Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chelsea plan to knock down Stamford Bridge and build a new 60,000 capacity stadium

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
you can hardly talk about percentage of capacity as a defence , if it was a 3000 capacity and 2700 turned up would you be quoting those figures ? The point is , that yolu have acquired lots of new fans since bloom turned up and the stadium got built , you can talk about returning fans all you like , but if you do then the same could be applied to chelsea.

I have not talked about returning fans, or whatever - and I really don't care about that argument at all as it just seems like willy waving to me. I'm just pointing out that the argument that 'we didn't fill Withdean' is a rather spurious one to make, because for the first few seasons we categorically DID fill it. You also have to bear in mind that when we were there the club did actually report the actual attendance rather than tickets sold - there was always a high proportion of season ticket holders at Withdean, and rather like at the Amex not all of them turned up every week, add that to away support in the tens rather than the hundreds and you start to have a reason why the ground wasn't 'full' in later seasons.

I would also agree with previous replies to this thread that Withdean should not be thought of as a proper football stadium, as the experience was more often than not, unpleasant. I should know, I was a season ticket holder for the duration. I happily take my four year old son to the Amex, I wouldn't ever have taken him there though.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I have not talked about returning fans, or whatever - and I really don't care about that argument at all as it just seems like willy waving to me. I'm just pointing out that the argument that 'we didn't fill Withdean' is a rather spurious one to make, because for the first few seasons we categorically DID fill it. You also have to bear in mind that when we were there the club did actually report the actual attendance rather than tickets sold - there was always a high proportion of season ticket holders at Withdean, and rather like at the Amex not all of them turned up every week, add that to away support in the tens rather than the hundreds and you start to have a reason why the ground wasn't 'full' in later seasons.

I would also agree with previous replies to this thread that Withdean should not be thought of as a proper football stadium, as the experience was more often than not, unpleasant. I should know, I was a season ticket holder for the duration. I happily take my four year old son to the Amex, I wouldn't ever have taken him there though.
Seriously , why ? i took my kids a couple of times , but maybe my experience backs up your argument when my four year old at the time loudly piped up ''this isnt a real football ground like chelsea is it dad !''

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
you can hardly talk about percentage of capacity as a defence , if it was a 3000 capacity and 2700 turned up would you be quoting those figures ? The point is , that yolu have acquired lots of new fans since bloom turned up and the stadium got built , you can talk about returning fans all you like , but if you do then the same could be applied to chelsea.

FFS that really is clutching at straws. You could not fill Withdean bla, bla, bla. The fact was it was full for most of the time we were there. As someone who was a season ticket holder, at time times it was totally soul destroying place to watch football. There was sod all protection from the weather. It was actually a miracle that anyone turned up during the winter and to endure that for 12 years was fantastic

If you want to see how loyal your fans are, try it. Close your ground, convert a local park in to your home ground, install uncovered seating and buy players that you can afford. Do that for 12 years and see how many fans you keep. Until you do, you know naff all.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
FFS that really is clutching at straws. You could not fill Withdean bla, bla, bla. The fact was it was full for most of the time we were there. As someone who was a season ticket holder, at time times it was totally soul destroying place to watch football. There was sod all protection from the weather. It was actually a miracle that anyone turned up during the winter and to endure that for 12 years was fantastic

If you want to see how loyal your fans are, try it. Close your ground, convert a local park in to your home ground, install uncovered seating and buy players that you can afford. Do that for 12 years and see how many fans you keep. Until you do, you know naff all.
neither do you ,try reading the posts properly, im not trying to say how loyal chewlsea fans are , i'm commenting on the totally unjustified holier than thou attitude of some brighton fans.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Very well said.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
neither do you ,try reading the posts properly, im not trying to say how loyal chewlsea fans are , i'm commenting on the totally unjustified holier than thou attitude of some brighton fans.

Like I said try it! Then lets see how loyal your fans are. After what we went through we have a right to be proud.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Like I said try it! Then lets see how loyal your fans are. After what we went through we have a right to be proud.
what about the 20000 new fans ?? do they ?

Last edited:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I dont ''support'' brighton , i am and always will be chelsea , i go to watch football at brighton , and love it when they do well , its mostly down to my disillusionment with how football is in the premier league and what chelsea have become, so it doesnt '' say it all '' whatsoever.

Will you ditch your ST and go and watch Whitehawk instead if Brighton get promoted then? :???:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Will you ditch your ST and go and watch Whitehawk instead if Brighton get promoted then? :???:
i doubt it mate , my eldest boy would kill me if i did, i brought both kids up as chelsea fans but the eldest is now brighton first , although there was a twinge of disappoiuntment in me , ive got to hand it to him , hes no gloryhunter.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I can't speak for all of them, but when I last did maths, 27000 cannot fit in to a 8000 seat ground. Maybe they wrote letters, marched, bought CD's and went to away games. Who knows?
no they cant , the capacity is 8850 , so that many can and during brightons tenure there the average attendance was never above 7352 , so there was room for 1500 odd of those 27000 to go to a game , but they didnt, did they ?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
i doubt it mate , my eldest boy would kill me if i did, i brought both kids up as chelsea fans but the eldest is now brighton first , although there was a twinge of disappoiuntment in me , ive got to hand it to him , hes no gloryhunter.

You come across as a bit of a 'Glory Hunter' by following the mighty Albion:albion2:

I would be embarrassed if I came out with the crap you have done - pipe down YOU

This is our club - your own club needs a bit of support at the mo so do feck off there - you won't be missed:wave:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
no they cant , the capacity is 8850 , so that many can and during brightons tenure there the average attendance was never above 7352 , so there was room for 1500 odd of those 27000 to go to a game , but they didnt, did they ?
You are extremely wrong and extremely boring. The support shown by Albion fans during the wilderness years was excellent and we are rightly proud of it - most other clubs of similar league standing would not have had anything like the same support.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Anyway, back on topic.

Not sure I like the aerial view but I liked the plans showing the view from the side.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You are extremely wrong and extremely boring. The support shown by Albion fans during the wilderness years was excellent and we are rightly proud of it - most other clubs of similar league standing would not have had anything like the same support.
what am i wrong about ?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
no they cant , but 8850 can and during brightons tenure there the average attendance was never above 7352 , so there was room for 1500 odd of those 27000 to go to a game , but they didnt, did they ?

minus the 800 seats at they away end, a whole 700 people some times did not turn up when they could. Tut, tut, tut, what a fickle bunch we are. As people had said maybe a lot of them were season ticket holders who could not make on those days, I know I missed a few through work etc. They used to count the tickets use then, not sold. The reason I bought a season ticket even though I lived in Reading was because it was bloody difficult to buy tickets for individual games certainly in the early days.

I seriously can not believe you can even begin to comment on why some people may choose to skip some games.

If you ever get a time machine, go back to a time to when we were there. Sit in the south stand on a very wet windy cold winters day so that your clothes are so wet that you could have sat in a full bath and been dryer and watch your team hoof the ball from one end of the pitch to the other and inevitably lose. When you have done that we can continue this discussion, because you will then be able to do it with some understanding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here