Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Centre Backs

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ostigaard had a great season at Coventry and I know their fans wanted them to sign him permanently. I've heards various reports about him being a natural leader, and potential future captain material. He strikes me as the sort of youngster that if we develop could become another future star for us. The fact that the Potter's coaching style is not just based around developing individuals but also "the group", makes me think Ostigaard would not only have the right temperament, but as he grows in confidence he could become a real asset to the first team squad.
I do wonder if one more year on loan is the plan for Østigård and then it'll be his time.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
£16m for a centre back when we have a huge stash of them in the U23s? I’d be surprised. I wonder if Naylor has lost some of his ITK powers.

I think I'd be a little disappointed if we spent 16m on a player who hasn't got bags of experience, 1 year of PL and a few CL games (albeit against some very good sides), rather than promoting from within. I prefer us spend a few million on picking up the next 16/17 year old wunderkind and bring them through.

With Mwepu and Caicedo coming in, there is no saying we will even continue with playing 3 CB and might change to a back 4 and 2 holding CM.

If 16m is the reported fee for Phillips and 15m is the reported fee for Edouard, I know where I would rather the money go.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think I'd be a little disappointed if we spent 16m on a player who hasn't got bags of experience, 1 year of PL and a few CL games (albeit against some very good sides), rather than promoting from within. I prefer us spend a few million on picking up the next 16/17 year old wunderkind and bring them through.

With Mwepu and Caicedo coming in, there is no saying we will even continue with playing 3 CB and might change to a back 4 and 2 holding CM.

If 16m is the reported fee for Phillips and 15m is the reported fee for Edouard, I know where I would rather the money go.

Both?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Haha you know what he meant :lol: We all knew of Sanchez and had seen him play at youth level a little but the way he just came from nowhere and was so good was mad - Walton was the one who we had the expectations of - and I think Sanchez was about 4th choice!

Walton had been higher profile to B&HA fans, in part because he played a handful of games a few years back, and was discussed then as becoming a first team regular. If you followed discussion of his loan spells, however, numerous issues were raised about his ability, whereas both those that were tracking Sanchez and on the limited occasions I saw him play for the u23s, he was quite clearly top notch, as has been confirmed since he's broken few.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
175cm makes him a little under 5'9".

The likes of Cannavaro, Puyol and Mascherano have shown you don't need to be 6ft + to make it as a CB though. There have been a few in the Premier League too (Aké, Mariappa, James Chester).

I think I’ve read that Roberts is still growing and has had a late teen growth spurt. There were certainly comments about the training photos released a week or so ago that the lad didn’t look short alongside players like White.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think I’ve read that Roberts is still growing and has had a late teen growth spurt. There were certainly comments about the training photos released a week or so ago that the lad didn’t look short alongside players like White.

Good news. An extra couple of inches is always welcome :)

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Oh bore off. We’re getting better all the time. Naylor says we are replacing and I believe him over any spotty teenager pretending to be ‘in the know’ on Twitter.

As for strikers, we clearly have a small list. West Ham spent £40m and he was useless. So I trust our incredibly detailed recruitment process over your petulant need to spend money that isn’t your own. We’ll spend money when we find the right solution.

Next season, Newcastle, Southampton, Norwich, Brentford, Watford and potentially Palace and Wolves should be worse than us even without buying a striker so let’s wait for the right option, shall we?

Find another pram for your toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was just making the point that for all the talk about how wonderful our recruitment is there is still a glaring omission from the squad.

£16m on Nat Phillips sounds crazy but I would agree that our record on defenders is generally good.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I do wonder if one more year on loan is the plan for Østigård and then it'll be his time.

I think that could definitely be an option. I certianly wouldn't be surprised by it. But equally I think about Potter talking about Sanchez, and how he said it's his responsibility to help young players with potential to develop by giving them opportunities, so maybe he might get a chance with the first year. I genuinely think it's hard to call from a fans point of view, 50/50 probably. Personally I would like to see him involved in the squad this year. I have high hopes for him.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Is this the same recruitment strategy that saw 2 x strikers binned off and Connolly promoted prematurely to senior striker leaving us so woefully short up front it could have cost us our place in the division has Fulham not been an absolutely inept basket case?

Yes, and also the same recruitment and pathway strategy that has gifted us one of the best young keepers in Europe, Alzate, Lamptey, Webster, Bissouma, Gross, MacAllister, Trossard, Veltman, Lallana, Welbeck and Ben White who has been sold for £50m. Without even going into the wealth of talent we have out on loan.

You can always pick holes. Some people will only focus on the negatives. But in this case the recruitment team have far more hits than misses.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Yes, and also the same recruitment and pathway strategy that has gifted us one of the best young keepers in Europe, Alzate, Lamptey, Webster, Bissouma, Gross, MacAllister, Trossard, Veltman, Lallana, Welbeck and Ben White who has been sold for £50m. Without even going into the wealth of talent we have out on loan.

You can always pick holes. Some people will only focus on the negatives. But in this case the recruitment team have far more hits than misses.
Thanks Paul

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
£16m for a centre back when we have a huge stash of them in the U23s? I’d be surprised. I wonder if Naylor has lost some of his ITK powers.

I don’t get it either.. we have so many talented CB’s coming through. It doesn’t seem like us to bid £15m for an untested one.

But then, have to trust Ashworth. His eye for a player has been pretty good so far.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Phillips is a Warrior similar to Duffy, not a ball playing centre back.
This rumour cannot be true??

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Phillips is much more than a warrior, his passing is actually very good.

But he is excellent in the air. Out of the 75 Premier League CBs who played over 1000 league minutes, Phillips ranked 5th for aerial duel success rate.

Ben White ranked 61st.

We conceed very few chances from open play, so to improve our defence from set pieces is a smart move. Phillips will definatley do that.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
That’s your response? Poor and says a lot about your ability to justify your constant negative opinions.

So anyone who says anything positive about the club is Paul Barber masquerading on NSC... Good one [emoji106]

It was clearly a joke. It made me laugh and I'm Potter IN.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here