Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Houghton still unemployed

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thanks @El Pres. That should be noted by anyone (there were a few), who felt that CH had great playing resources at his disposal. Relatively speaking, compared to all the opposition, patently he didn’t. We were bargain basement with Hudd (and in 2018/19 with Cardiff too).

Just for clarity, those are figures for 2017/18 season. Not sure the figures for last season are yet available.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Look em up SB. No denying that a core of our team last season was from the Champ - Dunk, Duffy, March, Stephens and Murray being the spine - they're all good players - and towards the end we leant on Knockaert and Bruno That said of last years signings Ali J, Bernardo, Bissouma,( Locadia when we played 4-3-3) tended to make more appearances than we possibly remember but clearly weren't ever presents and Gross and Propper would have appeared more last season but for injuries of course.
Not sure what any of this proves mind. The recruitment story is a far more nuanced one than we played a lot of Champ players in a game or two thus -- it failed . (or Hughton failed)
And nobody is dressing up the fact that last season at least Locadia (goals), Izquierdo (injuries) and Ali J (goals) definitely failed to deliver.

I'm not in a position to do so and you seemed to instantly have the fact to hand.

You are correct there are 1001 different reasons that culminated in CH being shown the door.
Fortunately for this melting pot we all attach a reason to our own agendas!!!!

As have said many times, I was (am) gutted CH had to leave but understand why he had to leave.

I'm excited by PottyTime and have unrealistic expectations as to what he can do for Big Jurg, Andone and Ali J - so everything is alright in Stat World.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Then I'm sure you thoroughly enjoyed the Wolves performance then!

I bloody loved it as it was what was needed at the time!
The vast majority of Albion fans who were there seemed to love it as well given the amount of singing on the concourse at the end.
Would hate to play like that all season but at the time of this game - having been conceding goals for fun - it was exactly what we needed

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The vast majority of Albion fans who were there seemed to love it as well given the amount of singing on the concourse at the end.
Would hate to play like that all season but at the time of this game - having been conceding goals for fun - it was exactly what we needed

The Wolves and Arsenal away performances were excellent in context at the time. Gritty, every player ‘turned up’, focused from KO to the end.

By contrast, all those home matches preceding that were the killer, and cost CH his job.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Is it fair to say that the "players and manager were [not trying] ...and were taking the piss. Every f.ucking week."
Yes, for a long period after Christmas.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The Wolves and Arsenal away performances were excellent in context at the time. Gritty, every player ‘turned up’, focused from KO to the end.

By contrast, all those home matches preceding that were the killer, and cost CH his job.

Not sure why you include Arsenal as at that time, we were safe and there was no pressure on the team and the manager and that showed. As for Wolves, we desperately needed a point and from that perspective, you an understand why we parked the bus but it was not fun to watch, much like most of the away games (and for that matter a fair few home ones).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I loved the point but I didn't love the game.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Shame that its come to this. The tactics might be wrong, the manager clearly struggled to make a change, up against better opposition, obviously a bunch of poor results. All valid reasons not to show - but accusing the squad and the manager of taking the piss every week and not trying . All season. At the same time trying to argue that your criticism isn't playing the man rather than the ball. Oh well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Shame that its come to this. The tactics might be wrong, the manager clearly struggled to make a change, up against better opposition, obviously a bunch of poor results. All valid reasons not to show - but accusing the squad and the manager of taking the piss every week and not trying . All season. Oh well.

I simply don't think you can say Hughton wasn't trying. That's just wrong. He seemed to put everything he could in to his ideas but ultimately they were wrong for that squad and that league and we headed off in to a vicious circle. I stand by the long article I wrote. Modern football is very much about attacking tactics, youth, pressing and full backs who can provide assists. Our tactics were never going to achieve any of that.

I do think you can say several of the players were going through the motions and one or two of them were also out on the piss till all hours. There's no excuse for that at all and it needed CH to stamp on it rather than being their mate. I can see why - because for four years the nice guy act produced a team spirit that was almost unrivalled. But there was no plan B at all.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I simply don't think you can say Hughton wasn't trying. That's just wrong. He seemed to put everything he could in to his ideas but ultimately they were wrong for that squad and that league and we headed off in to a vicious circle. I stand by the long article I wrote. Modern football is very much about attacking tactics, youth, pressing and full backs who can provide assists. Our tactics were never going to achieve any of that.

I do think you can say several of the players were going through the motions and one or two of them were also out on the piss till all hours. There's no excuse for that at all and it needed CH to stamp on it rather than being their mate. I can see why - because for four years the nice guy act produced a team spirit that was almost unrivalled. But there was no plan B at all.

Agreed , criticise his coaching, tactics or his (lack of ) Plan B. All valid. Argue that it was investment, signings , out of form players. Plenty of stuff for NSC to argue about (and it has for months now)
But saying they are "not trying" or "taking the piss" is lazy ad hominem stuff. And depressing as fans. And insulting to Hughton especially.
And the rumours about a couple of players are just that. A couple of players and rumours. (of course there's been plenty of sightings reported on here and elsewhere - and i've no idea how CH deals or did deal with stuff like this. And i'm guessing we're guessing about how he did)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not sure why you include Arsenal as at that time, we were safe and there was no pressure on the team and the manager and that showed. As for Wolves, we desperately needed a point and from that perspective, you an understand why we parked the bus but it was not fun to watch, much like most of the away games (and for that matter a fair few home ones).

For once, in a season almost full of crap by the Albion, the players executed a plan (against a team full of highly regarded internationals). Needed on the day, due to the months beforehand of shocking football and losses.

Definitely not enjoyable to watch, nail biting .... we were just a goal from getting relegated (in hindsight, but we knew the importance of a point at the time).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But saying they are "not trying" or "taking the piss" is lazy ad hominem stuff. And depressing as fans. And insulting to Hughton especially.
And the rumours about a couple of players are just that. A couple of players and rumours. (of course there's been plenty of sightings reported on here and elsewhere - and i've no idea how CH deals or did deal with stuff like this. And i'm guessing we're guessing about how he did)

Totally agree with all of that.

The players have their usual all, but just weren’t good enough. The rumours about a few players being out smashed when they should’ve been at home, are just Chinese Whispers .... still waiting for the evidence.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You can say it, but there’s little evidence to support it.

You can't evidence at all that players go through the motions. It's only a feeling. I'm happy to name who I thought it was in my opinion. For me Propper slowed down, Montoya never bothered in the first place and Ali J and Locadia are either very poor or disengaged with CH fairly early in their BHA careers. We'll see with all of those I guess.

I'm sure if you wanted to find evidence of a player leaving a late night drinking venue at an hour after curfew it wouldn't be that hard.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You can't evidence at all that players go through the motions. It's only a feeling. I'm happy to name who I thought it was in my opinion. For me Propper slowed down, Montoya never bothered in the first place and Ali J and Locadia are either very poor or disengaged with CH fairly early in their BHA careers. We'll see with all of those I guess.

I'm sure if you wanted to find evidence of a player leaving a late night drinking venue at an hour after curfew it wouldn't be that hard.

Propper was injured in October and didn’t look as good on his return although his assist for Groß’s goal at OT was sublime. Izquierdo was injured all season, agree that Montoya was rarely more than 6/10 but is that attitude or ability?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Propper was injured in October and didn’t look as good on his return although his assist for Groß’s goal at OT was sublime. Izquierdo was injured all season, agree that Montoya was rarely more than 6/10 but is that attitude or ability?

Deliberately didn't mention Izquierdo as I agree with you 100%. He was injured, not skiving off.

Propper is a much better player than he showed because I've watched him for Holland and he pushes forward in that role. He was frustrated with the brakes on, no doubt for me. Montoya? Great technique but the postional ability of a five year old and strikes me as a "that'll do" player. I could be massively wrong but that would explain why he's not earning gazillions at Barca and has, instead, come here.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Deliberately didn't mention Izquierdo as I agree with you 100%. He was injured, not skiving off.

Propper is a much better player than he showed because I've watched him for Holland and he pushes forward in that role. He was frustrated with the brakes on, no doubt for me. Montoya? Great technique but the postional ability of a five year old and strikes me as a "that'll do" player. I could be massively wrong but that would explain why he's not earning gazillions at Barca and has, instead, come here.

I thought Propper was one of our better players last season. Suspect reason he plays a more withdrawn role is that Groß plays ahead of him and we lack pace all over the park so players are deeper as a result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here