Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changes to Brighton in the last 20 years

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gardner Street. Its bohemian feel with Vegetarian Shoes and Komedia etc might not be to everyone's liking but it is a vibrant part of town now, whereas rewind to 1991 and it had the Jubilee Shopping Hall where Komedia now is and was deserted.

But rewind back 22 years earlier and Gardner Street was a vibrant shopping area: I can still recall the smell of coffee being roasted in the coffee shop with the large roaster in the window. There was a shop that sold nothing but eggs and a shop that sold nothing but cork - it was far quirkier then. It even had one of Brighton's first supermarkets, at a time when they were a novelty.

I'm not sure that modern Gardner Street has quite the same feel.

unklbrian

Feb 4, 2012
But rewind back 22 years earlier and Gardner Street was a vibrant shopping area: I can still recall the smell of coffee being roasted in the coffee shop with the large roaster in the window. There was a shop that sold nothing but eggs and a shop that sold nothing but cork - it was far quirkier then. It even had one of Brighton's first supermarkets, at a time when they were a novelty.

I'm not sure that modern Gardner Street has quite the same feel.

Agreed , A bit like Brightons 'diversity' , its all become a bit to gentryfied these days ..

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
[/B][/U]

I was born in Brighton and the early days were what I would consider quiet, but as an apprentice my journey home got longer and longer sitting on the number 5 to the bottom of Carden Ave then walking to the top of Westdene I would be lucky to get home by 7pm.
Brighton has always had a problem with traffic and parking and with people having more cars and larger houses being converted to flats, two Universities and numerous language schools and a population explosion in the city any council would have a job keeping up with it.
I hated the tow away squad but must admit it was easier to park and move around the city, what most do not realise is that the locals and the council do not want your car bogging up the scene they would rather you traveled by public transport and its not just this council but all the councils I have ever known, this council have just upped the anti by saying if you want to visit and park particularly near the seafront you pay or come by train and travel within the city by public transport its called business.
parking permits are part of life in Brighton now and should be factored into normal daily life, I can see this also being the norm for most seaside towns and cities on the south coast sooner rather than later, its becoming very difficult to park in Eastbourne now, especially in the Summer and Eastbourne is not unlike Brighton was in the 70's/80's and is also expanding at a pace.
upshot is urban cities are always going to be very difficult to a) park in b) find a cheap place to park, so maybe if the public transport is good think about getting rid of the expense of the car and the responsibility of driving and relax and take a little more time to get to your destination

Who are you? Bleedin' Roger French? :lolol:

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Matlock Road (my local)

Melville Road , although that is a few feet in Hove.

London Road.

St James Street.

There's one in Islingword Road, near the Pepperpot. Also, there's another downstairs at WH Smith in Churchill Square. Where's the one in London Road? The one that was in the Co-op building is no longer there as that entire building is being reconstructed.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
London rd has got a lot worse over the last 20 years. I would say it's probably had the most decline in the city. 30 years ago it was the main high street.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Don't even get me bloody started on those things. What dumb ass, turnip excuse for a brain thought these would be better than the UNIVERSALLY accepted system. I would love to hear from ONE just ONE person who thinks these are an improvement on a system that worked so well.

Two friends of mine wrote independantly to the council and both got the same reply; they are used all over europe and they wanted to be the same.:facepalm: I am yet to see one any where in europe.???

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
When I lived in Brighton when i was younger(Patcham actually!) I used to quite enjoy going to Byderbecks(sp) just off North Street. It wasn't the most glamorous place but it had pool tables upstairs and DJ Birch on a Saturday night. Whats not to like? Where you'd bump into people from your sixth form on their way to the Paradox or the Event 2.

Sweet Fanny Adams in West Street was another popular haunt. West Street has never been the nuts, though it's certainly changed somewhat over the years. Not necessarily for the better. As someone else posted on this thread, it's seems to cater for out of towners/Hen parties far more now.

During my 20's I started to head down to the clubs on the seafront as I and others I knew stepped it up a notch :mad: Occasionally when I come back to Brighton I head to one of these. They're not what they were. Half empty. Something to do with the economy (pub trade as well). Poor club management/going for the easy option as well no doubt.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
There's one in Islingword Road, near the Pepperpot. Also, there's another downstairs at WH Smith in Churchill Square. Where's the one in London Road? The one that was in the Co-op building is no longer there as that entire building is being reconstructed.

The one on London Road is now a shop next to where Blockbuster used to be, it's small but less of a mess than the Co-op one used to be.

Yep, never seen one anywhere else in the world.

Nope I can't say I've seen one either, the rest of the world don't have an issue with the STANDARD pelican crossings so why should we? Apparently some trials were done with them and they were found to be safer, I assume they didn't take into account someone standing in front of the crossing indicator or when you have 50 or so people in a busy city centre all trying to guess when they can cross by looking at the traffic lights.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Change to traffic lights was a massive waste of money.

I think the North Laine kind of changes neither for the better or worse, it just kind of rolls along.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Oh, one defnate change for the worse. Rounder's Records disappearing.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The FLUMES disappearing from King Alfred :down:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Pedestrianisation of The Lanes & New Road has been marvellous. The fast rat run round the Golden Fleece/Market Inn seems unbelievable now, with the resulting little restaurants & cafés.
If every year one road in the 'Old Town' could be car free & cobbled as per New Road this could only improve the whole area

New Road isn't car-free, except when there's an event taking place.

It's a regular bog-standard road, but with smart (but bloody expensive) paving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here