him unfairly.
I absolutely can understand criticism for the results (especially the 3 games you mention) but since he has gone (and a bit before) there are a lot of people re-writing history and/or criticising him unfairly.
It cuts both ways.
I'm also reading a fair few posters who are refusing to accept any criticism of CH.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
It cuts both ways.
I'm also reading a fair few posters who are refusing to accept any criticism of CH.

Fair enough but can't see the need to keep criticising him when he has left.
Why not just show respect for the great job he has done and move on.
Almost every thread has snide comments about CH at the moment - see the newly started Jack Harper thread for an example.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I couldn't agree more. The OP title makes it sound that Chris Hughton is no longer wanted by anyone in football, when in reality he is probably just taking his time. I pointed out a lot earlier in the thread that he was available when we appointed Hyypia but appointed by us in December when it had gone wrong.
He has made lots of money in his career so is in no rush to get another job. I think it is snidy to point the finger.
We had some great times with him over the 4 years and although it was extremely sad to see him go, the chairman decided it was right.
I feel a few fans are trying to justify their posts by exaggerating what they thought. That says more about them than Hughton.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It cuts both ways.

As is the way with these threads. The criticism starts going over the top, so therefore the defence of the subject gets stronger. Hyperbole takes over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here