[Travel] Cars and congestion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Two is impossible because the ease of being able to go at your own time not bus time, no need to change buses, having storage for anything you want to carry, being able to go door to door, is all such an advantage that buses can't compete.
There are a huge number of journeys into and around town/city centres for which using the bus/tram/train is not only obviously preferable, but is obviously preferable by a vast margin.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ban all cars except smart cars. They are half the size so we automatically cut down congestion by 50%.
I have suggested to this to many people but strangely no one appears to be supportive!
So we could fit twice as many carbon emitting cars in the same place?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
There are a huge number of journeys into and around town/city centres for which using the bus/tram/train is not only obviously preferable, but is obviously preferable by a vast margin.
That must depend on which town or city. The only time when the bus is preferable for me to go into Burnley, is when there's snow on the road. I don't drive in snow.

Brighton, I dare say, is different.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
More motorbikes, smaller cars. I live out in the sticks and taking the bus can be problematic. I don't think increasing the frequency of buses is realistic here as there are insufficient users. Tax bigger cars more or incentivise smaller ones.
Insufficient use because of poor service and investment. Improve the service and folk have an option to use. Clear the roads and it becomes the first choice

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
That must depend on which town or city. The only time when the bus is preferable for me to go into Burnley, is when there's snow on the road. I don't drive in snow.

Brighton, I dare say, is different.
Brighton may well be different to Burnley, but that's not what I'm basing my opinion on.
I'll grant you that getting public transport from somewhere outside Lewes to East Grinstead was a pain, because it took two changes and two modes of transport.
And going from suburban Leicester to Anstey was a drag as well.
Other than that, I've generally found getting to/from work on public transport pretty painless in most places.
On the other hand, if sanding my own balls off would guarantee never having to drive into Leeds ever again I'd seriously consider it.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
BHCC taking the absolute piss by increasing parking charges from 17th July.

Zone N Central Hove and the area by Hospital increasing from £1.40 to £5.60 per hour! Greedy scum.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Zone N Central Hove and the area by Hospital increasing from £1.40 to £5.60 per hour! Greedy scum.

All this will do is reduce the number of people taking their cars into Hove, terrible idea…..

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I've just been in Milwaukee, where buses run from everywhere to everywhere at a maximum of $864 per year if you use them all day and every day. Max $2 per ride, max $4 per day, max $19.50 per week and $72 per month. And from a very quick count of car v bus passengers while waiting for a bus one day, about 5% of journeys were made by bus and the rest by car. It's not a wealthy city, the buses are convenient and cheap, and people still prefer going by car.

As they would in this country even buses were cheaper and better. Cutting perhaps an hour a day off even a shortish commute is worth a lot to most people.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
buses are far too expensive, I understand they need profit but why would you use it if you've got a car outside your house. unless their is proper investment into a jump on jump off service that is reliable and quick or a proper park and ride for daytrippers then not much is going to change. its all well and good to say put yellow lines everywhere or ban cars but when you need to drive for work or pure necessity your just making things worse

Encourage people to give up their cars by giving those who do a public transport discount pass (make it a meaningful discount though, around 75%). Won't work for everyone but for some, especially those on lower income, it might work.

The Cornish have got 3 months of this.

There's no way this level of entitlement just goes away because we have cheaper buses and trains.

That's Ireland

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Much talk about supply, little about demand. We make far too many unnecessary assisted journeys. You can manage without whatever you've forgotten from the supermarket, you could just walk that bit further. You don't need to go on 4/5 holidays a year.

We've become conditioned in to thinking we should be able to do whatever we want, whenever we want and however often we want and won't be told otherwise.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

in the spirit of this thread, this is what we want to see and a lot more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
in the spirit of this thread, this is what we want to see and a lot more.
With a continuation to the £2 bus fare deal and cracking on with the Active Travel initiative...

...oh.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Much talk about supply, little about demand. We make far too many unnecessary assisted journeys. You can manage without whatever you've forgotten from the supermarket, you could just walk that bit further. You don't need to go on 4/5 holidays a year.

We've become conditioned in to thinking we should be able to do whatever we want, whenever we want and however often we want and won't be told otherwise.
Who the hell is having 4/5 days holiday a year at the moment!!!! Sometimes feel I'm living in a parralell universe! Maybe some really well off but they can afford the new parking charges anyway.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Council already saying they’re going to “review” those potential increases in parking charges

Probably due to the overwhelmingly negative response to them so far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports