Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff fans are going to love Zaha

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Is The Football league English though smart arse? There is a Welsh League and no route into The Football League from it, as far as I am aware, if Cardiff or Swansea were to fall through the divisions, what leagues would they end up playing in?

The Football League was the first organised league, and when it was formed there were no rules about having to be an English club. If a French club had wanted to join at the time, they would have been allowed to.

Other leagues formed in other countries, including the Welsh League - but by then, various Welsh clubs were part of The Football League.

When Newport were ejected from the league, I believe that they had to get a temporary ground in England to avoid being put under the jurisdiction of the Welsh FA. The Football League has become, pretty much, the English League, but it wasn't that in the first place.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Sorry...there is....you have to pay to enter Wales via the bridge...but pay nothing to come back to England...(it's alright, it's just being in a pedantic mood swing).
Didn't need a passport to go into France but needed one on the way back...

Ain't that just for use of the bridge though (ala Dartford Tunnel) as opposed to being a toll for entering the "country".

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
How comes Palace get to play in England? Isn't Disney land in France?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Are you sure? I was DEFINITELY asked to show mine (at both ends, for both journeys) when I went to Dublin in August.

I went to Ireland recently, and I didn't need a passport. Just photo I.D.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
Pointless defines a country as a member of the UN so Wales and England are not countries.

Personally I define a country as a place with a football team so Wales is a country.

Pretty sure Newport are still in the English leagues as well. Is it just the 3 teams?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The Football League was the first organised league, and when it was formed there were no rules about having to be an English club. If a French club had wanted to join at the time, they would have been allowed to.

Other leagues formed in other countries, including the Welsh League - but by then, various Welsh clubs were part of The Football League.

When Newport were ejected from the league, I believe that they had to get a temporary ground in England to avoid being put under the jurisdiction of the Welsh FA. The Football League has become, pretty much, the English League, but it wasn't that in the first place.
Thank You, I can see now how come some Welsh clubs feature. I will maybe get a bit anorak about this and try and find out what league Cardiff would be relegated to if they fell out of The Football League.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Thank You, I can see now how come some Welsh clubs feature. I will maybe get a bit anorak about this and try and find out what league Cardiff would be relegated to if they fell out of The Football League.

Well, things seem to have changed, Wrexham got relegated into the Conference.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Weird, I was required to show mine not just at the boarding gates but the depature/arrival desks.

Arrivals in Dublin will accept your UK-airport boarding pass as a substitute, or a photocard driving licence if you've lost the boarding card.

Aer Lingus / Cityjet / BA will take a wild assortment of ID at check-in.

I rarely if ever these days have my passport with me when I'm over for a game. Last time was because I'd come from Holland!

Ireland is certianly another country and you dont need a passport to fly there, I believe driving from N.Ireland into Ireland there is no requirement either.

Border is wide open for about ten years now - just a sign on the motorway telling you've changed country.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think the it was accepted that the following 8 criteria needed to be met for a nation to be a country:
England and Wales only pass 1 & 2.

eh? There is no "England and Wales", except in the eyes of a few sporting bodies. England long ago annexed Wales as a England fulfills all 8 of your points. Wales fails on point 7 as it has no sovereignty.

isnt it a uniquely English/British oddity to confuse the meaning of country like this, Catalonia or Walloonia arent refered to as countries by either us or their residents. we embiggen the status of our major regions for some reason.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Pointless defines a country as a member of the UN so Wales and England are not countries.

Personally I define a country as a place with a football team so Wales is a country.

Pretty sure Newport are still in the English leagues as well. Is it just the 3 teams?

I think Newport was in England at one stage

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here