Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Gayle Fined

SAC

May 21, 2014
It's a huge fine but it is going to a good charity,

Personally I was more offended by the names of their cricket teams out there.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I can't belive this took so long to appear, thought it'd be nice and frothy mouthed for a few hours already.

I don't think a fine was particularly necessary, and it's hardly offensive, but if it made the presenter uncomfortable then regardless of whether he thought it was harmless fun or not, it wasn't.

How can you ensure that you do not cause discomfort when trying trying to get a date with someone?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
That's to be expected, she's a Palace slag.

Thanks for making me spit half chewed sausage roll over my desk. I was not expecting that comment!

Also - if she was offended then it was wrong and yes she did look a little taken aback when he first said it. But if it has been done before by him then surely the employers have failed to protect their staff? If he is going to do it then just don't give him air time.

Strange that the comment made about him was ignored though...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How to bowl a maiden over - NOT.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
How can you ensure that you do not cause discomfort when trying trying to get a date with someone?

Don't do it on live TV.
Don't be married.
Don't continue to talk about it once it is clear you have embarrassed someone.
Don't have a track record for saying the same goofy stuff to any pretty girl with a microphone.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
12391368_10153626142713889_7669209324930554665_n.jpg

Gotta love them double standards.

Women are treated like some special needs children these days.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
He did this to a friend of ours when he was over here last year. He is not fussy - she was a rock chick in the late 70's, so that tells you how old she is. Chatted her up in a club then asked her back to his hotel room. She declined stating that she was "too old for that sh&t". He moved on to the next female in the club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's actually quite funny, it reminds me of Ali G. Gayle might just as well have said: "You iz so fit babe, me wants to bone you, aii?!"

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Ever seen Alan Carr or Graham Norton's chat shows?

Also did Reid get fined 5k? I've not seen the interview (just read the article) FWIW but if he made her feel uncomfortable just an apology would have done...

Alan Carr is a one trick pony and stopped being funny years ago (if he ever was). Norton plays more of a straight bat but does occasionally lapse into perviness.

One relevant example I seem to remember was Stephen Fry 'flirting' with Jack Whitehall on QI. Can you imagine the response to a 50 something hetrosexual male host coming on to a female guest in her early 20's on the BBC of all places!

Social media armageddon.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The girl's employer has to take some responsibility here; if he's a known philanderer then they should have had a bloke interview him or not interviewed him at all. When I worked outside mending phones, there were a few places that had notes on such as "Two man job" or "no women to attend alone".

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The girl's employer has to take some responsibility here; if he's a known philanderer then they should have had a bloke interview him or not interviewed him at all. When I worked outside mending phones, there were a few places that had notes on such as "Two man job" or "no women to attend alone".

Why should any 'known philanderer' dictate who does or doesn't interview him? The onus is on him to behave himself professionally, especially somewhere which is considered both his and her workplace.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Why should any 'known philanderer' dictate who does or doesn't interview him? The onus is on him to behave himself professionally, especially somewhere which is considered both his and her workplace.

I think it is more a case of knowingly putting someone in that situation when a bit of common sense would have shielded her from any harassment. Not to say that he should be allowed to act like that, but that there needs to be some form of protection for staff from their employers

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Doing almost everything opposite to Gayle would be a good start.

For example, on live TV when they're doing their job (or trying to) probably isn't ever going to be a strong start.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I think it is more a case of knowingly putting someone in that situation when a bit of common sense would have shielded her from any harassment. Not to say that he should be allowed to act like that, but that there needs to be some form of protection for staff from their employers

But that would legitimise his behaviour.

"Don't let a woman interview her - he'll only harrass her..."

How about the more reasonable and professional "Chris - don't harrass her...?"

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Although on the face of it the fine may seem a bit excessive, it has had the effect of at least bringing his repeated behaviour into the spotlight, prior to which it went largely unnoticed. The effect of this will hopefully mean he will curb his behaviour in the future.
Also comparing flirty female reporters' with such behaviour is not really relevant. Women do not generally pose a physical or sexual threat to men so men are less likely to feel intimidated by their flirting. There's nothing wrong with a harmless bit of flirting if you are picking up on the signals and reciprocating accordingly but to just come out with such unsolicited comments is totally inappropriate and understandably a woman could feel uncomfortable. Men should be aware of that, especially those who wield a certain amount of power like sportsmen and other celebrities, because then it just becomes an abuse of the position and admiration they hold in peoples' eyes. Such behaviour can easily escalate into something far more malevolent if left unchallenged as the many instances of male celebrity abuses can testify. At least this fine might have nipped something in the bud if nothing else.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Isn't that basically saying that it's ok for Gayle to do that and it's somehow the reporter/employers fault for allowing someone to just do their job? Why not cut out the issue and say to Chris "look, stop being a creep".

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
But that would legitimise his behaviour.

"Don't let a woman interview her - he'll only harrass her..."

How about the more reasonable and professional "Chris - don't harrass her...?"

But I said that as well! It needs to be both. He can't act like that (well he can, but shouldn't)

However, if there is a risk he will then what is the point of putting someone in that position?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
However, if there is a risk he will then what is the point of putting someone in that position?

That's still legitimising his behaviour; making allowances for it.

The one and only responsibility in this scenario within the workplace is for him to behave appropriately. It's not rocket science.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here