Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Characters from The Goldstone North Stand - early eighties

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Middle 80’s I was 16 and started going to away games by myself or with a mate, can’t remember his name some long blond haired fella used to look out for the younger’s if it kicked off, last time I saw him was Millwall away in league 1. Nice fella but a complete nutter. He didn’t care how many there were of opposing fans he would pile straight in 😄

Think I know who you mean, it was long curly blond hair? Think he was from burgess Hill and yep absolute nutter.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Guppy is still a legend.
Was he a supporter ? or are you referring to ? Sergeant Guppy who used to promenade in front of the North Stand in his uniform. I used to love giving him the dogs abuse every game.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Guppy is still a legend.

My favourite Guppy moment was when he was moaning about the size of his penis and decided to prove the subject by showing it to a member of the Albion female fan base en route to an away match.

Guppy is a shortarse by most people's standards, but according to the lady concerned, if everything had been in proportion, he would only be about 2 foot 6.

He also was kicked out at Plymouth one match for being pissed and obnoxious, scowled his way back to the station, got on the next train, fell asleep and woke up in Cornwall having caught the wrong train.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Was the hat covered in hand painted references to his favourite players including "Sexy Malcolm Poskett""...? That bloke will be long gone and was a proper eccentric.
That was Chris Tilley. He went to most away games and would generally be pissed and sing do you think I’m sexy.

Gerry ‘runner‘ Ryan was another inclusion on his hat. Used to work for North farm turkeys in Findon.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Guppy is still a legend.
I have still never quite worked out whether he used to sing 'England, England, never been to Fiji' deliberately, or whether he actually thought that's what it was rather than 'never been defeated'.

Nor have I worked out why he used to sing it on the way back from Brighton away games....

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
I have still never quite worked out whether he used to sing 'England, England, never been to Fiji' deliberately, or whether he actually thought that's what it was rather than 'never been defeated'.

Nor have I worked out why he used to sing it on the way back from Brighton away games....
It was england never been to figi. That was our gupta never easy to work out, but bless his heart lol. They don't make em like that anymore

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My favourite Guppy moment was when he was moaning about the size of his penis and decided to prove the subject by showing it to a member of the Albion female fan base en route to an away match.

Guppy is a shortarse by most people's standards, but according to the lady concerned, if everything had been in proportion, he would only be about 2 foot 6.

He also was kicked out at Plymouth one match for being pissed and obnoxious, scowled his way back to the station, got on the next train, fell asleep and woke up in Cornwall having caught the wrong train.
Just after I left school, I started to travel to Albion away matches alone. I didn't know anyone so started meeting some regulars. We were a small band in those days and there was this legendary figure called Gubby whose stature in status didn't match his physical presence.

I remember being at Oldham Athletic in 1986 when folk started singing a song about him. He then appeared having, for unknown reasons, placed himself in with the home fans. This was a dangerous venture at Oldham as this was one of the places where at least one of us would get a biffing over the years.

I'm guessing he was moved to the away pen for his own safety.

I've not seen or heard of him for 30 years. I'm guessing he may be of pensionable age by now or close to it. I doubt I would know anyone if I went to an away match now.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Just after I left school, I started to travel to Albion away matches alone. I didn't know anyone so started meeting some regulars. We were a small band in those days and there was this legendary figure called Gubby whose stature in status didn't match his physical presence.

I remember being at Oldham Athletic in 1986 when folk started singing a song about him. He then appeared having, for unknown reasons, placed himself in with the home fans. This was a dangerous venture at Oldham as this was one of the places where at least one of us would get a biffing over the years.

I've not seen or heard of him for 30 years. I'm guessing he may be of pensionable age by now or close to it. I doubt I would know anyone if I went to an away match now.
Went Palace away with him about 3 years ago.
He spends a lot of his time in Thailand now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think I know who you mean, it was long curly blond hair? Think he was from burgess Hill and yep absolute nutter.
Sounds like the guy (Pete ?) who ended up leading the BHTFC ‘ultras’ for a few years. Before my time with BHA (JCL) but heard a few others at Hill say he was a former Goldstone nutcase. Not even been at Burgess Hill for a few seasons now.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm pretty sure he did then.

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
He spent most of his holidays in Thailand, those lucky ladies. Never sure I’ve met him sober, or he just has one of those faces !

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Was he a supporter ? or are you referring to ? Sergeant Guppy who used to promenade in front of the North Stand in his uniform. I used to love giving him the dogs abuse every game.
Guppy is Albion through and through.......

One favourite Guppy moment was in Stockholm for an England away, me and chums took a short cut through a shopping centre to the stadium. Walking through the shopping centre we became aware of an incident on the ground floor in a bar that the whole centre was watching. About 40 police were trying to explain to one guy he needed to leave , this was Guppy. He had a pint of Guiness and was in full argumentative move and had clearly no intention of going anywhere anytime soon

My favourite moment was bumping into a drunk Guppy at England away in Gothenburg..............he just said " hello.............what you doing here then"
How do you answer that?

Last time i saw him personally at the football was the semi at wembley.....but i hear he still goes
He can be spotted around Worthing if you have a keen eye

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
One of the McCarthy brothers is now a policeman and the other lives in Thailand.

Neale Claydon stopped going during the Archer/Bellotti times, he just didn’t enjoy going with all the bad feelings at the time. As far as I know he hasn’t been since.

I used to see Guppy at Withdean all the time but haven’t seen him myself since the move to the Amex. As El P mentions, I might just have not noticed him though 😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here