Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Cars and congestion

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
With the loss of car tax revenue from hydrocarbons there is a review ongoing or has been completed that going forward we may be taxed on where and when we use our cars. Examples are something like this So M25 junction 13-16 between 8-9am - £2/mile, A272 at 3pm - 25p/mile, rural road in the highlands at 10pm - 0p/mile. This will then make people focus on where and when they drive, raises revenue, reduced congestion. (this does require per e ant trackers in all cars).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Who the hell is having 4/5 days holiday a year at the moment!!!! Sometimes feel I'm living in a parralell universe! Maybe some really well off but they can afford the new parking charges anyway.

My brother & his family have more than that, (not with them :smile:) @Tom Hark Preston Park, clients who find themselves in a good place, an Albion supporting friend.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Usually seem to be empty or have maybe 1-2 people in them……
I mean, I'm not claiming to be an expert on every town's public transport [hastily checks thread to check he hasn't claimed to be an expert on every town's public transport].
Unless you're simultaneously complaining about there being too much traffic in Burgess Hill while disregarding a bus that stops outside your front door I don't have much to say.
Although I guess as long as the buses doesn't always have the same 1 or 2 people on them they're probably still improving matters.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I mean, I'm not claiming to be an expert on every town's public transport [hastily checks thread to check he hasn't claimed to be an expert on every town's public transport].
Unless you're simultaneously complaining about there being too much traffic in Burgess Hill while disregarding a bus that stops outside your front door I don't have much to say.
Although I guess as long as the buses doesn't always have the same 1 or 2 people on them they're probably still improving matters.
I see them when I’m out running….

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I've not really kept up with this thread but we are a no car family in Brighton and it's a doddle.

Unfortunately most are so attached to their cars I can't see much changing for a while, though the next generation might be priced out of driving as I'm glad to not have that expense to worry about.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
'But Brighton and Hove City Council leader Bella Sankey said a rethink will now take place as she highlighted the importance of patients and staff having affordable access to the hospital and other services in the city.'

Astounding climb down and begs the question, weren't the council aware of the big new shiny building along Edwards Road when they first considered increase charges for that area!! The importance of patients and staff having affordable access to the hospital and other services in the city existed before the decision to increase in the first place but apparently, that wasn't taken into account!! My wife works at the hospital but public transport isn't an option from where we live. The price hike would increase her parking charges from about £40 per week to £100. That would mean about £5000 a year just to be able to get to work.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
'But Brighton and Hove City Council leader Bella Sankey said a rethink will now take place as she highlighted the importance of patients and staff having affordable access to the hospital and other services in the city.'

Astounding climb down and begs the question, weren't the council aware of the big new shiny building along Edwards Road when they first considered increase charges for that area!! The importance of patients and staff having affordable access to the hospital and other services in the city existed before the decision to increase in the first place but apparently, that wasn't taken into account!! My wife works at the hospital but public transport isn't an option from where we live. The price hike would increase her parking charges from about £40 per week to £100. That would mean about £5000 a year just to be able to get to work.
I get your outrage.
But, broadly, the council have been forced to seek measures in order to generate revenue from here, there or everywhere because central funding has been slashed since austerity.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I get your outrage.
But, broadly, the council have been forced to seek measures in order to generate revenue from here, there or everywhere because central funding has been slashed since austerity.
I don't accept that that's the reason for the sharp increase. Central funds have been shrinking for 13 years, you don't just try and make that up in one big increase.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've not really kept up with this thread but we are a no car family in Brighton and it's a doddle.

Unfortunately most are so attached to their cars I can't see much changing for a while, though the next generation might be priced out of driving as I'm glad to not have that expense to worry about.

Genuinely interested, what do you do when you want to go visit friends/family or do something a long way (say 100+) miles away ? Public transport ? Hire a car ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My band mate and his Mrs moved back to London 5 years ago and gave up the car . . . Just hire one when they need, maybe 2 times a year. PT and bicycles most of the time.

we've gone from 3 vehicles to one in the last 3 years, no motorhome, no second car, they're not being used . . . I sold a classic as well as I never drove it . . . . The roads aren't good enough To enjoy it. . . . We keep 1 car at present because we need one once or twice a week maybe . . .
Mrs Zef shops online, I want to look at the food I'm buying, but I'll use a scooter, quicker, and far more enjoyable.

town and city centres need to make car life hell . . .there's no need to drive in or through them. Walk Or cycle, you fat lazy selfish ****s!

buses need cleaning up too. Most of them are over sized diesel belching behemoths with 4 or 5 people on board, squeezing through roads built for a horse and cart.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My band mate and his Mrs moved back to London 5 years ago and gave up the car . . . Just hire one when they need, maybe 2 times a year. PT and bicycles most of the time.

we've gone from 3 vehicles to one in the last 3 years, no motorhome, no second car, they're not being used . . . I sold a classic as well as I never drove it . . . . The roads aren't good enough To enjoy it. . . . We keep 1 car at present because we need one once or twice a week maybe . . .
Mrs Zef shops online, I want to look at the food I'm buying, but I'll use a scooter, quicker, and far more enjoyable.

town and city centres need to make car life hell . . .there's no need to drive in or through them. Walk Or cycle, you fat lazy selfish ****s!

buses need cleaning up too. Most of them are over sized diesel belching behemoths with 4 or 5 people on board, squeezing through roads built for a horse and cart.
Are you retired or working?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Are you retired or working?
Working full time. I Cycle to work . . . Sometimes scooter. Took a pay cut to work closer to home. . . . Been round the block several times in that respect, over the years, I used to travel all over europe, some years drive 25k miles , but 25-30 years ago it was a paid adventure!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here