Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carl Rushworth - Loan to Walsall

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Like when we loaned Tom McGill to Crawley, for 18 of the last 24 months, and he didn't start a single league game?

There will be no guarantees, or promises. There might be financial incentives to start him (i.e the Albion pay his wages if he's starting, but Walsall cover them if he isn't) but it will be up to Rushworth to earn his place.

Was basing my comment on the fact that Walsall have only one other goalkeeper listed on their books, so I highly imagine he would be going their as first choice.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not sure if I've seen anything of McGill so far to be honest, but I've seen a little bit of Rushworth and I think he looks the real deal. I'm fairly confident he's going to get to play, McGill had a more senior and experienced goalkeeper ahead of him. I might be wrong, but I don't think it was at the start of pre-season when he went there, whereas Rushworth has a real chance to stake his claim against who I think has only played 38 matches at the age of 26 (assuming Wikipedia is correct - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Rose_(footballer)).

Have you seen much of either or both? Genuinely interested what your perspective on the two is, as a former (and current?) keeper yourself.

I've seen very little of either, tbh.

Have only been impressed when I have seen Rushworth though.

McGill looks (again from very little, so may be doing him a huge disservice) jittery with the ball at his feet.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good luck to Carl, he has always looked rock solid for the development sides and deserves a shot at EFL action.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
FWIW, McGill is a year older than Rushworth, has made a handful of senior professional appearances (Rushworth has none) and has England age group caps (Rushworth has only been on training camps, I think), so if they are indeed at 'different stages' of their development, it is actually McGill who should in theory be ahead.

That said, when they played a half each for the U23s against Worthing last week, Rushworth looked far more composed (albeit he had the advantage of playing behind a better, more experienced, defence).

Rushworth was called up to the England U-19 squad for the three UEFA 2020 U-19 European Championship qualifying round matches in North Macedonia in November 2019, although he wasn't in the matchday squad for any of the games. He was then called up to the England U-20 squad for the friendly against Wales at St George's Park in October 2020 (he was an unused sub).

Both of these experiences have happened since Tom McGill was last involved in an England squad. Incidentally, McGill was born in Canada and in June 2014 was invited to a Canadian Boys U-15 national talent ID camp in Toronto. I guess there is a possibility he might choose to switch allegiance at some point, should the opportunity present itself.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Walsall fans seem to think he’ll be a solid back-up keeper.
I don’t think he’ll be back-up for very long.
Quite a few Walsall fans are more savvy than that (unlike the Cambridge fan, or the neanderthals at Aberdeen!)

"I can’t imagine he’s been brought in just to be back up all season."
"Think this guy is here for the number 1 Jersey tbh."
"If he’s that good, England youth/Barca keen etc, then he’s gonna be number 1 surely."
"I don’t for a moment think he’s been signed just as a back up to Rose."

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
FWIW, McGill is a year older than Rushworth, has made a handful of senior professional appearances (Rushworth has none) and has England age group caps (Rushworth has only been on training camps, I think), so if they are indeed at 'different stages' of their development, it is actually McGill who should in theory be ahead.

That said, when they played a half each for the U23s against Worthing last week, Rushworth looked far more composed (albeit he had the advantage of playing behind a better, more experienced, defence).
I agree with your assessment of the two keepers in the Worthing game -- and based on not very much I get the feeling that Rushworth may just be edging ahead of McGill, in the same way that I felt Sanchez had edged ahead of Walton.
I'm sure Walsall won't be under any contractual obligation to play him, but I very much think the way we are placing our loanees this summer, the expectation is that they will win a place in their teams on ability and merit.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I agree with your assessment of the two keepers in the Worthing game -- and based on not very much I get the feeling that Rushworth may just be edging ahead of McGill, in the same way that I felt Sanchez had edged ahead of Walton.
I'm sure Walsall won't be under any contractual obligation to play him, but I very much think the way we are placing our loanees this summer, the expectation is that they will win a place in their teams on ability and merit.

Always going to be a handful that doesnt get to play very much, if you loan out 20+ players.

Hopefully as many as possible will get to play obviously.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Always going to be a handful that doesnt get to play very much, if you loan out 20+ players.

Hopefully as many as possible will get to play obviously.

No, the club isn't loaning out players hopefully. The loan management team will be doing some very careful targetted placement of our loanees; guaranteed game time, obviously not, but the expectation of game time will be very high.

Last edited:

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Brilliant keeper

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If he's not called into Spain's World Cup squad for Qatar I'm gonna boooooooooooo him and write him off completely.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I've just noticed that our U23s are playing Walsall in the EFL Trophy in September. Perhaps us loaning them Hot Carl is just a ruse...

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Played the first half against a virtually full strength Palace team. 1-0 down from a Zaha goal. Subbed off for Walsall's regular keeper at HT - Palace subbed all 11 players...!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
SSN are promising highlights of the Walsall - Palace friendly later this afternoon. Chance to see Rushworth in action - I think he just played the first half. Seems to have ipressed the locals, and apparantly couldn't have done anything about the only goal of the match (scored by Wantaway Wilf).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
SSN are promising highlights of the Walsall - Palace friendly later this afternoon. Chance to see Rushworth in action - I think he just played the first half. Seems to have ipressed the locals, and apparantly couldn't have done anything about the only goal of the match (scored by Wantaway Wilf).

Just watched the highlights. One excellent Rushworth save (from SEGW) but had no chance with the goal (also SEGW). Good start.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
McGill will likely have a solid career in L2/L1 and much like Walton before him was a pretty safe bet to be solid without much elite upside. Playing for Canada in the future could be a good opportunity even as part of the squad as they’ll keep getting better and better.

I’ve not seen as much of Rushworth to comment fairly, but hear nothing but good things and that he might have a wider range of where his talent level could settle. Expect he needs to play this year though and if isn’t by Xmas should be recalled. Expect he’ll get gametime though as trust the club to have found him the right loan.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here