Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Champions League final group fixtures

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We will be in it regardless as I believe the last 16 draw is made at the same time as the play off round. So if we win our group I think we get to find out which winners of the play offs would go on to play us.
Are you sure?

I tried to look into this earlier, and the best I could find was that last year the draws weren't done at the same time. The "round of 16" draw didn't happen until February 24th (click the "Procedure" tab)...

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
That’s why it’s slightly unfortunate Newcastle went out (although amusing).
Yeah, double-edged sword that one. Also, Newcastle's continued involvement in CL (which there were never going to win) woulda given them more games and more injuries, enhancing our prospects of finishing above them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you sure?

I tried to look into this earlier, and the best I could find was that last year the draws weren't done at the same time. The "round of 16" draw didn't happen until February 24th (click the "Procedure" tab)...

The last 16 draw is definitely 23.02.24.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Are you sure?

My mistake then, must have dreamt that ! :LOL:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Noticed that Newcastle only had 7 on the bench....although they could have had 11. Seems bizarre. I realise their are rules regarding who you can include in the squad, but I'm surprised they didn't have ANY other youngsters who might have benefitted from just being on the bench. Oh well, Eddie knows best....
It is strange as I saw a post about a week ago showing how many good under 23s they have....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone not wanting to experience Galatasary away in competitive football supporting the Albion, needs their head testing.

This isn't about individuals - this is all about the collective experience.
With Zaha, it’s always about the individual. Some seem to have short memories.

He would knock us out, and he would LOVE it.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Anyone not putting Galatasaray as last choice needs their heads testing.

Wilf Zaha would love nothing more than to knock us out - you know full well he’d put in a worldie performance.
I don’t care about Zaha, I just think Galatasaray always sounds like a horrible place to play football. They’d be bottom of my list. But as someone said, let’s beat Marseille first and get into the last 16.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I don’t care about Zaha, I just think Galatasaray always sounds like a horrible place to play football. They’d be bottom of my list. But as someone said, let’s beat Marseille first and get into the last 16.
Exactly same. Nothing to do with the diving cheat.

As much as I'd like to visit Istanbul generally, there's a history of violence and stabbings for away fans at football, much of which is indiscriminate.

That's one place you'd definitely get the away support bubble bus.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Anyone not putting Galatasaray as last choice needs their heads testing.

Wilf Zaha would love nothing more than to knock us out - you know full well he’d put in a worldie performance.
Spot on.

A bullseye.

I don’t want anything to do with that tosser ever again. The football gods would be behind him 100%. He’d get to score at the Amex again and we all know it!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
With Zaha, it’s always about the individual. Some seem to have short memories.

He would knock us out, and he would LOVE it.
Alternatively how good would it be to know that he left Palace to play European football and it was BRIGHTON who ended it for him?

That said I would much rather the Albion played AC Milan or Benfica.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Don’t know how you could read from my post that I wasn’t happy both teams are out, esp Newcastle - but asking how this effects our coefficient in 2024/5 was a genuine question and us winning the Europa is probably less likely than us getting a top 6 place tbh. Next year it all changes which is why I asked or perhaps you aren’t aware of that?

Newcastle and Man Utd getting knocked out won’t effect our co-efficient that much. We will still get 4 Champions League spots as those places are allocated on overall co-efficient which is calculated over a number of seasons. Obviously if we have several seasons where English clubs do poorly that could have an effect on how many places are awarded in each competition but a single poor season in isolation isn’t damaging.

Them being out does massively hurt the chances of being one of the top two associations for 23-24 season though and getting the extra Champions League spot for next season. Those extra spots will always be awarded to the top two associations based on the previous seasons co-efficient alone.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Newcastle and Man Utd getting knocked out won’t effect our co-efficient that much. We will still get 4 Champions League spots as those places are allocated on overall co-efficient which is calculated over a number of seasons. Obviously if we have several seasons where English clubs do poorly that could have an effect on how many places are awarded in each competition but a single poor season in isolation isn’t damaging.

Them being out does massively hurt the chances of being one of the top two associations for 23-24 season though and getting the extra Champions League spot for next season. Those extra spots will always be awarded to the top two associations based on the previous seasons co-efficient alone.
It's not only an extra champions league spot but an extra European spot. A non top 6 league cup winner is a real possibility, leaving just the top 6 having European spots compared to a possibility of 8 or 9 at the start of the year

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I missed this game (was doing a sleep study) which is a shame as I love my football and watch practically everything I can involving domestic teams.

Every time I have seen AC Milan they have been frankly shit, a shadow of their former selves. Did they just turn up for this game, was it a smash and grab, or were Newcastle even worse?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It's not only an extra champions league spot but an extra European spot. A non top 6 league cup winner is a real possibility, leaving just the top 6 having European spots compared to a possibility of 8 or 9 at the start of the year

All getting that 5th place would do is shift the Europa League spot through league position from 5th to 6th.

It would then be 1-5 CL, 6th and FA Cup winners Europa League, League Cup winners into the Conference League.

7th and 8th would only qualify through league position if sides in the top 6 won the cups. Or if the team finishing 7th won both cups, 8th would then get the Conference League spot.

9th would never qualify through league position even if we got the 5th Champions League place unless the team finishing 6th, 7th or 8th won the Champions League or Europa League and both cups were won by sides qualifying for Europe through league position (which is quite the long shot). And I’m not sure if that scenario wouldn’t actually see the Conference League spot removed for the season as happened to Spain in 21-22. Villarreal who would have represented them via League position also won the previous seasons Europa League so entered the Champions League and the Conference League spot wasn’t moved down to the next team in the league.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here