Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Gayle Fined

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
By some accounts Chris Gayle is a sleazy piece of work but to get offended by what he said in this interview is nuts. It was cringey and embarrassing but only mildly derogatory. get a grip

Ah, so 'mildly derogatory' is acceptable enough that others should 'get a grip'?

What I'm saying - again - is that those who are blaming or part-blaming the interviewer/broadcaster for the situation are looking at it the wrong way round.

The only offence to be taken is the interviewer. Who says I'm offended? Oh, just you did.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Chris Gayle ? He's an amateur.

This is how you do it...............

fancy a curry? :sheep:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Ah, so 'mildly derogatory' is acceptable enough that others should 'get a grip'?

What I'm saying - again - is that those who are blaming or part-blaming the interviewer/broadcaster for the situation are looking at it the wrong way round.

The only offence to be taken is the interviewer. Who says I'm offended? Oh, just you did.
To be fair you were offended by someone who thought a player should ''man up'', you started shrieking about it being homophobic.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was in Tesco last week and spied a hottie. Got chatting to her in the tinned peas section and asked her out for a date but she binned me off. Probably a lesbian, frigid or time of the month......

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
While I agree with you to some degree I think this whole attitude opens real can of worms. It comes from the starting point that all men pose a physical and sexual threat to women, something I detest, the whole radical feminist mantra of 'all men are potential rapists' is disgusting in my opinion. It is as narrow minded as assuming all Muslims are terrorists.

We seem to be left with a society view that a male who approaches a woman, goes on the pull, visually checks out a woman etc is some kind of sexual predator which is simply not the case.

A female friend of mind said this last week 'So, I was in tesco and this guy was checking me out, as I was leaving the shop he came and introduced himself and asked if he could take me out for a drink, what a creepy perv'

What really, really disturbs me about this is that his actions are seen as both creepy and perverted*. Surely this is just normal behaviour? If he was masturbating under a mac then sure but we are talking about a guy approaching a woman and asking her for a drink.

* I am not saying that what Gayle did was acceptable by the way, it is just the reactions of 'creep'. 'pervert, 'sexual predator' and 'rapist' that just get thrown around which are way OTT

It's about context though.

I'm going to make a leap here and suggest that your friend was in Tesco, wanted to get her shopping done and get out - and didn't appreciate the approach. In another setting, the same bloke may have got a different response from her. Who knows?

Meanwhile, with Chris Gayle and Mel McLaughlin - it was a professional sports interviewer, in the confines of their respective work environment, in front of millions of people. And he should know better.

I'd be looking forward to Chris Gayle flirting with Aggers or Bumble next time he's interviewed. Will he do that? Of course not - he doesn't fancy them (though who knows...?). But any attraction is irrelevant in the context of a professional sports presenter interviewing a professional sports person.

Listening to Alison Mitchell (TMS commentator) this morning on air was quite revealing regarding the attitude of some to female sport journalists. She was saying that while she hasn't experienced that level of crudity from a sportsperson, she knows of other female journalists who have. If she had been on the receiving end of Gayle's remarks, she said, she would have been very annoyed.

McLaughlin herself has since made her feelings known. Fair play to her.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/vi...laughlin-reacts-to-chris-gayle-comments-video

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I was in Tesco last week and spied a hottie. Got chatting to her in the tinned peas section and asked her out for a date but she binned me off. Probably a lesbian, frigid or time of the month......

Disappointing start to the year El Pres and hard to believe any hottie could resist your immense charm and charisma. Have you considered hanging round the cake sections as the women you meet there are probably less picky.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
967e9cddf892696f4e4ee7c9e8708f2e.jpg

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I'm going to make a leap here and suggest that your friend was in Tesco, wanted to get her shopping done and get out - and didn't appreciate the approach. In another setting, the same bloke may have got a different response from her. Who knows?
There's nothing wrong with approaching someone doing their shopping or other everyday mundane stuff - it would be labelled as romantic if she'd fancied him and they went on to have a relationship. This woman just didn't fancy him, and it'd have been the same result whether it was in Tescos or if he'd approached her in a bar. There's nothing wrong or bad about her not fancying this bloke, but it doesn't make him sleazy or creepy.

Men often approach women and get rejected. The potential for rejection alone makes it hard enough as it is to ask a woman out without the additional fear of being labelled creepy.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I notice a lot of men queuing up to tell us all that they aren't offended by this. I'm not really sure you're supposed to be but I think you should be able to acknowledge why someone else might be. Whether it is his intention or not, what Gayle is saying is, 'I don't respect you in your job but if you fancy a ****, I'm up for that,' which I supect is something she has had to deal with a lot in what she does.

Let's say you were doing a job, that involved you working bloody hard to get where you are. You are horrified by the prospect of someone thinking that you were there just for your looks. You are trying to do that job and a work colleague won't take you seriously because they are fixated on your looks. That's got to piss you off.

Another way of looking at it, put yourself in the body of a confident, bright, good looking woman (no giggling at the back please.) You spend your life, since being a very young girl getting sleazed on by guys focused solely on your looks to the point that rather than find it a confidence boost (and why do you need that? You ARE confident, you don't need external validation) you actually find it patronising, a bit sad and slightly repulsive. What you want most in the world? To be taken seriously.

It's the same as the solicitor who got fed up of her Linked In photo being sleazed on. It's really not that that hard to understand.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
These sports channels need to start hiring ugly birds , that will soon stamp this sort of lark out.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Meanwhile, with Chris Gayle and Mel McLaughlin - it was a professional sports interviewer, in the confines of their respective work environment, in front of millions of people. And he should know better.

I'd be looking forward to Chris Gayle flirting with Aggers or Bumble next time he's interviewed. Will he do that? Of course not - he doesn't fancy them (though who knows...?). But any attraction is irrelevant in the context of a professional sports presenter interviewing a professional sports person.

Listening to Alison Mitchell (TMS commentator) this morning on air was quite revealing regarding the attitude of some to female sport journalists. She was saying that while she hasn't experienced that level of crudity from a sportsperson, she knows of other female journalists who have. If she had been on the receiving end of Gayle's remarks, she said, she would have been very annoyed.

McLaughlin herself has since made her feelings known. Fair play to her.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/vi...laughlin-reacts-to-chris-gayle-comments-video

I agree with you about the Gayle thing.

Yes, the female was in a rush with shopping. This however does not make the approach creepy and perverse but acceptable if she was not busy, does it?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I always find myself in the COMPLETELY unoffended camp whenever something like this pops up.

But I do think on this occasion he was quite inappropriate and clearly made someone doing their job feel quite uncomfortable. Am I outraged? No.Do I think he overstepped the mark? Yes.

THIS
Different times maybe, but he did go just a bit too far this time.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Disappointing start to the year El Pres and hard to believe any hottie could resist your immense charm and charisma. Have you considered hanging round the cake sections as the women you meet there are probably less picky.

Wise words JC.

Next time I'll make sure I've sprayed on a bit of LYNX and will offer her a slice of battenburg.

Result!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
There's nothing wrong with approaching someone doing their shopping or other everyday mundane stuff - it would be labelled as romantic if she'd fancied him and they went on to have a relationship. This woman just didn't fancy him, and it'd have been the same result whether it was in Tescos or if he'd approached her in a bar. There's nothing wrong or bad about her not fancying this bloke, but it doesn't make him sleazy or creepy.

Men often approach women and get rejected. The potential for rejection alone makes it hard enough as it is to ask a woman out without the additional fear of being labelled creepy.

I agree with you about the Gayle thing.

Yes, the female was in a rush with shopping. This however does not make the approach creepy and perverse but acceptable if she was not busy, does it?

I agree with you both about with what happened regarding the shopping tale - and what on the face of it appears to be an exaggerated reaction on the part of Matt's friend.

My point was to lump the two stories together as 'man approaches woman in a feeling of (unrequited) attraction' is a bit disingenuous, even if in both cases the woman was made to feel uncomfortable. There's a time and place where it's less inappropriate to go flirting. Supermarkets - maybe. At work in front of millions - unwise.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Alison Mitchell on TMS this morning made a good point. As a sports journalist, she said a lot of the job is about networking and relationship building. To do that properly, journalists need to give out their phone number, sometimes have dinner with sports people. At times, this has been misinterpreted.

It's important, in my view, that non-professional behavior is challenged and it made clear that it is unacceptable.

PG

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The same solicitor who was oggling men and sleazing onto them on social media.

Good ole double standards to the rescue once again.

The distinction being that the social media she was using wasn't work related. So it's not really.

The double standards argument is something of a cop out anyway, it completely fails to acknowledge the traditional powerbases of male/ female relationships. And anyway, is there really any straight cis-gender man out there that would rather have been born a woman for reasons of opportunity?

I also note, that you didn't quote any of the rest of the post. Does that mean that you are broadly in agreement with those points?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here