Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changes to Brighton in the last 20 years

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, it's a lot worse. I use to drive into Brighton and park for free above the station and get any clothes shopping along Western Road. Now I would have to queue for a multi-storey and pay, so I street park in Eastbourne instead. Do you drive?
and yet there's still so many people anti any thought of reducing cars in and around Brighton/London/Eastbourne/Upper Beeding.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No, it's a lot worse. I use to drive into Brighton and park for free above the station and get any clothes shopping along Western Road. Now I would have to queue for a multi-storey and pay, so I street park in Eastbourne instead. Do you drive?

Yes.

But not into Brighton. That's a dumb-arse thing to do.

Of course, you're more than entitled to go where you wish for your shopping, but if you'd prefer to go to Brighton for your clothes, it sounds like you're putting your own obstacles in the way by driving. If it's just clothes shopping you want, why not take the train - or the bus (it's free for you, isn't it?) - in? It's cheaper than driving and parking. And you can have a cocktail mid-browse...

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
It doesn't make you personally a target of abuse necessarily. There's a reasonable chance he'll say the same thing to the next person.

Bear in mind that that it's not uncommon for a lot of homeless people to also have mental health issues. Whether that's the case here is another issue, of course.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to claim I'm some poor victim and I fully appreciate that one homeless man doesn't speak for all of them. It's just that experiences like this do stick in the memory and make you think twice about where you head. I don't want to get abused in the street, so if I can avoid it I will. This just spoils it for everyone

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
What a shame these disgusting people with no place to live ruined your trip to the theatre.

They are indeed disgusting people and there is no need for them to be there. There are hostel places available for the homeless.

I shall start a campaign to have the park benches in the town centre taken over every evening by decent well-dressed people sitting chatting to friends and acquaintances, thus denying the homeless anywhere to park their filthy bodies.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
They are indeed disgusting people and there is no need for them to be there. There are hostel places available for the homeless.

I shall start a campaign to have the park benches in the town centre taken over every evening by decent well-dressed people sitting chatting to friends and acquaintances, thus denying the homeless anywhere to park their filthy bodies.

A tuxedo for every shop doorway as well?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Not upset today. It's a nice sunny day looking down on the Dripping Pan.

What I'm saying is, given your original location (Seaford), there are at least two perfectly viable alternative means of getting into Brighton by methods other than your own car.

You don't drive in Brighton but you denied parking was worse. Sums you up really. Have a nice day.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Anyway back to the OP's request...

The new Amex building - it's ENORMOUS.
The Brighton wheel - nothing like as bad as some locals were fearing
The library - handsome building
New England Quarter - crap name, indifferent about the architecture when they went up, appreciate them now

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
How has Brighton changed for the worse in the last 20 years?

Bus lanes that make things worse :facepalm:

That's an improvement

parking meters:tosser:

That's an improvement

The Green Party.

That's an improvement

That's an improvement

- parking charges which are a disgrace.
- bus lanes
- 20mph speed limit
- least car friendly town in the UK

They're all improvements

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I lived in the town for 50 years and loved it, but had to leave about 15 years ago.

Now when I return the first thing I notice is that many parts suddenly look very old and run down. Streets seem dirty, and dont even mention the unfriendliness to cars with bus lanes, cycle lanes, 20mph limits and excessive parking charges.

Other than that, I still love the seafront.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
For the worse:
- homeless people sleeping all over the place. Went to the theatre royal on tue evening and the streets around there are full of them. Makes the town centre look like a tip. They should be forcibly removed to hostels.
- bus lanes
- 20mph speed limit
- the state of Volks Railway. The stations are in desperate need of refurbishment. It's an embarrassment.

On the positive side the western end of western road is looking a lot better with some interesting independent shops and the walk from Hove along Church Road and Western Road to Brighton is now a very pleasant one.

No more rough sleepers than 20 years ago. They were in most shop doorways then too.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
For the worse:
- homeless people sleeping all over the place. Went to the theatre royal on tue evening and the streets around there are full of them. Makes the town centre look like a tip. They should be forcibly removed to hostels.
- bus lanes
- 20mph speed limit
- the state of Volks Railway. The stations are in desperate need of refurbishment. It's an embarrassment.

On the positive side the western end of western road is looking a lot better with some interesting independent shops and the walk from Hove along Church Road and Western Road to Brighton is now a very pleasant one.

I went to the Dome last night and we had dinner in Oki-Nami beforehand. There were a couple of very troubled street drinkers yelling at people. Can't say it ruined my night but it did make me consider how lucky I am for a wee while which is no bad thing.

Back on thread - the continuing change / demise of back street boozers. Twenty odd years ago we'd do regular back street pub crawls after games and even on New Year when we could decide at the last minute where we'd be at midnight without forking out £40 to stand in a never ending bar queue full of bearded hipsters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here