Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changes to Brighton in the last 20 years

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
i remember once seeing two tramps attempt to ram raid st jamess street co op. with their heads. to get at the booze counter. blood everywhere and they kept bashing into the window. people just walked past.

i can very much understand why that sainsburys local doesnt sell booze.

Ah yes, of course. Forgot the problem that street has. To be fair there are about 20 other places to buy booze around there. Probably refused a license. Still, if you ever have 4.50 spare you can always pop in for a two pack of bell peppers!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Ah yes, of course. Forgot the problem that street has. To be fair there are about 20 other places to buy booze around there. Probably refused a license. Still, if you ever have 4.50 spare you can always pop in for a two pack of bell peppers!

in fairness nibble this was probably 1989 but for all we talk on this thread about the changes in brighton st jamess street has been resolute in its resistance to gentrification.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
House prices have been a massive game changer. In the early 90's Brighton a mate of mine bought a flat at auction for £10k, its was a cheap place to live. 1000's need their London job just to pay the mortgage

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
House prices have been a massive game changer. In the early 90's Brighton a mate of mine bought a flat at auction for £10k, its was a cheap place to live. 1000's need their London job just to pay the mortgage

I do find it bizarre that people move from London to Brighton for quality of life reasons......but then commute for 3 hours each day.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I do find it bizarre that people move from London to Brighton for quality of life reasons......but then commute for 3 hours each day.

maybe not for their quality of life but i hazard a very educated guess a lot of london ex pats are there because they are ****ing terrified of sending their kids to london state senior schools.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing

Probably because you're able to get to Victoria, Bridge or Blackfriars etc in about an hour. Which is no different for many Londoners living in many Zone 4 or 5 locations.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
For the better - Brighton Library, More buses , development around North Road Jubilee Street, improved Churchill Square

For the worse - Even worse traffic and parking charges, Royal Sussex Hospital is a disgrace, House prices . I recently moved back to Sussex but could not afford my home town.

But THE ALBION ARE DOING BETTER and we have a brilliant new stadium !...that is a positive :ascarf:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here