Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff fans are going to love Zaha

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So Zahaha tweeted this in 2011. To be fair, he couldn't have known he was headed to Cardiff at that time.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Are you sure? I was DEFINITELY asked to show mine (at both ends, for both journeys) when I went to Dublin in August.

If it was Ryanair, they have a policy to ask for a passport on any journey. UK and Ireland have a 'free borders' agreement, so it's not legally required, it's upto the airline

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Wrong. Not since 1536: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Wales

And from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales
<<The governments of the United Kingdom and of Wales almost invariably define Wales as a country.[94][95] The Welsh Assembly Government says: "Wales is not a Principality. Although we are joined with England by land, and we are part of Great Britain, Wales is a country in its own right.">>

hope this is so
maybe we can be rid of them a bit sooner than later Europe are welcome to them

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Do you need to show a passport when you travel from lets say France to Belgium? No you dont.

No idea? The only example of an action performed when you cross into another country I could think of was the passport. There doesn't seem to be any kind of official "border control" between England and Scotland/Wales, you're free to come and go as you please like walking from one side of a village to another.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
If it was Ryanair, they have a policy to ask for a passport on any journey. UK and Ireland have a 'free borders' agreement, so it's not legally required, it's upto the airline

Weird, I was required to show mine not just at the boarding gates but the depature/arrival desks.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Because there is no such thing as the English Football League (or Premier for that matter).

It's The Football League.

Is The Football league English though smart arse? There is a Welsh League and no route into The Football League from it, as far as I am aware, if Cardiff or Swansea were to fall through the divisions, what leagues would they end up playing in?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
No idea? The only example of an action performed when you cross into another country I could think of was the passport. There doesn't seem to be any kind of official "border control" between England and Scotland/Wales, you're free to come and go as you please like walking from one side of a village to another.

You can do this throughout all of the EU (except for UK and Ireland).

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Wales was officially a principality until 2011, in 2011 Wales was recognised as a country by the International Standards Organisation so since then it has been a country.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is The Football league English though smart arse? There is a Welsh League and no route into The Football League from it, as far as I am aware, if Cardiff or Swansea were to fall through the divisions, what leagues would they end up playing in?

No is the short answer. The Football League is not English.

Cardiff or Swansea may well end up in a Welsh League if dropping out the league and would feasibly have to apply if they wanted to come back.

But that doesn't make the Football League English. I know it doesn't make sense and is an historical oddity, but it is what it is...

( and isn't me being Smart )

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wales was officially a principality until 2011, in 2011 Wales was recognised as a country by the International Standards Organisation so since then it has been a country.

It is a touch more complicated than that as I understand it. Firstly, the term "principality" refers to a monarchical feudatory or sovereign state whose ruling monarch is a prince or a princess with an executive role in administering the state. Since the Prince of Wales has no role in administrative control over Wales and has not done for centuries, the term is archaic in constitutional terms.

In other words, it is simply the case that the British Standards Institute (responsible for supplying the definition to the ISO) had never bothered updating it, because it didn't really matter. So I suppose it was officially labelled a "principality" until 2011, but this definition had been false for centuries.

Not that any of this matters in 2014, because according to the ISO, Wales officially has country status. But I guess we could all just ignore the ISO, and other international regulatory bodies, plus the wealth of information on the internet, and instead just accept that pompous internet gimp "Triggaaar" knows best instead?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Sorry...there is....you have to pay to enter Wales via the bridge...but pay nothing to come back to England...(it's alright, it's just being in a pedantic mood swing).
Didn't need a passport to go into France but needed one on the way back...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Pedant alert. It's rygbi.

its still spelled wrong and looks even worse
while we were there we found lots of words supposedly Welsh that were obviously stolen from many languages and spelled in many different ways

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here