Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Characters from The Goldstone North Stand - early eighties

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Who was the guy, who used to stick his finger in his ear for some reason, and start the “give us a Beeeeeee” etc chant ?
oldish skinny guy, think dark hair, flat cap occasionally
Krispies, no idea what his real name is. Can’t really remember seeing him since Withdean.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
My favourite Guppy moment was when he was moaning about the size of his penis and decided to prove the subject by showing it to a member of the Albion female fan base en route to an away match.

Guppy is a shortarse by most people's standards, but according to the lady concerned, if everything had been in proportion, he would only be about 2 foot 6.

He also was kicked out at Plymouth one match for being pissed and obnoxious, scowled his way back to the station, got on the next train, fell asleep and woke up in Cornwall having caught the wrong train.
Vintage performance one winter in front of the old railway departure board on Brighton station when he exposed himself in front of a group of women who collapsed in hysterical laughter and carried on their evening unperturbed.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Anyone remember a guy called Flanagan (I think)? Recall him singing and jumping up and down on a bus shelter roof (Hove station?), late 70s probably. As a young lad I thought that was well cool 😊

Oct 2, 2008
Remember very well a guy called Jim Hanigan who used to start a lot of the chants in the North Stand in the late 70s. wonder what happened to him ?. Like others , I also recall Krispies at Withdean…..did his best to get things going in the South Stand.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Crispies used to get singing section going at Withdean.
Krispies still comes from time to time - stands a couple of rows in front of us in the North, slightly to one side behind the goal. Still sticks his finger in his ear before starting a chant. Don't think his voice carries quite like it used to though :)

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Remember very well a guy called Jim Hanigan who used to start a lot of the chants in the North Stand in the late 70s. wonder what happened to him ?. Like others , I also recall Krispies at Withdean…..did his best to get things going in the South Stand.
Is Krispies still a STH?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We all were!
True. He was described as an ‘oldish, skinny guy’ though. I suppose to a young kid that would have been true. The voice on him when leading the singing was something to behold. Does anyone know a Guy Richmond ? Bit of a bully at my school and was expelled. I last saw him lurching around drunkenly on a shuttle bus from Bristol station to Ashton Gate round about 1990.I don’t think he recognized me as the kid he threatened with a hairbrush (!) ten years earlier.

Last edited:

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
One of the prominent and fearless members of ’The Bosun’. A leading figure in the mid to late 70’s from Eastbourne I think, at a time of shetland wool jumpers and pleated trousers.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Switching to The South Stand in the late 70s, does anyone know the name of the gentleman with long hair and a leather overcoat who (with his mates) was prone to throwing beer up in the air and occasionally urinating down the terraces? I think he drank in the Cliftonville Shades bar before games. For extra info, he was useful to be near when it kicked off (e.g. vs West Ham).

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Front of the south stand in the 90s, woman with a screeching, glass-shattering voice would scream “COME ON YOU SUPER SEEEAAAAGULLLLS”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here