Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie austin?

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
If we'd had Austin since the start of the season, we'd be a long way clear at the top.

We are a long way clear at the top!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Austin 30 in 50 starts and Barnes is similar player with 13 in 21. If double that till end of season projects to 26 in 42 and very similar. Not saying will happen but in 6 months to a year Barnes maybe just as hot a commodity. Austin only in second season from non league remember and 23 to Barnes aged 21? We may have our Austin already in the fold, happy and signed up long term without another fee. Maybe give Barnes a chance and if we want a 3rd good striker, aim for a free transfer in the summer for someone with Championship+ experience! Wood is fine for now and who knows he may develop and be that signing in summer although I don't see it.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
My only problem with Barnes, apart from his ocassional wayward shots, is that he cannot hold up the ball at all and wins nothing in the air so will always need someone in the Murray mold to play alongside him. I just don't think he will ever be a complete striker like Austin, or Murray for that matter. As much as I like him, not having a dig.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
There are players that don't appear to be able to do much except score, is that a bad thing?

Looking back, examples could be Bryan Wade, Kurt Nogan and Alan Gilliver. barnes is young enough to improve but I hope he doesn't lose that scoring knack.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Okay? So thats a link to a page 'confirming' that Austin knows of no Saints interest, and that Swindon have accepted bids from Birmingham and QPR? Anything else exciting?
Perhaps you should start a thread entitled "Albion in for Spanish world cup star" and post it on their board?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
According to the comments on the Echo piece, they should only be signing players "who are playing regularly for clubs in the top half of the Championship" :lol:

One sage suggests Wes Hoolahan, and Glenn Murray gets a shout too.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
One sage suggests Wes Hoolahan, and Glenn Murray gets a shout too.

"Or Nugent from poopie.
They are skint and could do with off loading him.
Or even Murray from Brighton but he'll probably be going to a bigger club like us but in the Championship like Norwich or Leeds.
He definately won't be hanging around to long in rent boy village and hove."

He does seem bitter, doesn't he. :lolol:
Apparently Leeds are a "bigger club like Southampton". Bless.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Apparently Leeds are a "bigger club like Southampton". Bless.

Not a f***ing chance in hell. Leeds are a massive club tho it pains me to say it enormously with lots of trophies (albeit last one was a while back when they won the old Div1). How dare Soton compare themselves to them.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Austin was once asked whether he'd go to Southampton. He said "not a chance, never, no". He was then asked if that was because they are in the same league as Swindon, and he said "I wouldn't sign for Southampton in any league".

He won't be going to Southampton.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
One of those links states that Saints League One squad cost £6m to assemble. That is mental.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Not a f***ing chance in hell. Leeds are a massive club tho it pains me to say it enormously with lots of trophies (albeit last one was a while back when they won the old Div1). How dare Soton compare themselves to them.
Leeds are nowhere near massive i can assure you,what have they achieved?
Leeds crowds are not as big as they should be considering the catchment area,many clubs like derby etc etc are around the same size.:D

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Leeds are nowhere near massive i can assure you,what have they achieved?
Leeds crowds are not as big as they should be considering the catchment area,many clubs like derby etc etc are around the same size.:D

30k at their game this weekend would suggest otherwise, in the championship to me suggests otherwise.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
My only problem with Barnes, apart from his ocassional wayward shots, is that he cannot hold up the ball at all and wins nothing in the air so will always need someone in the Murray mold to play alongside him. I just don't think he will ever be a complete striker like Austin, or Murray for that matter. As much as I like him, not having a dig.

are you joking? barnes is great at holding the ball, that and his movment are great. i sometimes wonder if some people atually watch the same games as me....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here