Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Championship interest in Barnes: Are we missing something in marmite?

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Currently at University and one of my flat mates is from Derby. He had a few friends round this weekend and got chatting to one of them who is a Derby fan.

I was amazed that the first thing he said to me, after discovering I am a Brighton fan, was this:

You have one hell of a player in Ashley Barnes

I'm quite fickle about the guy: love him one week, hate him the next. But it was really interesting what he was saying. It turns out his Dad is a Derby scout and Uncle is a Nottingham scout too...turns out both of them have watched him numerous of times and even Clough junior wanted him at one point last season.

From what he told me, they really rate him up north but, obviously Gus loves the bloke and wouldn't dare consider him in another top.

So are we all missing something here? Is Barnes the dark horse of the Championship in that the opposition fans love to have him in our team?

Or is it just pure delusion?

Personally I was shocked he didn't even mention Vicente/Buckley...Bridcutt was spoken about but not as much as Barnes.

Thoughts?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Currently at University and one of my flat mates is from Derby. He had a few friends round this weekend and got chatting to one of them who is a Derby fan.

I was amazed that the first thing he said to me, after discovering I am a Brighton fan, was this:

I'm quite fickle about the guy: love him one week, hate him the next. But it was really interesting what he was saying. It turns out his Dad is a Derby scout and Uncle is a Nottingham scout too...turns out both of them have watched him numerous of times and even Clough junior wanted him at one point last season.

From what he told me, they really rate him up north but, obviously Gus loves the bloke and wouldn't dare consider him in another top.

So are we all missing something here? Is Barnes the dark horse of the Championship in that the opposition fans love to have him in our team?

Personally I was shocked he didn't even mention Vicente/Buckley...Bridcutt was spoken about but not as much as Barnes.

Thoughts?

Hi Ashley! :bigwave:

Barnes is the best attacking player in the Championship and is currently being tracked by all of the top four in the Prem who are tabling massive offers for him in the summer.

(Mods - It seems Glenn-Murray has got hold of my password)

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Barnes is the best attacking player in the Championship and is currently being tracked by all of the top four in the Prem who are tabling massive offers for him in the summer.

(Mods - It seems Glenn-Murray has got hold of my password)

Sorry Major - those jokes were more appropriate before Manchester United actually did table a massive offer for the best attacking player in the Championship.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So are we all missing something here?

no "we all" aren't missing something, quite alot realise he's a very decent player. Gus apparently does too.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Sorry Major - those jokes were more appropriate before Manchester United actually did table a massive offer for the best attacking player in the Championship.

The gift that keep on giving :clap:

Remind us again how you have a team and the rest of us have a squad :wanker:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Very decent player who'd do a job in any side yes. Exceptional............ no not yet but is still very young and 'green' at this level. Remember he's also somewhat changed position all be it to one that seems to suit him well.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Thoughts?
a) You are a wind-up merchant b) Only a handful of Brighton fans are still missing something - you included c) we really rate him down south too!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Just perhaps if Barnes hadn't been such a twat last time out, we may actually have been in the play off places after last night's game ?

No need to compare any Albion players on this thread.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just perhaps if Barnes hadn't been such a twat, we would actually have been in the play off places after last night's game ?

Really? Nothing to do with the fact we didn't defend very well at Sheff Wed then. All down to one player and one game....

How about the last minute goals we've conceded?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here