Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
The conspiracy (if that’s your thing) would Shirley have to be that Pawson deliberately gave a penalty, knowing that Gillet VAR would overrule him thus depriving us of a corner but being forced as per the rules to give Chelsea a drop ball

Bit of a reach innit
Totally, there's no conspiracy or corruption. VAR is used terribly and has the officials as confused as everybody else.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No they wouldn't, not on what's been said here. If he awarded the first one, then that's presumably 'when play stops'?
Only if he over turns the decision

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Where is this law? Law 8 refers to drop balls where the ref stops play. As the ball was already out - he didn't 'stop' play?

View attachment 170723
Regardless of when he blew the whistle and awarded the penalty it is taken that play is stopped at the penalty incident and anything that happened after that is no longer relevant as the ball was no longer in play.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Only if he over turns the decision
Yes - that's the scenario posed by @Triggaaar "If one of your players appears to be fouled in the box, and a split second later another player is wiped out - both penalties in the refs view, so he blows his whistle and gives the first one. VAR checks it, the first one isn't a penalty, the second is. Result = drop ball for the offending team."

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Very disappointed to lose this and let's be honest we lost it ourselves. 2 soft goals given away and although Caicedo should have been sent off too, we can't keep giving these soft goals away. Milner made silly challenge for their pen which again was avoidable.
Sums it up rather well.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We still look vulnerable to the ball in the box. We give away corners in a very risk averse kind of way, but we don't look at all convincing in defending them. Brentford and Burnley will be massively targeting this. Improvement needed

Ah we have to be honest we didn’t quite do enough in the second half against 10 men. Sanchez wasn’t worked enough, Pedro’s goal came out of the blue but lightning wasn’t going to strike twice. We deserved a point definitely but it’s not a huge total to lose, that. Let’s perform in these 2 home games now - get 6 points - and make this game a distant memory

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
How do you explain Cashiedo not getting a second yellow then? He was never going to give him a second yellow and that is cheating surely.
I've used the word corruption too and maybe that's over stating it. OR maybe it's not? We know corruption exists within world football, just look at what happened with Juventus. I guess people were calling others conspiracy theorists at the time and look what happened there. "Big" team bias is 100% certain. Look at Fabinho on Ferguson last season, not even sent to VAR. Corruption is difficult to prove, legal teams are paid huge sums of money by the mega rich for a very good reason. As a unfair as it is, we just have to try and let it go or put our blinkers on as they'd like us to do. Personally I struggle as can't get past there being fairness in many walks of life. All boils down to 💶💰 😕

Last edited:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I would love to hear an explanation of why neither of caicedo’s fouls warranted a second yellow. I don’t think it is corruption, I just think refs are intimidated. Possibly a few per cent of the decision making process is about stuff managers have said. Shouldn’t be but it’s human nature.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I've used the word corruption too and maybe that's over stating it. OR maybe it's not? We know corruption exists within world football, just look at what happened with Juventus. I guess people were calling others conspiracy theorists at the time and look what happened there. "Big" team bias is 100% certain. Look at Fabinho on Ferguson last season, not even sent to VAR. Corruption is difficult to prove, legal teams are paid huge sums of money by the mega rich for a very good reason. As a unfair as it is, we just have to try and let it go or put our blinkers on as they'd like us to do. Personally I struggle as can't get past there being no fairness in many walks of life. All boils down to 💶💰 😕
Corruption is a very strong word, it's a specific crime and as you say, requires a strong burden of proof.

But is the PL structured to tackle the pressures which exist on officials to give decisions the way of the rich, the strong, or those who shout the loudest?

I'm not sure. The fact that officials are earning presumably very good money reffing in leagues where the state finances the league and owns clubs here is a massive conflict of interest in my view.

Are the refereeing assessors having honest conversations with the refs about unconscious bias in decision making? In particular to bigger teams or home teams or teams with a vociferous manager? I doubt it. There seems to be a chumminess and a closed club sort of mentality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here