Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Cars and congestion

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
That's the problem, isn't it. Ultimately the reason for congestion is that once of a day, you needed to be rich to drive are car. But as general wealth has increased and motoring has got relatively cheaper, driving has come within the range of far more people.

The easy solution is obviously to make it more expensive so only better off people can afford it. But are there any fairer solutions?
equality of opportunity is the fairer solution

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Slightly off topic, but since when did backfiring cars become desirable? I was working in Hastings the other night and heard what sounded like gunshots. It was in fact some idiot in a poxy little hatchback who thought it was a good idea to wake EVERYONE up while he made his way (probably to mcdonalds).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The UK is more than happy with the trauma of 30,000 dead and seriously injured, and has been for quite a while.

If it wasn't sentencing would be stronger.
Government would be held to account by the media, instead of a prejudice confirming 'War On Our Roads' piece, once a year.
Public transport would be viable.
Active transport would be front and centre.
Road would be a safe surface.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The UK is more than happy with the trauma of 30,000 dead and seriously injured, and has been for quite a while.

If it wasn't sentencing would be stronger.
Government would be held to account by the media, instead of a prejudice confirming 'War On Our Roads' piece, once a year.
Public transport would be viable.
Active transport would be front and centre.
Road would be a safe surface.

Perhaps he thinks he has more important things to do than attend an international jolly. I dare say they'll let him read the conclusions that will help to abolish road deaths.

They know how to abolish road deaths. Make the speed limit 10 mph in town (or possibly 5 mph) and 30 mph on motorways, and fit governors to all cars so they can't exceed it. That would more or less sort it. But the public, as a whole, would (IMO) rather take its chance.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
To ensue speed limits are kept perhaps we should return to the pre 1904 law that all motor vehicle should be preceded by a man on foot waving a red flag???

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012
Everyone banging on about more public transport (buses): Any idea where the staff would come from, currently in excess of 60 drivers short across Brighton buses and nobody wants to work.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Less funny

A derisory "out in 5 years" after taking the lives of 3 people and ruining the lives of many more.
Why does the judiciary mitigate drunk driver killings to allow such weak sentencing. What excuses do they eagerly find?
I would think only the drink drivers could possibly find an excuse in being drunk behind the wheel of any vehicle and killing people.
I just don't understand it.

Is 10 years the max?
Do they consider this as a single offence even though multiple people were killed by this twat. How many more people would've had to have been killed to warrant a more appropriate appropriate sentence.
3 lives lost = only 5 years deprived of his liberty then back to carry on his life as normal.
C**t.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Everyone banging on about more public transport (buses): Any idea where the staff would come from, currently in excess of 60 drivers short across Brighton buses and nobody wants to work.
There are many and I include my son in this (28) who aren’t prepared to work unless it’s a job that absolutely ticks every single box, he’s now whining his £750 a month JSA doesn’t leave him much to play with, very difficult for me not to head round to his ‘squat’ and kick his backside down to B & H Buses or the numerous other jobs that apparently ‘beneath’ him!! I love my son but at times I don’t like him 😞

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There are many and I include my son in this (28) who aren’t prepared to work unless it’s a job that absolutely ticks every single box, he’s now whining his £750 a month JSA doesn’t leave him much to play with, very difficult for me not to head round to his ‘squat’ and kick his backside down to B & H Buses or the numerous other jobs that apparently ‘beneath’ him!! I love my son but at times I don’t like him 😞
My son won't be popular with yours, after this:-

Jnr Stat (18) is a grafter from paper round to now.
When we went into lockdown he was taken under the wing of a neighbour, working Estate Management.
He carried that on with 2 years of work/college, is just now full time.
He also works evenings and weekends at McDonald's.
& informed me last night he's advertising himself on FB marketplace as a gardening handyman.

Everytime we discuss his teenage misdemeanours we always end - "yeah but the boy doesn't half work".

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My son won't be popular with yours, after this:-

Jnr Stat (18) is a grafter from paper round to now.
When we went into lockdown he was taken under the wing of a neighbour, working Estate Management.
He carried that on with 2 years of work/college, is just now full time.
He also works evenings and weekends at McDonald's.
& informed me last night he's advertising himself on FS marketplace as a gardening handyman.

Everytime we discuss his teenage misdemeanours we always end - "yeah but the boy does half work".
He might not but I doff my hat to your boys work ethic 👍

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A derisory "out in 5 years" after taking the lives of 3 people and ruining the lives of many more.
Why does the judiciary mitigate drunk driver killings to allow such weak sentencing. What excuses do they eagerly find?
I would think only the drink drivers could possibly find an excuse in being drunk behind the wheel of any vehicle and killing people.

Is 10 years the max?
Do they consider this as a single offence even though multiple people were killed by this twat. How many more people would've had to have been killed to warrant a more appropriate appropriate sentence.
3 lives lost = only 5 years deprived of his liberty then back to carry on his life as normal.
C**t.
Have you seen the footage in the article?
He's driving so fast he's almost too quick for the Ring doorbell shutter speed, only capturing the car in one frame.

I have no idea how the sentence was reached but as said before posting TODAY'S shocking road murder the country doesn't take this action seriously (as proven by the replies) so why should anyone else?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I hope someone catches up with him and beats him until he's half dead, then he recovers, and they beat him half dead again and to repeat it for the rest of his life, the piece of sh*t.

Imagine just on this one single occasion what the emergency service guys and gals had to experience when they got there.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
He's driving so fast he's almost too quick for the Ring doorbell shutter speed, only capturing the car in one frame.

I have no idea how the sentence was reached but as said before posting TODAY'S shocking road murder the country doesn't take this action seriously (as proven by the replies) so why should anyone else?
Even 70mph (on the relevant road of course) is a scary speed yet alone 100mph+. Only on the occasions when I've been parked in a lay-by on a dual carriageway standing metres from the traffic do you really experience how fast that actually is. I shudder when I read about cases like this.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Is 10 years the max?
C**t.
It’ll be the Home Office sentencing guidelines which dictate the length of the l sentence. They really need updating to realistic sentences.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
How is that a problem. She can only drive 1 at a time. How does that add to congestion?

That’s right.

Bus travel is not a pleasant way to travel and cycling isn’t for everyone.

I am soon to get a second car. A petrol. I drive into Greater London 1-2 days a week for work and my Diesel is not ULEZ compliant.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just for the 😆's nothing more.

1688226508961.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Is 10 years the max?
C**t.
How does 'out by Christmas' sound to you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here