Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carl Rushworth - Loan to Walsall

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Rushworth will spend the full season at Walsall, jump straight to a championship loan the season after and then either be replacing Sanchez or fighting him for the keepers spot. He’s the real deal.

If he's good enough to replace big Robbie, then he's an incredible young keeper. I hope your optimism is well founded

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If he's good enough to replace big Robbie, then he's an incredible young keeper. I hope your optimism is well founded

Big Bob will definitely get a big move if he keeps progressing

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
exactly, Walton was as highly rated but bombed at Blackburn.

Is that the Christian Walton who played in every one of their 46 Championship matches? Top bombing that ...........

Hardly. Walton is out of the picture with Albion. Finished. Gone. Done with.
I think you're right - but I think on his return from Blackburn he was still ahead of Sanchez (in some peiople's eyes) in the pecking order. After all, it was Walton who came on at half time in the Chelsea pre-season game, not Sanchez. However, he looked nervous, flapped dreadfully and then got injured and subbed; Sanchez came on, and looked the part straightaway. When Ryan's form dropped Sanchez was the one brought in - and the rest is history.

Walton was unlucky, true, but ultimately I think he is a decent Championship/League 1 GK - and I wish him luck and a good career.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He's certainly good enough to be playing for a Top 6 Premier League team...

Not sure he’s done enough yet but maybe as soon as the end of the season, we could get some tasty offers.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Not sure he’s done enough yet but maybe as soon as the end of the season, we could get some tasty offers.

Ahem:

Screenshot 2021-10-06 125453.png

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Rushworth will spend the full season at Walsall, jump straight to a championship loan the season after and then either be replacing Sanchez or fighting him for the keepers spot. He’s the real deal.
Or maybe take the Roberts route - back here to learn with the first team squad for a season before possibly going out to the Championship next season? A possibity - age is on their side.

Kjell Scherpen must be loving this.
............ and he hasn't actually had very much senior football experience, and only a year older than Rushworth. Could he be the one out on loan next season?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

All of which we'll turn down. Then if someone does want to offer us something ridiculous the season after, like with White, we might accept, but only if we're confident our replacement is ready. Which he might be by then

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
All of which we'll turn down. Then if someone does want to offer us something ridiculous the season after, like with White, we might accept, but only if we're confident our replacement is ready. Which he might be by then

Don’t rule out ridiculous offers next Summer, from here or Spain.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

IF IF IF, doing well so far yes, but still far from the finished article. There is a great tendency on this board to catapult players straight into the first team squad. Let's wait and see how things develop.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Don’t rule out ridiculous offers next Summer, from here or Spain.

Luckily it will probably be another year or two before Spanish teams can think of making ridiculous offers again.

Its pretty obvious he will end up in one of the best teams one day but its usually easier to hold on to competent goalkeepers a few more years than outfield players. For the time being there is no great demand for goalkeepers: all the top teams in England look pretty content with what they have, same in Spain, PSG got four or five. Bayern will have to replace Neuer in the next few years but other than that there is no European giant who looks anywhere near needing a new keeper in the foreseeable future.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I only saw Scherpen play once. In a u23 game a few weeks back. I can confirm ....... he looked tall

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I only saw Scherpen play once. In a u23 game a few weeks back. I can confirm ....... he looked tall

All very well having a gigantic goalkeeper, but it's an awfully long way down if he needs to save a shot along the ground.

Always remember that being one of Joe Corrigan's few weaknesses back in the day, and he was "only" 6' 4"!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
All very well having a gigantic goalkeeper, but it's an awfully long way down if he needs to save a shot along the ground.

Always remember that being one of Joe Corrigan's few weaknesses back in the day, and he was "only" 6' 4"!

Well yes and if you were a centre forward bearing down on goal against an enormous keeper like Kjell, would you be looking to dink it over him or stroke it into the bottom corner?

The young man will have to make it with the quality of his keeping rather than relying on his size. Which is just how it should be

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here