[Football] Chelsea Twitter- hilarious

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Me? For not seeing the funny side of, and excusing, an account which is racist? Wise up

I guess it’s just a difference of opinions over what’s acceptable and funny in 2023. Intriguing that you both go for me over it though, says more about yourselves
Let me try again. And, apologies for my being rude.

It can be easy to miss an 'in joke' when those familiar with it no longer bother to signal the joke.

And it can be too easy to become exasperated explaining it to those unfamiliar.

Perhaps we (and I include myself) need to remember that jokes that need to be explained sometimes backfire.

Apologies for being thoughtlessly rude.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Also, just so we're clear, people satirising Boris Johnson by having a character that bumbles, breaks the law and comes out with casual racist or sexist phrases are also fine. Because they're sending up Boris.

Wait. Excuse my ignorance, I've been out of the country for a long while. But are you telling me Boris Johnson was actually prime minister of the UK and not a parody? Cripes! Maybot, Truss and Rishi Rich were surely all spoofs though, right?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Me? For not seeing the funny side of, and excusing, an account which is racist? Wise up

I guess it’s just a difference of opinions over what’s acceptable and funny in 2023. Intriguing that you both go for me over it though, says more about yourselves
"What’s acceptable and funny to" YOU, I think you mean. No one at any point has asked me what I think about this new orthodoxy yet I’m instructed by people like you that I must accept it.

As it happens, I’m sympathetic to some, even most, of it. But I deeply resent the way it’s been presented as a fait accompli without consultation.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
The last sentence from that Guardian piece is priceless: 'Amid possibly ridiculous talk that his position is already under threat, Pochettino has been fielding questions about his employers’ habit of dropping by the Stamford Bridge dressing room unannounced for post-match pow-wows with their players. “I don’t see it in a bad way,” he tooted. “For me it is good, always, if they share with [the coaching staff], then can say hello to the players. The difference is if they came for some speech or different things, then maybe that is different. In the way they came, of course they are very welcome. They own the club, they can do whatever they want.” Messrs Boehly and Eghbali may well pay another visit again on Wednesday night, but if it’s the one we suspect it will be, Brighton owner Tony Bloom might be well served performing a head-count on the team bus before the short drive home.'

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
"What’s acceptable and funny to" YOU, I think you mean. No one at any point has asked me what I think about this new orthodoxy yet I’m instructed by people like you that I must accept it.

As it happens, I’m sympathetic to some, even most, of it. But I deeply resent the way it’s been presented as a fait accompli without consultation.
Too many people walk around in a cloak of insecurity and nervousness, afraid to put a foot or word out of line. There are now invisible controls in our society and self confidence is only gained by peer group acceptance. Freedom of thought is rare as successive generations in school have been taught what to think and not how to think.
Debate has given way to cancel culture and more importantly, we are still poor at set pieces.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You do know what is going to happen tonight don’t you?

I still went for 1-3 to the Albion on the predictions thread though :smile:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You do know what is going to happen tonight don’t you?

We sensibly rest a bunch of players and give some of the fringe players some game time.

We've identified this competition as lower in priority to other comps and pick the team accordingly.

Due to Chelsea having little else to play for this season they pick their best squad and try super hard.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Too many people walk around in a cloak of insecurity and nervousness, afraid to put a foot or word out of line. There are now invisible controls in our society and self confidence is only gained by peer group acceptance. Freedom of thought is rare as successive generations in school have been taught what to think and not how to think.
Debate has given way to cancel culture and more importantly, we are still poor at set pieces.

That's a well written addition to the old man shouts at cloud oeuvre but I can't say I agree.

Plenty of young people still believe that no topic is off limits when it comes to comedy but it's all about context, delivery and the target.

If the joke is punching down, many, young and old, would say it's not acceptable. Is that a bad thing? A bit of racist/sexist banter at work may have been ok a few decades ago but now it'd be viewed very differently. Likewise, with people blacking up until very recently. Times change.

Last week, someone on here made a "joke" about Koreans eating dogs. Is that funny? Imo it's just perpetuating stereotypes and has no comedic value.

Of course there are some today that would set boundaries on what is acceptable but that's always been true. There were blasphemy laws in Britain until recently and still are in Northern Ireland. Mary Whitehouse wanted to ban everything in the 70s. Some of the free-thinking older generation find things like a gay kiss on TV an affront to decency; perhaps, because they were taught that it was?

Tldr: the idea that older generations are free-thinking radicals whilst the youth today are closed minded snowflakes is bollocks imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here