Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea and Hove Albion

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm sure he would have preferred not to lose them but he's probably done enough business in his life to know that if you put a buyout clause in a contract then someone might use that buyout clause. Inconvenient and undesired, but nothing to be mad about really. Brighton would do the same thing (like using Veltmans buyout clause) if needed/wanted.

Of course but I very much doubt, as a fan rather than a businessman, he felt comfortable about it as you seemed to imply in an earlier post

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Of course but I very much doubt, as a fan rather than a businessman, he felt comfortable about it as you seemed to imply in an earlier post

As I added to the comment while you replied:

If TB was furious I don't think the Chelsea friendly would have happened regardless of how sensible it was to play the game.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

We set up a friendly against them Icy, what bigger confirmation do you need that business was conducted in a pragmatic, agreeable way? Surely if he was that uncomfortable / upset with what transpired, that friendly doesn't happen.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
We set up a friendly against them Icy, what bigger confirmation do you need that business was conducted in a pragmatic, agreeable way? Surely if he was that uncomfortable / upset with what transpired, that friendly doesn't happen.
Certainly it was pragmatic, however pragmatic does not necessarily imply agreeable.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I was pissed off with what happened but I totally get why we'd play a friendly against them, why cut of your nose to spite your face? I might but no way would TB :shrug:

I would be very very surprised if TB was not seriously pissed off too

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was pissed off with what happened but I totally get why we'd play a friendly against them, why cut of your nose to spite your face? I might but no way would TB :shrug:

I would be very very surprised if TB was not seriously pissed off too

Energy crisis, uncertain times, I wouldn't be surprised if TB was delighted with the business to be honest. Given how quickly Roberto has been sorted, succession planning had been rigorously done, he's gained a decent midfield prospect, and defensive cover on loan and ensured the club takes another step toward financial sustainability. Did we think TB was just going to carry on bank rolling the losses? You might not be able to handle the financial reality of the PL, but I suspect TB can. Probably future dealings with Chelsea to come to be honest, if they're prepared to meet our valuations, we'll be prepared to sell I expect.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Energy crisis, uncertain times, I wouldn't be surprised if TB was delighted with the business to be honest. Given how quickly Roberto has been sorted, succession planning had been rigorously done, he's gained a decent midfield prospect, and defensive cover on loan and ensured the club takes another step toward financial sustainability. Did we think TB was just going to carry on bank rolling the losses? You might not be able to handle the financial reality of the PL, but I suspect TB can. Probably future dealings with Chelsea to come to be honest, if they're prepared to meet our valuations, we'll be prepared to sell I expect.

TB the business man probably

TB the fan, I doubt it

Rock and a hard place

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I really don't think Trossard is good enough for a Top 6 club.

He already plays for a top 6 club, has done since the start of the season.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
TB the business man probably

TB the fan, I doubt it

Rock and a hard place

I'll wager TB the fan felt worse when he had to sack Hughton. This hard place you speak of is £70m odd against the losses the club makes. I bet it comes with cushions.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Really? funny that he is good enough to pull apart their defences.

Shame he can't pull apart every defence.

I'm just not convinced he's in the league of players that a 'Big 6' club is looking to sign.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Let’s look a bit further back - players we have signed/robbed from Chelsea

Chris Hutchins
Dale Jasper
Keith Dublin
Doug Rougvie
Colin Pates
Bob Isaacs
Liam Bridcutt
Leon Knight

And obviously more recently

Tariq Lamptey
Billy Gilmour
Levi Colwill (loan)

That’s just off the top of my head - feel free to add more

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Something not sitting right with me concerning recent events between the two clubs.

1 ) Chelsea pay way over the odds for Cucurella. City's valuation of £35 - £40m was about right. That is a £25m ish bonus for us.
2 ) Chelsea loan us their most talented young player.
3 ) Chelsea sell us Billy Gilmour. Talented young player. Very underpriced. Add on another £10m ish bonus for us.
4 ) Chelsea swoop for our talented manager and clean out our total first team support staff. All done, supposedly, in lightning quick time. Contracts, wage negotiations, due diligence, personal terms etc. TB expresses extreme disappointment but puts up no resistance as long as Chelsea fork out £21m compensation.
5 ) With no manager and support staff in place, we agree to play CHELSEA ( who have just pillaged us of everything bar the kitchen sink ) in a behind closed doors friendly. Our players, still reeling from the sudden and dramatic departure of all their support network, then have to rock up and play a game, with aforesaid departees all working from the opposite bench and gaining a very large psychological advantage.

Something doesn't feel quite right about our recent ' relationship ' with Chelsea. There is more contact and transaction, by a long way, with them, than any other club. Now our ex manager is there, it is anticipated that he will try and recruit our prized assets and after all this, a feeling persists that he will meet little resistance. Maybe its just all coincidence. Maybe not.

TB is either setting them up to be our feeder club.

Or, he is using them to screw loads of money out of, whilst we replace with similar for less?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here