A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I hear they've bought all our trains so there won't be any next weekend

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
What did they do ?

I saw a lot of aggro with Chelsea fans in the train queue after the match, climbing the barrier to attack Albion fans and scaring the hell out of the families and kids they were barging out of the way. They seem to have a bigger proportion of d1ckheads than most clubs…

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
I saw a lot of aggro with Chelsea fans in the train queue after the match, climbing the barrier to attack Albion fans and scaring the hell out of the families and kids they were barging out of the way. They seem to have a bigger proportion of d1ckheads than most clubs…

True. Remember September 1983…

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I said before the spending power of Chelsea why would you sign Trossard? Without naming names there are champions league players way better than Tross in that position.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of Chelsea did want Trossaed, I don't think they'd be looking to pay megabucks for him; TB wouldn't want to give him away either. Most likely the scenario would match the Cucurella to Man. City outcome.
Caicedo might be a very attractive target for Potter, but that's one player we would,I think, demand silly money for before even answering the phone. It will be interesting if Conte keeps up his, 'Bissouma has a lot to learn', 'is not at the level of Hojbjerg and Bentancur' type of narrative (did Conte want Bissouma, or did the club hierarchy think he would be a good trophy signing (on the cheap because of hs contract coming to an end)) and Spurs and Biss decide to cut their losses in January or next summer. A cheaper option to replace Kante than Caicedo?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Carry on like that and we will be the richest club in the championship, or lower!
It is all very saying “ We won’t stand in your way”....but maybe it is time to wave the contract that they signed committing them to Brighton for a term . Only sell when we are ready, to stop them going as free agents.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Something not sitting right with me concerning recent events between the two clubs.

1 ) Chelsea pay way over the odds for Cucurella. City's valuation of £35 - £40m was about right. That is a £25m ish bonus for us.
2 ) Chelsea loan us their most talented young player.
3 ) Chelsea sell us Billy Gilmour. Talented young player. Very underpriced. Add on another £10m ish bonus for us.
4 ) Chelsea swoop for our talented manager and clean out our total first team support staff. All done, supposedly, in lightning quick time. Contracts, wage negotiations, due diligence, personal terms etc. TB expresses extreme disappointment but puts up no resistance as long as Chelsea fork out £21m compensation.
5 ) With no manager and support staff in place, we agree to play CHELSEA ( who have just pillaged us of everything bar the kitchen sink ) in a behind closed doors friendly. Our players, still reeling from the sudden and dramatic departure of all their support network, then have to rock up and play a game, with aforesaid departees all working from the opposite bench and gaining a very large psychological advantage.

Something doesn't feel quite right about our recent ' relationship ' with Chelsea. There is more contact and transaction, by a long way, with them, than any other club. Now our ex manager is there, it is anticipated that he will try and recruit our prized assets and after all this, a feeling persists that he will meet little resistance. Maybe its just all coincidence. Maybe not.

Reactions: W3D

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It's going to hurt when Sanchez, Trossard and Caicedo are sold to Chelsea. Maybe also Mac Allister - which is the one which will hurt me most.

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
Something not sitting right with me concerning recent events between the two clubs.

1 ) Chelsea pay way over the odds for Cucurella. City's valuation of £35 - £40m was about right. That is a £25m ish bonus for us.
3 ) Chelsea sell us Billy Gilmour. Talented young player. Very underpriced. Add on another £10m ish bonus for us.
4 ) Chelsea swoop for our talented manager and clean out our total first team support staff. All done, supposedly, in lightning quick time. Contracts, wage negotiations, due diligence, personal terms etc. TB expresses extreme disappointment but puts up no resistance as long as Chelsea fork out £21m compensation.
5 ) With no manager and support staff in place, we agree to play CHELSEA ( who have just pillaged us of everything bar the kitchen sink ) in a behind closed doors friendly. Our players, still reeling from the sudden and dramatic departure of all their support network, then have to rock up and play a game, with aforesaid departees all working from the opposite bench and gaining a very large psychological advantage.

Something doesn't feel quite right about our recent ' relationship ' with Chelsea. There is more contact and transaction, by a long way, with them, than any other club. Now our ex manager is there, it is anticipated that he will try and recruit our prized assets and after all this, a feeling persists that he will meet little resistance. Maybe its just all coincidence. Maybe not.

myy thoughts entirely

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Ok so you think Chelsea will meet little resistance because:
1. Chelsea had to pay £25m above market value for Cucurella
2. Chelsea loaned out a player they don't need (and who isnt really their most talented player)
3. Chelsea couldnt get more than £10m for Gilmour
4. Tony wouldn't break the law by "resisting" to accept the compensation clause written into contracts
5. Brighton felt it was good if the boys got a bit of match fitness rather than playing Liverpool in the league after a month of no football

... so Brighton "robbed" Chelsea on £35m, had no option but to accept their offer for the coaching team and got the match fit. Exactly what isn't "sitting right" with you?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Ok so you think Chelsea will meet little resistance because:
1. Chelsea had to pay £25m above market value for Cucurella
2. Chelsea loaned out a player they don't need (and who isnt really their most talented player)
3. Chelsea couldnt get more than £10m for Gilmour
4. Tony wouldn't break the law by "resisting" to accept the compensation clause written into contracts
5. Brighton felt it was good if the boys got a bit of match fitness rather than playing Liverpool in the league after a month of no football

... so Brighton "robbed" Chelsea on £35m, had no option but to accept their offer for the coaching team and got the match fit. Exactly what isn't "sitting right" with you?

So all this recent contact with Chelsea sits comfortably with you?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Not comfortably or uncomfortably, its business, logical business. Chelsea made a massive offer for Cucurella, so he was sold there. They have a thing for letting good youngsters go cheaply, so Brighton bought Gilmour just like they bought Lamptey a few years ago. And also used contract clauses to buy out GP & staff, which Brighton had no say in. Then played a friendly because it was a sensible thing for both clubs to do as GP wanted to see more of his players in action while Brighton wanted the players not to be 100% out of match fitness when the league restarts.

What is the problem exactly?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

He’s not an Albion fan, why would it be uncomfortable for him?

He can look at it pragmatically with no emotion attached and also be excited for GP :shrug:

Win/Win

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He’s not an Albion fan, why would it be uncomfortable for him?

Tony Bloom is an Albion fan and obviously it isn't uncomfortable for him to do business with a club that is willing to let players leave cheaply while also paying when buying players.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tony Bloom is an Albion fan and obviously it isn't uncomfortable for him to do business with a club that is willing to let players leave cheaply while also paying when buying players.

I realise you seem to think you know everything but you also KNOW TB was comfortable with his club being stripped of what was becoming a very successful coaching set up?

I doubt it but he is obviously accepting of it as he had very limited choices and whatever he feels he is not going to state emotionally to the fanbase.

The only time I have seen TB show emotion is related to Albion when they are playing or have just played and when his horses win.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I really don't think Trossard is good enough for a Top 6 club. But if that Yank wants to offer us £50m in the next transfer window then so be it. I really don't care. I'm rather bored by it all to be honest.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I’m not a Chelsea fan either, but firstly we’re not in a transfer window, and secondly even if they did want him, and that’s not a given, they would have to stump up another big fee and Leandro would have to decide if the extra money is worth having to compete with Stirling, Havertz, Aubamyang, Ziyech and presumably several other £50m + signings for a place

He should have a chat with Bissouma and ask if he regrets the move. If money is the main motivation then go for it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It's what happens though when executives, directors, lawyers, solicitors etc. are used to the appropriate lines of communication and who makes what decisions at what point. Everything becomes steamlined in comparison to dealing with a club or company you haven't dealt with before. Same with Southampton feeding Liverpool - clearly relationships and trust were forged and so that they completed 7 big moves in 5 years relatively seamlessly.

City's valuation of Cucurella may have been right in your opinion had Brighton wanted to sell, but we didn't. It was only an offer we couldn't refuse that released him. Plus Potter had a buy out clause in his contract, so there isn't really resistance Tony could have put up - it was a contractual clause.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I realise you seem to think you know everything but you also KNOW TB was comfortable with his club being stripped of what was becoming a very successful coaching set up?

I doubt it but he is obviously accepting of it as he had very limited choices.

I'm sure he would have preferred not to lose them but he's probably done enough business in his life to know that if you put a buyout clause in a contract then someone might use that buyout clause. Inconvenient and undesired, but nothing to be mad about really. Brighton would do the same thing (like using Veltmans buyout clause) if needed/wanted. If TB was furious I don't think the Chelsea friendly would have happened regardless of how sensible it was to play the game.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

Could also say the same for Chelsea - their fans may feel uncomfortable about us eying up more of their young talent and with an ex manager in charge letting them go on the cheap ? They may feel that was the reason WE asked for the friendly?
They may also feel it strange they paid a lot more for Cucurella than Man City thought he was worth ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here