Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie austin?

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
Would be a class signing, but can only honestly see him ending up in the championship if he leaves this month.

Unless of course he recognises that we will definitely be there next season and wants to jump on the Gus Bus....

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Is this the first sighting of the year of the annual "OGH is on his way" rumour?

It feels like 2011 has at last started. Marvellous.

just stating what I believe Lord B, as much as I'd LOVE Hart to lead the team out at Falmer in the first league game I think its fair to say he wont. Been a great servant and all that but I just cant see him staying :(

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We had no chance of signing Greer, aswell.

Greer was a totally different kettle of fish. He is a defender, Austin is a striker and they're always more in demand.

Other clubs will be in for Austin, whereas, good as Greer is, I suspect we were probably the only club after him. That's not because he's not much cop but because he's a centre half.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Greer was a totally different kettle of fish. He is a defender, Austin is a striker and they're always more in demand.

Other clubs will be in for Austin, whereas, good as Greer is, I suspect we were probably the only club after him. That's not because he's not much cop but because he's a centre half.

Thank you and also if people think he will go for less then a million then they are deluded.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I am fairly convinced that, despite any money worries Swindon may have, they will get a million or so for Austin , £800k at an absolute push.

Which I do feel probably rules us out. I am perfectly willing to be proved wrong however :lolol:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I am reliably informed that Brighton's interest was being discussed at the Arkells yesterday, but our interest is apparently in JP McGovern, their right winger. Apparently, the general consensus was that £750,000 was the minimum we could buy him for. If they think he's worth 3 times what their captain colusses, then Lord only knows what they genuinely think Austin is worth. Personally, I've been quoted £2million minimum. Despite the fact that Aaron McLean went for £1.3million.

I think £800,000 for Austin wouldn't be far off what they can demand, with add ons.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Would not want to pay £750k for McGovern, not a chance. Decent player I'm sure but it's widely accepted the best winger in League One this season (Lua Lua excepted of course) has been Noone.

Not sure why we'd need McGovern now we have Noone and potentially Lua Lua back at some point.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If there was going to be no chance of signing LuaLua, then I would be more than happy with McGovern, at the right price. He had the highest number of assists in league 1 last season afterall. He is their best player in my opinion and if we could have Noone on the left, McGovern on the right and Bennett playing behind Murray... what a team.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I we got him I would be so chuffed I would go & bang a monkey on us winning the league.
He is exactly what we need.....but it won't happen.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
Take it from someone who has seen Austin more than most others on this forum, if we can sign him, we should. No question. Saying we don't need him because we already have Sandaza is laughable, utterly laughable. If we'd had Austin since the start of the season, we'd be a long way clear at the top. He is a natural goalscorer and if we can sign him, it would be a very special signing indeed.

Ive seen him about 7 times this year, yes he is a good goal scorer, ( still only in his second season of league football) but he is very one dimensional, If he gets pushed out wide he is utter rubbish trying to cross the ball ( I know he's not a winger) yesterday he had a bad game, giving away a penalty (handball)

Personally I think he will go in the next 2 weeks , maybe to Millwall or the South coast Scum....(Southampton) Talk her is they want upwards of £2 million, they wont get that as he is only in his second season.

Should we buy? yes if we have the money......but a lot depends on Glenn Murray.. Do we need him? Im not so sure.

JP Mcgovern is the son of the old Forest and Derby player John Mcgovern.

Also Chants here yesterday of Wilson out.. Considering Swindons current form I think Wilson's days are numbered.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ive seen him about 7 times this year, yes he is a good goal scorer, ( still only in his second season of league football) but he is very one dimensional, If he gets pushed out wide he is utter rubbish trying to cross the ball ( I know he's not a winger) yesterday he had a bad game, giving away a penalty (handball)

Personally I think he will go in the next 2 weeks , maybe to Millwall or the South coast Scum....(Southampton) Talk her is they want upwards of £2 million, they wont get that as he is only in his second season.

Should we buy? yes if we have the money......but a lot depends on Glenn Murray.. Do we need him? Im not so sure.

JP Mcgovern is the son of the old Forest and Derby player John Mcgovern.

Also Chants here yesterday of Wilson out.. Considering Swindons current form I think Wilson's days are numbered.

You've seen a lot more of Swindon this season than I have, what do you make of JP McGovern? I've always really rated the bloke and last season he was their best player, but this season he is in and out of the side. Fan opinion of him up there seems to have changed aswell. I can't believe they're getting on Wilsons back, football fans are so fickle it's unbelievable.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
JP Mcgovern is one of the best in the Swindon team, He lays on a lot of goals for Austin.

Swindon have had a youngster on loan from Man City ( David Ball) he seems to be quite a good player but for some reason Wilson only brings him on late in the game..

Having vastly over achieved last year ( play off finals) they expect the same this year....

Apparently the board have plenty of money but seem to have only spent on new TV's and food outlets, They are apparently getting the ground ready for Championship Football!!!!!!

But I think they have taken their eye off the team and a good team is needed to get in the Championship....

Why have a glamorous Stadium with League 1 or 2 football?? BTW before moonraker bangs on about the County Ground redevelopment it has not even been applied for yet......

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think the problem with Swindon this season compared to last is that Wilson is picking the team this year. Last year, it picked itself. They had Lucas, Amankwaah, Greer, Cuthbert, Sheehan, McGovern, Ferry, Douglas, Ward, Paynter and Austin all playing well and staying fit. This season they've had new players to try and intergrate, they've had players not playing on form, they've had the injuries they didn't have last season and they've lost their captain and replaced him with an overated teenager.

I've heard all about the investment in the stadium and the infrastructure, and the benefits they give to their season ticket holders is just fantastic. But good as though having a shop in their Brunel shopping centre is, no-one is going to care with a struggling team, as you say. Even their ground redevelopment doesn't sound *that* good, "like a smaller Reebok"? Oh lucky them...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bigger clubs than us after him. Not that enamoured with him myself, Yes he scores goals but doesn't really do much else & seems a bit of a twat.

What else do you want a striker to do? You cannot expect every striker to defend like Glen Murray, probably before your time but there was once a couple of strikers who needed a sat nav if they were outside of the penalty box because they were lost. Does the name Jimmy Greaves or Gary Lineker ring a bell. Feeding off of Murray he would be e revelation and if as suggested Southampton are in for him we could do a lot worse that put in a bid for Lee Barnard to do the same job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here