Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Centre Backs

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Ostigard around the matchday squad this season. Roberts ready to do likewise the season after. So no I think we’re fine and will see Veltman and Burn play a lot just like last year with our main two still Dunk and Webster.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Dont know about Nat Philips. Right footed, seems unlikely to me. It was one of the few weaknesses of the defense last season, the lack of a left footed CB.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Apparently we want Croatian defender Duje Caleta-Car from Marseille. From what I saw of him at the Euros, he’d be a much better replacement for White than Nat Phillips.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Dont know about Nat Philips. Right footed, seems unlikely to me. It was one of the few weaknesses of the defense last season, the lack of a left footed CB.

Agreed. No point signing a player who might be no better than Ostigard. Especially when Veltman will play every game right of a 3 if he is fit. A really good left footer or nobody personally.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Lots of chatter on various reds forums about Brighton enquiring about Nat Phillips.
Liverpool don’t really want to sell but he is now in 5th spot so reluctantly are thinking of letting him go for around £15m.
Nat was thrown in at the deep end after Xmas last year and after an initial wonky start came good and was an important part in the Reds push for third place.
If we can persuade him to come down south and he can get plenty of game time £15 is a steal.
He genuinely reminded me of Foz with some of his performances and would become a real fan favourite with both his attitude and the occasional goal.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Would mean Duffy is off.

Weird that ostigard isn’t given a chance. We have burn and veltman as centre back options too.

Unless of course burn is being lined up as a striker now? Wouldn’t put it past potter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agreed. No point signing a player who might be no better than Ostigard. Especially when Veltman will play every game right of a 3 if he is fit. A really good left footer or nobody personally.

Where I am….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Lots of chatter on various reds forums about Brighton enquiring about Nat Phillips.
Liverpool don’t really want to sell but he is now in 5th spot so reluctantly are thinking of letting him go for around £15m.
Nat was thrown in at the deep end after Xmas last year and after an initial wonky start came good and was an important part in the Reds push for third place.
If we can persuade him to come down south and he can get plenty of game time £15 is a steal.
He genuinely reminded me of Foz with some of his performances and would become a real fan favourite with both his attitude and the occasional goal.

I've no problem with signing Phillips, other than they may want to use him as a make weight in a deal to sign Bissouma.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Potter has the whole pre season to turn Duffy into a passing and blocking CB rather than just a blocking CB , he's managed to work wonders with Dunk and Burn for instance , Duffy has just under 2 years left on his contract and with a 1.2 million a year salary it would make commercial sense to at least try to make him a baller .

Perhaps Duffy can't make the step up required and that's fair enough not every player can play the way Potter wants but with White apparently leaving there may yet be a spot for Duffy in the squad .

No doubt he will now be loaned out before my straw grabbing interweb post ink has dried.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Dunk, Webster and Veltman first choices, Østigard and Burn as cover, plus one of the others - Roberts ? We’re alright.

I'd quite like someone to replace White who is good at the kind of things White was good at - extremely comfortable on the ball, bringing it out of defence, close-range accurate passing. For all Veltman's abilities that is not him, and Veltman to replace White would be a big step backwards in that position. I hope we sign someone - unless Ostigard or Roberts can be that player, I know little of them

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I'd quite like someone to replace White who is good at the kind of things White was good at - extremely comfortable on the ball, bringing it out of defence, close-range accurate passing. For all Veltman's abilities that is not him, and Veltman to replace White would be a big step backwards in that position. I hope we sign someone - unless Ostigard or Roberts can be that player, I know little of them

I thought Veltman has always looked really good on the ball....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There is no indication that Østigård has signed a new deal yet, so the talk of a new player may be linked to the fact he hasn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here