Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changes to Brighton in the last 20 years

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
But where in Brighton is there a Post office? I couldn't tell you.

You're not wrong. I could tell you a couple, but not the main one since it moved from Oxford Street to Ship Street to the basement of WH Smith. I don't know if it's still there.

Edit: I've just done a Google search. There are nine listed - though there's one at Fiveways that isn't listed.

Sadly, as I say, this is a nationwide phenomenon.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The mass influx of stag and (particularly) hen parties.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyway back to the OP's request...

The new Amex building - it's ENORMOUS.
The Brighton wheel - nothing like as bad as some locals were fearing
The library - handsome building
New England Quarter - crap name, indifferent about the architecture when they went up, appreciate them now

The architecture is very poor in my opinion. It's a prime location which has been wasted; just like the aquarium area opposite the pier. The latter is a scandalous waste of prime city centre land - Brighton struggles with the concept of new architecture and use of space.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The architecture is very poor in my opinion. It's a prime location which has been wasted; just like the aquarium area opposite the pier. The latter is a scandalous waste of prime city centre land - Brighton struggles with the concept of new architecture and use of space.

On this subject if I had my way I'd bulldoze the King Alfreds, Aquarium area, New England Quarter, Clock Tower and the Brighton Centre and start building fit-for-purpose state of the art buildings of architectural merit

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Growing up in Brighton in the 70s, it was in many ways a dull and parochial town.

Better now:
More diverse and multi-cultural
Seafront much more varied and interesting
North Laine independent shops and businesses
More pubs and bars that cater for a wider range of customers, more selling real ale
New Stadium
Buses are more frequent and better quality
Much better quality of urban realm
Cycle lanes encourage bikes (but see below)
Train services more frequent and better quality (air conditioning eg)

Worse:
Cycle lanes in Valley Gardens and elsewhere confusing and unsegregated
Bus and train fares expensive for occasional users
West St area given entirely over to trippers/Stags
Football ticket prices

I am genuinely surprised more people don't make the link between traffic congestion and parking charges. The cheaper and easier the parking the more traffic and congestion there will be, and I bet a £ to a penny that the same people will be moaning about both.

PG

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
These

crossing_2209318b.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lack of public toilets - makes Brighton into one big urinal on Saturday night

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Interesting thread.

While the City centre is now a dirty and confusing layout of one way streets, bus lanes and cycle lanes, the seafront is still generally a pleasure, especially if you wander along the prom in the early morning before it gets busy.

It is very easy to overlook some of the architecture. OK some of the contemporary stuff is awful (eg the Brighton Centre). One thing I noticed during a recent visit is the facades of the buildings along the seafront from say Embassy Court to The Drive, including all the Regency buildings around Brunswick Terrace etc are now uniformly painted and look in goodish repair. For many years the effect was ruined by the run down exteriors of many of these but now it looks impressive especially on a bright sunny day. I know the Council clamped down on this and it seems to be working - for now at least.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Growing up in Brighton in the 70s, it was in many ways a dull and parochial town.

Better now:
More pubs and bars that cater for a wider range of customers, more selling real ale
New Stadium

Worse:
Bus and train fares expensive for occasional usersWest St area given entirely over to trippers/Stags
Football ticket prices

I am genuinely surprised more people don't make the link between traffic congestion and parking charges. The cheaper and easier the parking the more traffic and congestion there will be, and I bet a £ to a penny that the same people will be moaning about both.

PG

Agree, but seems to be everywhere.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Better now:
New Stadium

Worse:
Football ticket prices

PG

I was born in Brighton and the early days were what I would consider quiet, but as an apprentice my journey home got longer and longer sitting on the number 5 to the bottom of Carden Ave then walking to the top of Westdene I would be lucky to get home by 7pm.
Brighton has always had a problem with traffic and parking and with people having more cars and larger houses being converted to flats, two Universities and numerous language schools and a population explosion in the city any council would have a job keeping up with it.
I hated the tow away squad but must admit it was easier to park and move around the city, what most do not realise is that the locals and the council do not want your car bogging up the scene they would rather you traveled by public transport and its not just this council but all the councils I have ever known, this council have just upped the anti by saying if you want to visit and park particularly near the seafront you pay or come by train and travel within the city by public transport its called business.
parking permits are part of life in Brighton now and should be factored into normal daily life, I can see this also being the norm for most seaside towns and cities on the south coast sooner rather than later, its becoming very difficult to park in Eastbourne now, especially in the Summer and Eastbourne is not unlike Brighton was in the 70's/80's and is also expanding at a pace.
upshot is urban cities are always going to be very difficult to a) park in b) find a cheap place to park, so maybe if the public transport is good think about getting rid of the expense of the car and the responsibility of driving and relax and take a little more time to get to your destination

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Better now:
New Stadium

Worse:
Football ticket prices

PG

Great post. However, while the last part is undoubtedly true we currently have too much congestion and not enough parking thanks to the large amount of poorly managed road works in and around the city.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Controversial

Ah. Not the clock tower or the Quadrant, I meant that crap building which went up a few years back which faces Churchill Square.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I make perfect sense.

The thread title asked about 'changes to Brighton in the last 20 years'. Parking has been a problem in Brighton for 30 years or more - whether by cost or availability.

So 'parking' as an issue is a similarity, not a change.

It's a lot worse recently. It really is.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
The prom has improved in the last 20 years it's now a really nice place to stroll along on a nice summer evening

Become a city

Fire west pier

Goldstone

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
2 positives:
Embassy court and that old hoogstraten building at the end of portland road.

2 negatives:
Centre of town boozers much less variety in style.
Who stole 99% of the pool tables?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The homeless issue is an interesting one.

I can't tell if I just notice it more or if the numbers really have swelled in recent years but it seems to me to be impossible to avoid hoardes of beggars wherever you go in the town centre these days.

Last weekend a homeless guy on the Steine told me to go **** myself after I politely declined to give him any change. I was minding my own business, heading off to meet a friend and I get abused in the street. Completely unnecessary. I am sympathetic to those who have nowhere to stay and I try and help where I can but I can't just dish out money to every one of the thousands of beggars pestering me on the street, it's not realistic. Why does this make me a target of abuse? It does nobody any favours as I'm now even less likely to spare a bit of change or a cup of tea as I cross the road to avoid these people.

I tell em 'sorry I've only got big notes' that stumps em

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Too many arty farty ****ing london nut roast frappucino mung bean tarquins and jocasta thats what. Or wankers as I would call them.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
No, it's a lot worse. I use to drive into Brighton and park for free above the station and get any clothes shopping along Western Road. Now I would have to queue for a multi-storey and pay, so I street park in Eastbourne instead. Do you drive?

Are Eastbourne about to get their 4th shop from the Inditex/Zara empire?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here