Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changes to football...

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If a player goes down and stays down, he has to be taken to the changing room to be examined, not just be allowed to get up and carry on.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
But if it is inside the area they haven't denied anything as they are getting a penalty, which is a better chance than being one on one with the keeper able to come off of his line.

On that basis, you should give a penalty when it happens outside the box too.

Fulking Seagull

Mar 31, 2013
Fulking
A yellow card for any player or manager who requests the opposition be carded. Hate seeing that and some of the managers antics in this respect so far have been disgraceful. Do it a 2nd time and a 2nd yellow should be show. That should stamp it out.

Did anyone notice the difference in the behaviour of the players when Russia and South Korea played last night (albeit I saw the 1st 20 minutes only) compared to all the rolling about in most of the other games? They just got up and got on with it. Credit to them.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
A yellow card for any player or manager who requests the opposition be carded. Hate seeing that and some of the managers antics in this respect so far have been disgraceful. Do it a 2nd time and a 2nd yellow should be show. That should stamp it out.

Did anyone notice the difference in the behaviour of the players when Russia and South Korea played last night (albeit I saw the 1st 20 minutes only) compared to all the rolling about in most of the other games? They just got up and got on with it. Credit to them.
I was always under the impression that waving an imaginary card at the ref, was decent and a bookable offensive. I'm sure that rule came in years ago.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
This is not to do with the actualy game but I'd definitely tighten up on the drug testing rules and make sure it is applied effectived by each of the individual football associations.

I'm not saying we are squeeky clean and I'm sure most premier league players are doped up to the eye balls but testing is so much more relaxed in places like Spain. I'd love them to test those 50 blood bags found in Doctor Fuentes's office.

Either that or just legalise enhancement drug use completely and see who can produce the most ridiculous athletes.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
If a player is injured, and a free kick has NOT been given, the physio (with the thumbs up from the 4th official) should be allowed on to treat the player, to save a break in play.

Definately this, 'a la' rugby style, let play carry on around them, also when fit to continue taken off field as now and only let back on at next dead ball. They will soon realise that it is only hurting their own team. I'm sure a lot of these 'injuries' would quickly stop.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Professional fouls should be a penalty if inside the area and a sending-off outside the area, not fair to be punished twice.

I disgree. 'Professional' fouls are just plain cheating to deny a goal scoring opportunity. In the box, they are doubly so, as the scoring potential is even greater.

But if it is inside the area they haven't denied anything as they are getting a penalty, which is a better chance than being one on one with the keeper able to come off of his line.

Think about what you are suggesting though - you are basically inviting defenders to take out any striker who looks like they are going to score, in the knowledge that the worst that can happen is that they get an equally good chance (from the spot). The penalty is in lieu of the chance they'd already created - the card is the punishment for the infringement. It has to be both.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Automatic yellow card for any player taking more than XXX seconds to leave the pitch when being substituted. Mandatory for those who stop half way to shake hands with the ref, applaud their fans in that wimpy half-interested way that seems obligatory, before the eventual pat-a-cake gesture with the oncoming guy. All tactical substitutions after the 90th minute to be banned in any case.

10 point deduction to any club whose fans keep the ball - 15 if it is the idiot from Millwall last season who hid it under his seat - twice.

Something draconian for any club time-wasting in the first half - refusing to cross the half way line - playing ten men behind the ball at all stages - in fact any club playing one up front should be thrown into the lower reaches of non-league. This is discriminatory against the job prospects of strikers in the modern game.

No cliches to be used in tv interviews - all questions to be answered honestly - and Jose Mourinho style sarcasm to be punishable by incarceration on South Georgia for a minimum of 5 seasons. Referees to be forced to explain their most bizarre decisions in public - preferably during the match.

paul wickens

Wicko1
Dec 23, 2011
Sin bins for yellow cards. 10 minutes. Move the ball forward 10 yards for any dissent (and a yellow card) at a free kick. Let the team conceding a goal kick-off when they, and the ref, are ready, to prevent ridiculous goal celebrations. Referee to refer any possible penalty decisions to 4th ref in the stand who has TV monitor.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I'll save someone else the bother: "Thin end of the wedge" "Stop trying to change football it's perfect already" (just like it was before each of the 10,000 rule changes we've already had :wink:)

Word.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Change the length of each half to thirty minutes with the ball in play - there could be a big clock showing on the stands, linked to the ref's watch, which would be stopped whenever the ball ran out of play or play was stopped for a foul, and only re-started when the ball was back in play (it is probably safe to do this now that Sir Alex has retired).

Now that there are so many mandatory reasons for red and yellow cards (such as sending a player off almost every time a penalty is conceded) the effect of these cards should be changed - we don't pay good money to watch 11 v. 9 or whatever. So, three yellow cards (or a red and a yellow) - send off.
Two yellows or one red - no sending off, but miss the next match - a double red (sending off) could be used for tackles that really should be classified as GBH). One yellow - totting up, as now.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Change the length of each half to thirty minutes with the ball in play - there could be a big clock showing on the stands, linked to the ref's watch, which would be stopped whenever the ball ran out of play or play was stopped for a foul, and only re-started when the ball was back in play (it is probably safe to do this now that Sir Alex has retired).

Now that there are so many mandatory reasons for red and yellow cards (such as sending a player off almost every time a penalty is conceded) the effect of these cards should be changed - we don't pay good money to watch 11 v. 9 or whatever. So, three yellow cards (or a red and a yellow) - send off.
Two yellows or one red - no sending off, but miss the next match - a double red (sending off) could be used for tackles that really should be classified as GBH). One yellow - totting up, as now.

And end up with a four hour event, like USA football? way too many stoppages, filled with adverts.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
A player who has to receive treatment on the pitch as a result of a foul should not have to leave the pitch before play resumes.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Can't see many agreeing with me but my take on Professional fouls is that outside the box is a penalty and inside is a rugby style 'penalty goal'. The punishment would fit the crime and games would not be spoilt with stupid sending offs. Too radical for most I imagine.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Official timekeepers. Would stop a lot of the time wasting and arbitrary added time at the end of each half. We pay to watch a football game not millionaires doing nothing, and doing it really slowly!!

Definitely this, it's my pet hate, timewasting is as much cheating as diving, Millwall at the Amex last season started in the fourth minute

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Think about what you are suggesting though - you are basically inviting defenders to take out any striker who looks like they are going to score, in the knowledge that the worst that can happen is that they get an equally good chance (from the spot). The penalty is in lieu of the chance they'd already created - the card is the punishment for the infringement. It has to be both.

The offence is denying a goal scoring opportunity, if they get a penalty how is the opportunity denied? I don't see why they should concede a penalty, be down to 10 men and have the player miss 2 games through suspension when they are no worse off than they would have been if the player hadn't been fouled.

The defender basically has a choice, bring down the player outside the box and get sent off, or wait till they are in the box and take a chance on the penalty.

Still a sending off for violent conduct or serious foul play, but a penalty and yellow card if inside the box.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
referees should be allowed to give a free kick when a player does not go down
2 levels of violent conduct
yellow for handbags red for assault
my personal hate is the automatic red for a foul by the last player
often a penalty and 10 men and the end of a contest
even the last player should be able to attempt a challenge
to stop the professional foul outside the box award a penalty if last man
foul anywhere on the pitch
also agree with sin bins -bans for many yellow cards are just a form of
squad rotation for quality deep squads