Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
It's been an odd game today. Given we're down, I think, 10 starting players,I didn't really expect a great deal. To take it that close, after the game in Athens, is impressive.

Having said that, you'll win very, very few games going down 2-0 in the first 20 minutes. That's a statistical fact. Mr Bloom will confirm. So all the hot air about reffing is all well and good, but is not the reason we lost.

Still, a good effort today and our Stiffs are getting good opportunities to stake a claim for a starting place.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Think it shows the squad currently lacks depth which hopefully is partially addressed in January. Playing the u21s is good for their development but not so many at the same time

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
He was great for us, we were great for him . . . It could have gone either way in the summer.

He's history now and most of us won't remember him fondly after today. I thought his gamesmanship was proper chelsea.
He was always going back to them based on money. As you suggest I applauded him at the start but after his antics at the end it's a firm Panto boo from me.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
I don't think you sound sanctimonious.
His photo is out in the public domain and much as we post pictures of players and other BHA staff when we call them out for something good, I think we should be allowed to do the same if they're worthy of the opposite.
Now I'm sure this guy tries really hard at his job but he just seems to be failing in his role.
No reason to not call him out.

However, saying that, others can find BHA first team set piece coach with a simple Google search
and I'm not a vicious person and don't like being mean, upsetting people in any way so I'll delete his picture.
I'm sure we're all sick of being reminded just how poor our set pieces are anyhow.
Cheers. Nothing wrong with debating what value staff members are bringing to team performance and I agree our set pieces, especially corners, have been shocking, both defensively and offensively.

This bloke is going to be the first person to face scrutiny for this. I wonder whether it's possible that RDZ prefers to have the players practising passing movements rather than set pieces and that Stanley gets relatively little time to work on set pieces with the players, but that's just a guess. One thing's for sure - Tony will be looking into what's going on.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Out of interest, do you think Caicedo deserved to stay on the pitch?

Terrible refereeing on that front. Should’ve been down to 9.
There’s the clue. Down to 9. I reckon Caicedo would have been sent off if Chelsea had 11 on the pitch.

It’s garbage, of course, as the rules aren’t supposed to be flexed depending on previous offences.

Refs are probably guilty of a form of unconscious bias towards teams who have already had a player sent off, as they’re probably loath to be seen to be “picking” on them.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It's been an odd game today. Given we're down, I think, 10 starting players,I didn't really expect a great deal. To take it that close, after the game in Athens, is impressive.

Having said that, you'll win very, very few games going down 2-0 in the first 20 minutes. That's a statistical fact. Mr Bloom will confirm. So all the hot air about reffing is all well and good, but is not the reason we lost.

Still, a good effort today and our Stiffs are getting good opportunities to stake a claim for a starting place.
Yes part of the issue is players out but also think it is down to who we start with and that was down to the manager.

Lallana is a clever player but has no legs , can't run and so no drive forward or cover.

Not sure why we didn't start with Mitoma though I can understand giving Jao Pedro a rest.

Personally prefer to see Bart in goal as IMO he's a better shot stopper.

Overall though we are not shooting with conviction and too many passes rather than balls driven across the goal.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
There’s the clue. Down to 9. I reckon Caicedo would have been sent off if Chelsea had 11 on the pitch.

It’s garbage, of course, as the rules aren’t supposed to be flexed depending on previous offences.

Refs are probably guilty of a form of unconscious bias towards teams who have already had a player sent off, as they’re probably loath to be seen to be “picking” on them.
As they also do very often in the first 30 minutes as it might "spoil the game"

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Yes part of the issue is players out but also think it is down to who we start with and that was down to the manager.

Lallana is a clever player but has no legs , can't run and so no drive forward or cover.

Not sure why we didn't start with Mitoma though I can understand giving Jao Pedro a rest.

Overall though we are not shooting with conviction and too many passes rather than balls driven across the goal.
Was mentioned in the press conference that both Mitoma and Pedro were subject to late fitness tests and neither was likely to start.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

How would have Bart's presence changed things today?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Haha, that’s a very fair point! Football makes me rules so difficult and so open to interpretation unlike other sports. Just tell us what the rules are and enforce them, it’s so infuriating
Well they keep changing them. In the 50 odd years I’ve been playing it and watching it I don’t think the handball rule has stop jumping about ffs.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
How would have Bart's presence changed things today?
I think he is more dominant and MIGHT have got to the crosses for the goals, especially the first one. All a matter of opinion and what ifs but as much as I like Steele I hink Bart should be number 2.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Has any referee after saying no penalty and asked to review onscreen EVER said no, I was right?
Yes and in our favour. Actually wasn’t a penalty situation but Lampteys first goal he ever scored for us in the first season of var, involved the ref being sent to the monitor and he stuck with his original decision

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here