[Football] Chris Houghton still unemployed

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
? Wolves away - we started with 7 of the Champ squad on the pitch (Izquierdo, Gross, Ryan, Propper), and we finished with 7.

Beg your pardon it was.....

Wasn’t it that none of the new signings from 2018-19 were included...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wolves and it was a good result as well.

But as well as Hughton, (who was always reported as having the final say), IMO it doesn’t say an awful lot for the recruitment options he was presented with.....

That question gets answered in 10-15 weeks.

One way or another there'll be a lot of revisionist history being written, before the end of the year.

Either CH saw what he had and was 100% correct in his assessment.
Or CH saw what he had and failed the players, club and worst still, himself.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At Wolves only Izquierdo and Gross of the non-Championship team were left on the field at the end IIRC but I don't think there was a game completed with 100% of the promotion team on the field at the end. Happy to be corrected though.

There was an increasing reliance on the Championship players to grind out results towards the end though, no doubt about it.

Not like me to use hyperbole to make a point. :lol:

Although this time it was a genuine mistake.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’ll say it again. CH will not struggle to get a very high profile job...when he decides he is ready. He may well have had enough as I’m sure that his sacking will have affected him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We finished with Ryan, Bernardo, Izquierdo and Gross on the pitch. (Bernardo had replaced Bruno and Kayal replaced Propper)

Oh I didn't think it was that low, I did kind of think it was all 10, but was happy to be close with 8 or 9 championship player.
7 does take the edge off, a little bit.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

One way or another there'll be a lot of revisionist history being written, before the end of the year.

Yes it does.

There are a number of players who have a chance to prove their worth (in terms of NSC).

Bit dramatic last sentence though......
Perhaps ‘just got it wrong’, as given we have survived two years, i would suggest it’s anything but failure......

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes it does.

There are a number of players who have a chance to prove their worth (in terms of NSC).

Bit dramatic last sentence though......
Perhaps ‘just got it wrong’, as given we have survived two years, i would suggest it’s anything but failure......

Hmmmm, I'm sure we'd all love to still be in Chrissy Hughton's blue and white army, now and for ever more.

For him to lose his job through what is a repeated failure on his part, might be harsh. Certainly dismisses everything that went before, but doesn't mean it's not accurate.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Are you deliberately missing the point, it's not about whether he is/was a good coach or not, but about some of the snidey, nasty things that have been said about him and his ability to coach since he left us. I don't like that sort of thing and feel it a shame that people have to stoop to effectively name calling.

There's one or two that have made such comments, in the main, the vast majority of those supporting the decision to sack Hughton have not resorted to making personal insults.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Spurs - we started with 3 Champ players, Arsenal 4, Wolves 7, Newcastle 6.

I've just checked the team v Wolves and the only new signing from that season even involved was Bernardo. It was a game where we absolutely had to get some kind of result. Against Newcastle, where we again had to get a result, the new players involved were Bernardo and Andone from the off and Bissouma who came on. Not a surprise when Gross was hopelessly out of position and having a mare and Andone was pretty much thrown to the lions, having not started with Murray at all (it was one or the other all season).

It's an interesting debate because, as SB says, we'll only really know in 10-15 weeks time. However, it confirms to me that Hughton was between a rock and a hard place.

"I kept you up Tony...."

"And my record signings and academy players....?"

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
And, for balance how many did they finished with?

Look em up SB. No denying that a core of our team last season was from the Champ - Dunk, Duffy, March, Stephens and Murray being the spine - they're all good players - and towards the end we leant on Knockaert and Bruno That said of last years signings Ali J, Bernardo, Bissouma,( Locadia when we played 4-3-3) tended to make more appearances than we possibly remember but clearly weren't ever presents and Gross and Propper would have appeared more last season but for injuries of course.
Not sure what any of this proves mind. The recruitment story is a far more nuanced one than we played a lot of Champ players in a game or two thus -- it failed . (or Hughton failed)
And nobody is dressing up the fact that last season at least Locadia (goals), Izquierdo (injuries) and Ali J (goals) definitely failed to deliver.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Then I'm sure you thoroughly enjoyed the Wolves performance then!

I did. [emoji2]Tottenham as well.
Of course it would have been good to break more, but needs must.

Kayal clipped the bar.....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was amazed at the time at many reactions on here following those games from people who couldn't see that all three were very lucky results that would not be maintained playing like that. Whilst I was delighted at getting the points, there was clearly a problem then that many could not or did not want to see.

CH himself admitted that “we were outplayed in those three matches” at a ‘meet the manager evening’ in the Amex Suite in March. He brought up the subject himself, to highlight that he assesses based on team performances, which he felt weren’t good enough in those matches. Rather than the headline catching result.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wages plus transfer fee amortisation

View attachment 112194

Thanks @El Pres. That should be noted by anyone (there were a few), who felt that CH had great playing resources at his disposal. Relatively speaking, compared to all the opposition, patently he didn’t. We were bargain basement with Hudd (and in 2018/19 with Cardiff too).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports