Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Hebdo - merged

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Don't get your hopes up. The die and rot bit. Although if there were 72 virgins a **** would be a bit of a waste.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Sorry old fruit, but by and large we live in a representative democracy, not a plebiscitary one. That means you get the opportunity to cast your vote for someone to represent you at different levels, up to and including the European Parliament. The only plebiscites have been for European membership and devolution (in Scotland and Wales).

Yes, fully agree with you -this is the case. I wasn't particularly making out a case that a plebiscite should have taken place, and in any case when would have been the right time? After 1000, 50,000 or 100,000 immigrants. I was just stating that for many thousands, their lives will have been disrupted, as their area changed beyond recognition, and they would have found that rather perplexing, particularly as they would presumably have felt that they had no say in the matter.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Ok, this from the Oxford Union, published 27th Dec 2014. Most will not bother to watch or listen to the video, hopefully some will stick with it, then perhaps air their views. Ignore, bury your heads.......up to you.

Kept me up till way past my bedtime but well worth the watch. Every loon that screams "racist" should watch

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
72 Virgins ?

It's 72 white grapes, actually. I hope they like fruit.

"According to an Islam tradition, Muslim martyrs will go to paradise and marry 72 black-eyed virgins.
But some Koran scholars point to a less sexy paradise. While beautifully written, Islamic texts are often obscure. The Arabic language was born as a written language with the Koran, and growing evidence suggests that many of the words were Syriac or Aramaic.

Specifically, the Koran says martyrs going to heaven will get “hur,” and the word was taken by early commentators to mean “virgins,” hence those 72 concubines. But in Aramaic, hur actually meant “white” and was commonly used to specifically mean “white grapes.”

The philologist "Christoph Luxenburg", (who always uses a pseudonym for security reasons) notes that grapes would actually make more sense, because the text compares them to crystal and pearls, and because contemporary accounts have paradise abounding with fruit, especially white grapes."

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's 72 white grapes, actually. I hope they like fruit

My god. I bet they don't realise this! Is there anyway someone could tell them before they do something stupid. I doubt they read NSC but if anyone has a mobile number or email address, we could contact them before they kill themselves? This is a desperate situation. I just hope it does not end with sour grapes.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Yep, although they could have been heading to the airport. Many targets at an airport, but I had no idea the distance the RPG could go. apologies to everyone

They dont go far and are incredibly difficult to hit anything with above about 150m. If we accept that if they do have one, I'll suggest its the most prevalent version, an RPG7 with a standard HE warhead. So it can only go about a kilometer, but if i remember correctly after about 200m the chance of hitting a moving target is just over 50%. They have no guidance system and are affected by wind etc, so you have to aim off to 'drop' the projectile onto the target. I have fired several, trying to hit a tank at about 350m and missed with all bar one.

Don't get me wrong i wouldn't want to be in a static target about 150m away with one being fired towards me! :(

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Reports of shots being fired in a Jewish supermarket in Paris.

https://twitter.com/ZoraSuleman/status/553529488148295680
BFM TV is reporting that the man suspected of killing policewoman Clarissa Jean-Philippe in Montrouge yesterday is holding five hostages, including women and children, at a kosher supermarket near the Porte de Vincennes in the 20th arrondissement in Paris, Jon Henley reports from Paris.

The suspect reportedly told police officers at the scene: “You know who I am.”

The channel said at least one person has been injured.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
AFP now saying that Armed men have taken hostages in Jewish supermarket in Paris

AFP reporting that at least two people killed in that incident.

One of the terrorists is known to be female.

Attachments

• femterror.png
    femterror.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 274
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here