Championship interest in Barnes: Are we missing something in marmite?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He wasn't doing Barnes role at all, he was simply playing the central midfielder to allow Lopez and Orlando to be more attack minded....... Cms and Ulloa were in the striker role as we saw, take your pick, but not Hammond.

This is my problem with Barnes, he is a striker who spends most of his time drifting around aimlessly in m/f or defensive areas, and people wonder why we haven't been dangerous going forward, CMS has had next to no support from Barnes.

You watch CMS and Barnes and Barnes is the one you suggest "drifts around aimlessly"? Wow... One of the main reasons Gus picks Barnes is his positional discipline and willingness to follow instructions well. Yes, he is a striker, but he isn't instructed to play as one.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
before anyone says he's good enough for the premier league, have a word with yourself.

Did you not enjoy his goal in which he beat a german international centre-half and polish international goalkeeper to the ball to score?

Or did you prefer the cross where he bent the ball brilliantly round the back of an arsenal defence including the german and french international centre halves for our striker to plant the ball past the the polish international keeper?

Seems an odd time to post this when, the last time we played a prem team, he was brilliant.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Yes, he is a striker, but he isn't instructed to play as one.

I assume you sit in on the pre-match team talks then,?!...... I don't have that level of inside information, but I suspect he is simply asked to track back in certain situations, that isn't the same as not doing his primary role is it?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I assume you sit in on the pre-match team talks then,?!...... I don't have that level of inside information, but I suspect he is simply asked to track back in certain situations, that isn't the same as not doing his primary role is it?

No of course, but I could throw the exact same thing back at you? Neither of us know what he is being asked to do in pre-match but I think its a decent assumption to make that Barnes gets picked because he does what he's told, no? Who are you to say what his "primary role" is now either?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Did you not enjoy his goal in which he beat a german international centre-half and polish international goalkeeper to the ball to score?

Or did you prefer the cross where he bent the ball brilliantly round the back of an arsenal defence including the german and french international centre halves for our striker to plant the ball past the the polish international keeper?

Seems an odd time to post this when, the last time we played a prem team, he was brilliant.

This is where these conversations get silly.

He was not brilliant. He did a couple of good things which came off and should be applauded for it. Please don't go over the top or you're just as misguided as the people who say he's crap.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

He was not brilliant. He did a couple of good things which came off and should be applauded for it. Please don't go over the top or you're just as misguided as the people who say he's crap.

I would suggest a goal and an excellent assist and his non-stop defensive work were brilliant that day.

He is not always brilliant. He is not always crap.

However, against Arsenal, he had a brilliant game. A few players did. That's not being misguided.

Also, I would suggest phrasing a goal and assist as 'a couple of good things' immediately shows that you are never going to be the biggest fan of him. Would a hatrrick be 'a few good things'?

The whole aim is to score more goal than the opposition. He had a direct link to both our goals. How can that not be applauded without criticism?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
No of course, but I could throw the exact same thing back at you? Neither of us know what he is being asked to do in pre-match but I think its a decent assumption to make that Barnes gets picked because he does what he's told, no? Who are you to say what his "primary role" is now either?

He is a striker, he has said as much in his interviews (after running it through Google translator).... I recall a few months back he said he has been conscious of not scoring many, that he needed to improve and stating that the goal he did score he hoped to be the catalyst ( my word not his).... so the clues are there.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Can't really disagree.....

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He is a striker, he has said as much in his interviews (after running it through Google translator).... I recall a few months back he said he has been conscious of not scoring many, that he needed to improve and stating that the goal he did score he hoped to be the catalyst ( my word not his).... so the clues are there.

But of course he is going to want to score more goals. That's the same as any player.

He comes under the bracket of a striker but he certainly doesn't play as a forward for us at the moment.

To be honest, a positional classification is pointless. Gareth Bale was a left back. Arguably he is now a left sided forward if you would have to give him a position. I don't remember anyone officially re-classifying him. Rooney is a striker one week, a midfielder the next.

Alan Smith also gradually became a defensive midfielder. Players adapt, be it for the team or because of personal physical development/decline. Of course Barnes wants more goals which is only natural, but if Barnes and CMS are in the same team you would never call it a 442. That's a 4-5-1 in my opinion.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Also, I would suggest phrasing a goal and assist as 'a couple of good things' immediately shows that you are never going to be the biggest fan of him. Would a hatrrick be 'a few good things'?

The whole aim is to score more goal than the opposition. He had a direct link to both our goals. How can that not be applauded without criticism?

This, exactly. If he'd scored four he would have been accused of 'only four good moments', or even 'lucky he had someone putting it in a plate for him'.

People genuinely don't understand his role, or what football is anymore. As a game it's changed hugely in the last few years, strikers aren't just strikers and defenders aren't just defenders anymore. Barnes is not ever going to be the top scorer in the prem but he's a key player in a playoff chasing side and hasthe potential do a decent job in the top league.

His technical ability is surpassed by those around him, which is hardly surprising in a team with orlandi, lopez, vicente, buckley & lualua. But his positional play and team ethic far outweighs his faults. For me his main fault is his temperament rather than footballing ability - but I'm not sure if he'd be as effective without that 'edge' to him.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This, exactly. If he'd scored four he would have been accused of 'only four good moments', or even 'lucky he had someone putting it in a plate for him'.

People genuinely don't understand his role, or what football is anymore. As a game it's changed hugely in the last few years, strikers aren't just strikers and defenders aren't just defenders anymore. Barnes is not ever going to be the top scorer in the prem but he's a key player in a playoff chasing side and hasthe potential do a decent job in the top league.

His technical ability is surpassed by those around him, which is hardly surprising in a team with orlandi, lopez, vicente, buckley & lualua. But his positional play and team ethic far outweighs his faults. For me his main fault is his temperament rather than footballing ability - but I'm not sure if he'd be as effective without that 'edge' to him.

Indeed.

He's our Wes Hoolahan.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
But of course he is going to want to score more goals. That's the same as any player.

He comes under the bracket of a striker but he certainly doesn't play as a forward for us at the moment.

To be honest, a positional classification is pointless. Gareth Bale was a left back. Arguably he is now a left sided forward if you would have to give him a position. I don't remember anyone officially re-classifying him. Rooney is a striker one week, a midfielder the next.

Alan Smith also gradually became a defensive midfielder. Players adapt, be it for the team or because of personal physical development/decline. Of course Barnes wants more goals which is only natural, but if Barnes and CMS are in the same team you would never call it a 442. That's a 4-5-1 in my opinion.

But the Barnes fans amongst you continually throw in the fact that he is marvellous in defence, and that this makes him better than CMS for example. If you continue to compare him with another striker, which you all do, then he must be categorised as a striker..... else you are comparing apples with pears....don't you think?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Barnes is not good enough. If we were to get promoted I would hope he would be the first to be binned and before anyone says he's good enough for the premier league, have a word with yourself.

I think those that talk to themselves are most likely to be the people who can't see how good he is.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
But the Barnes fans amongst you continually throw in the fact that he is marvellous in defence, and that this makes him better than CMS for example. If you continue to compare him with another striker, which you all do, then he must be categorised as a striker..... else you are comparing apples with pears....don't you think?

Think you're completely missing the point there. The fact that he's great defensively shows that he's not there to be a striker.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
But the Barnes fans amongst you continually throw in the fact that he is marvellous in defence, and that this makes him better than CMS for example. If you continue to compare him with another striker, which you all do,

I've never done that.

They play completely different roles.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Think you're completely missing the point there. The fact that he's great defensively shows that he's not there to be a striker.

OK , I give up,......... what the fook is he in you minds then?...... (Don't answer, my question is rhetorical)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
OK , I give up,......... what the fook is he in you minds then?...... (Don't answer, my question is rhetorical)

You must have gone MAD in the days when Adam Virgo was playing in a more advanced role.

"ADAM. f***ing hell ADAM. GET BACK. What is he DOING up there? He's a DEFENDER"

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
You must have gone MAD in the days when Adam Virgo was playing in a more advanced role.

"ADAM. f***ing hell ADAM. GET BACK. What is he DOING up there? He's a DEFENDER"

:D.... I probably did from time to time yes......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports