Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changes to football...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Time wasting definitely the biggest bugbear for me. You'd struggle to accurately account for all of it, but if stoppage time could reflect it to a greater degree it might help cut it down (not stamp it out).

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Make handball an absolute offence, remove 'intent' from the equation in the same way as they do 'feet' in hockey.

I like the sound of that one. Would certainly reduce a lot of whinging/dull punditry we have to listen to.

Having said that, isn't the law on intentional hand ball that it's 'intentional' if you're body has been made bigger by the fact your arms are up. Perhaps the law itself is fine but the wording wrong?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Make handball an absolute offence, remove 'intent' from the equation in the same way as they do 'feet' in hockey.

And off side too? too much interpretation is in the game now... now was it hand to ball or ball to hand,hand ball is hand ball.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
And off side too? too much interpretation is in the game now... now was it hand to ball or ball to hand,hand ball is hand ball.

With offside I'd go with something similar to that played in Rugby League - be within 10 yards of the ball whilst in an offside position and you concede a free kick.

I wouldn't like to return to the days of the game being stopped because a player is in an offside position on the left wing when the ball is passed to the right wing

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
persistent shirt pullers(cheaters) would have to line up in front of the opposition and receive a Wedgie from everyone.

The final player will deliver a Melvin or Atomic Wedgie according to a coin toss.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Can't see many agreeing with me but my take on Professional fouls is that outside the box is a penalty and inside is a rugby style 'penalty goal'. The punishment would fit the crime and games would not be spoilt with stupid sending offs. Too radical for most I imagine.

I like this. :thumbsup:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Can't see many agreeing with me but my take on Professional fouls is that outside the box is a penalty and inside is a rugby style 'penalty goal'. The punishment would fit the crime and games would not be spoilt with stupid sending offs. Too radical for most I imagine.

I like the 'penalty goal' suggestion. I was surprised that it wasn't more fully discussed following Suarez's 'save' in the 2010 quarter final.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
I know I'm in a minority with this one, but I'd do away with offside altogether. It would cut down on the number of controversial goals by 50%. I've heard the arguments against it, but when hockey did away with, the changes to the style of play were minimal. And as goldwithfalmer said, it would take an element of interpretation out the ref's hands.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Not really a change as such but referees to be tougher on diving. Seen so much of it this tournament but correct me if I'm wrong, not one yellow card for simulation yet?

Especially when it involves all that face holding stuff too.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
I wouldn't like to return to the days of the game being stopped because a player is in an offside position on the left wing when the ball is passed to the right wing

but this IS the rule today, and it's a good rule.

if this were not the rule, the attacking team would have a massive unfair advantage - with a man on the left (in your example) being completely free with no defender in front of him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here