Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chelsea plan to knock down Stamford Bridge and build a new 60,000 capacity stadium

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Good to see England's grounds leading the World, the out of date Stadiums council owned in Italy (not Juve) and ugly old blocks in the US falling further behind

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
ive been given various excuses such as the terrible facilities , rubbish quality of football , all things that chelsea suffered from until they got a rich benefactor , you really ought to be able to see the parallels

Yes, because of course Withdean was a very similar stadium to Stamford Bridge. Chelsea may not have always been a successful top flght team, and had a few seasons in what is now the Championship. But to compare that to our struggles in the lower divisions, including finishing second from bottom in the entire league for two consecutive seasons is ludicrous.

brighton dont get promotion .... then i can guarantee they will see fans deserting in their droves

Nonsense. Our attendances aren't much up on last season. We had a terrible season last year and were still one of the best supported teams in the division.

Brighton used to average 25,000 in the late seventies and for two seasons were the 12th best supported team in the entire league. We lost of lot of fans beacuse for two seasons we had to play home league games 70 miles from Brighton and then moved to a stadium barely worthy of the name.

I really can't see the 'parallels' between Brighton and Chelsea at all.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yes, because of course Withdean was a very similar stadium to Stamford Bridge. Chelsea may not have always been a successful top flght team, and had a few seasons in what is now the Championship. But to compare that to our struggles in the lower divisions, including finishing second from bottom in the entire league for two consecutive seasons is ludicrous.

Nonsense. Our attendances aren't much up on last season. We had a terrible season last year and were still one of the best supported teams in the division.

Brighton used to average 25,000 in the late seventies and for two seasons were the 12th best supported team in the entire league. We lost of lot of fans beacuse for two seasons we had to play home league games 70 miles from Brighton and then moved to a stadium barely worthy of the name.

I really can't see the 'parallels' between Brighton and Chelsea at all.
Then youre delusional, both were shit stadiums, but it matters not, you still couldnt fill it , chelsea came within a game of going down to the old 3rd division at one stage, and would've gone bankrupt if abramovich hadnt bought them , then along comes a rich benefactor (abramovich/bloom) a shiny new stadium and money spent on the team, and hey presto 20,000 odd new or ''returning'' fans .

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Obviously their plans to build on Chelsea Barracks been shelved.
Do you mean battersea power station ? I've never heard of any plans to build on Chelsea Barracks , the flats that are being built there by the candy brothers were agreed long ago.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
right , i'll state my case , im a season ticket holder at brighton , ive had 4 season tickets for 3 years , i gave up my chelsea season ticket last year, so ive no interest in simply slagging off brighton, but it amazes me how brighton fans can self righteously slag off plastics, jcl's or whatever you want to call them when their own team couldnt fill an 8000 capacity ground until very , very recently, ive been given various excuses such as the terrible facilities , rubbish quality of football , all things that chelsea suffered from until they got a rich benefactor , you really ought to be able to see the parallels , if brighton dont get promotion or went back down to league one then i can guarantee they will see fans deserting in their droves , hopefully it wont happen and ''we'' will get promoted this year, either way i'll be back next season along with my kids.

I'm sorry, but are you comparing Albion's 3 years away from the town then over a decade in a converted local athletics 'stadium' with the 'poor' facilities you had in your very own football stadium?

Good times we might have had but Withdean was NEVER a football ground.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
you still couldnt fill it.

Says it all. I can't get my head round supporting two teams. The big quesion of course is if we go up and play Chelsea at the Amex next year who will you support given you are a Brighton season ticket holder?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'm sorry, but are you comparing Albion's 3 years away from the town then over a decade in a converted local athletics 'stadium' with the 'poor' facilities you had in your very own football stadium?

Wasn't the cantilever stand at Stamford Bridge once regarded as the best in the country? Some images from the 1980s:

stamford-bridge-1984.jpg

BTAHHwvIUAAyx6l.jpg

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

And ?? The point is that you couldnt fill it , but once the shiny new stadium arrived ..............

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do you mean battersea power station ? I've never heard of any plans to build on Chelsea Barracks , the flats that are being built there by the candy brothers were agreed long ago.

I am sure the barracks were muted at one time. Mind I think the government should have kept them as accomodation for MPs and get rid or not be able to claim for their London residence.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Says it all. I can't get my head round supporting two teams. The big quesion of course is if we go up and play Chelsea at the Amex next year who will you support given you are a Brighton season ticket holder?
I dont ''support'' brighton , i am and always will be chelsea , i go to watch football at brighton , and love it when they do well , its mostly down to my disillusionment with how football is in the premier league and what chelsea have become, so it doesnt '' say it all '' whatsoever.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I am sure the barracks were muted at one time. Mind I think the government should have kept them as accomodation for MPs and get rid or not be able to claim for their London residence.
I was gutted when the old barracks were demolished , part of my youth went when they did !

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Wasn't the cantilever stand at Stamford Bridge once regarded as the best in the country? Some images from the 1980s:

stamford-bridge-1984.jpg

BTAHHwvIUAAyx6l.jpg

This was part of the plans to build a 'mini Wembley', all four sides were going to be like the East stand and filled in corners. Chelsea nearly went bust after phase one (above), after it went crazily over budget, hence they had to sell off their prize playing assets and went on the downward spiral of nearly finding themselves in English footballs' third tier.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was gutted when the old barracks were demolished , part of my youth went when they did !

I was near there on the bombing and for some unknown reason stopped at a green light between there and Victoria station the bomb went off as my light went to green again. Had I not been half asleep or not paying attention when I stopped I would have been outside the barracks when the bomb went off. FATE

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
He always seemed to wear trousers IIRC - did he have a Perry Digweed incident once ???
perry digweed incident ?? he was shagging a bird i used to work with , cool story i know !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here