Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Championship interest in Barnes: Are we missing something in marmite?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It's not a suprise in the slightest that other teams would want him. He does things that managers notice, and not the average fickle fan.

Hull City were the epitome of a team with no stellar individuals. Not once did I spot an individual do anything brilliant on their team, yet I could COMPLTELY see how they are doing well this season. Players were doing jobs beyond the normal remit of their position.

Barnes does this for us. However heading away corners and tracking his man isn't anywhere NEAR sexy enough for many fans from what is, technically, a 'striker'.

A reasonably good player but nowhere near as good as other players on our books not getting a look-in because of Gus' obsession with playing him. Gus' reward for this loyalty = petulant childish sending off, falling-over lots, moaning too often, infrequent good performances.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He certainly polarises opinion. If he plays well praise a player, if he plays poorly then criticism is fair, shirley?

Dec 29, 2011
Love how a Barnes thread has turned to a CMS discussion. Ulloa has looked like the man we have been missing. Lots of flick ons and a few headers at goal too. The one in the first half was very promising. Ulloas 'flicks' won't work straight away because they need to develop a connection.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
My point was more that you seem happy to belittle, condascend and insult those that defend barnes, on the grounds that they don't know what they're talking about, yet you get huffy if someone has a pop at you and claim you're entitled to your opposite view. Well surely so are those who see what he brings to the team? The reality is that you aren't an impartial observer - you've made your mind up about barnes, so there's no point in discussing it - but perhaps if you feel others aren't "maturely debating the matter" you might have a glance around your glass house, before you throw stones.

I don't belittle anyone's contribution, I simply belittle what I often see as wild responses, its as though by criticising him who is untouchable, an individual can't possibly know anything about football. I have eyes, I make a sound judgement based on what I see every week. For that I get called a retard, thick, ignorant of football and many more lovely expressions.

Through it all I maintain that Barnes is a passenger we could do without...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Unlike CMS then ???? .... I have a puppy that can runaround like him and achieve nothing

Yes because aswell as being our top scorer, he gets us no end of throwins, corners and possession by forcing defenders and keepers to rush clearances and passes.... Simple really.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Barnes is not good enough. If we were to get promoted I would hope he would be the first to be binned and before anyone says he's good enough for the premier league, have a word with yourself.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Here's hoping. WE 'REALLY' missed him on Sat, after all.

We did miss him in my book. Hammond was put in to play that role and was actually quite decent I thought but ended up more replicating Bridcutt and not dragging the players away to allow Bridge and Bruno to overlap more often. Barnes is a great player to have in the team. He's not supremely talented but he has confidence and fight in abundance and we need that against teams like Hull who are string in defence. I think we'd have scored earlier if he'd have been playing. As has been said earlier, I really think you know nothing about football if you don't understand what Barnes does, why Gus rates him and why other teams do. We are very very lucky to have him.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Barnes is not good enough. If we were to get promoted I would hope he would be the first to be binned and before anyone says he's good enough for the premier league, have a word with yourself.

So where does the fact that every time we've played Prem opposition he's looked more than comfortable come in? He is definately good enough for this team and has stepped up and improved each time he's had to.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

A lot of the squad is likely to be moved on if we get promoted, why pick on Barnes? He has scored against Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Palace in an Albion shirt, so I don't get why some feel the need to have such a spiteful vendetta against him.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We did miss him in my book. Hammond was put in to play that role and was actually quite decent I thought but ended up more replicating Bridcutt

He wasn't doing Barnes role at all, he was simply playing the central midfielder to allow Lopez and Orlando to be more attack minded....... Cms and Ulloa were in the striker role as we saw, take your pick, but not Hammond.

This is my problem with Barnes, he is a striker who spends most of his time drifting around aimlessly in m/f or defensive areas, and people wonder why we haven't been dangerous going forward, CMS has had next to no support from Barnes.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
He wasn't doing Barnes role at all, he was simply playing the central midfielder to allow Lopez and Orlando to be more attack minded....... Cms and Ulloa were in the striker role as we saw, take your pick, but not Hammond.

This is my problem with Barnes, he is a striker who spends most of his time drifting around aimlessly in m/f or defensive areas, and people wonder why we haven't been dangerous going forward, CMS has had next to no support from Barnes.

He's only started playing as a striker again recently. Gus has picked him in that left side or midfield role for most of the season. I think had he been available he'd have played instead of Hammond in the same role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here