Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Caravans in Preston park

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
That's a different question from what you asked earlier.

You asked earlier why no-one is welcoming them. There could be any number of reasons, several of which have been highlighted on this thread. Pick one.

Now you're asking why I'm claiming that no-one is welcoming them; apart from a letter from a Conservative councillor encouraging the travellers to pitch up in central Brighton, no-one has laid out the welcome mat to them, unless I've missed something.

However, the council (every council) has a legal obligation - one I'm sure they don't want - to find a permanent site for them. That's different from welcoming them.

You responded to the question " green part is welcoming them...no? " with the statement " no, no-one is welcoming them" .
I asked why not ? You ignored the question , so I posed it again ,
asking " I'm intrigued as to why you claim no-one is welcoming them ?? Are you going to answer ? "
Can you tell me whats so different about the questions ? if the statement no-one is welcoming wasn't yours , on whose behalf was it made ?

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You responded to the question " green part is welcoming them...no? " with the statement " no, no-one is welcoming them" .
I asked why not ? You ignored the question , so I posed it again ,
asking " I'm intrigued as to why you claim no-one is welcoming them ?? Are you going to answer ? "
Can you tell me whats so different about the questions ? if the statement no-one is welcoming wasn't yours , on whose behalf was it made ?

I didn't ignore it; it's the case that I didn't see it. I generally see when someone has quoted one of my post in the Notifications window up top. However, it doesn't always list them a quote.

The difference is that your first question (in response to the statement that 'no-one is welcoming them', though meant within the context of the City Council, even though that wasn't clear) said 'why not?' which I read as 'why is no-one welcoming them?' The way you worded your follow-up was 'why are you claiming that no-one is welcoming them?' So I answered those two questions in the previous post.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I didn't ignore it; it's the case that I didn't see it. I generally see when someone has quoted one of my post in the Notifications window up top. However, it doesn't always list them a quote.

The difference is that your first question (in response to the statement that 'no-one is welcoming them', though meant within the context of the City Council, even though that wasn't clear) said 'why not?' which I read as 'why is no-one welcoming them?' The way you worded your follow-up was 'why are you claiming that no-one is welcoming them?' So I answered those two questions in the previous post.
No you didnt , you swerved it , because you realised you were guilty of the same prejudices that you and others have berated me for , albeit over different targets.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Building an extension of the traveller site at Horsdean is the solution to the current problems. Nobody wants travellers in their local park, let's be honest. I think i'm correct in saying that if the site at Hordean is full, it makes it tougher to rapidly move on travellers. If there's available pitches at Horsdean, the police can simply instruct them to move straight to the pitches. So a larger Horsdean site is the solution.

On a seperate point - for anybody daft enough to buy into the Argus peddled myth about the green council welcoming travellers to the city... have you not noticed (or refused to see) how rapidly most groups of travellers have been moved on this summer? There's way less incidents of travellers in city parks and hinterlands this summer, surely for this reason. Might be a coincidence, but i have noticed loads more travellers around Shoreham this summer (torrie controlled council, by the way).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No you didnt , you swerved it , because you realised you were guilty of the same prejudices that you and others have berated me for , albeit over different targets.

What? Who have I been prejudicial against? I haven't offered an opinion on the travellers. I didn't say 'it's a good thing that no-one is welcoming them', only that 'no-one is welcoming them'.

And no-one has openly welcomed them.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

Anyway, have a nice day (genuinely meant) , I'm off out for what I hope will be an extremely liquid lunch !!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

To be honest, that is not an unusual amount when it comes to a hot day in Preston Park.

Stag dos seem to be the worst. Buy a cheap half barrel barbie and just leave it. Along with bags and bags of rubbish.

Loads of tvs are left in the park.

Homeless chaps seem to find mattresses and then abandon them.

Of course, travellers are annoying, but they are not the only ones that leave mountains of litter explain someone else to clean up.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning - Job done !!!

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Just realised I am a NIMBY.

More caravans arrived last night/early morning, saw the Police arrive as I was walking to work.

Still there on the way home, both the police and caravans. Was quite impressed with how clean and sparkly they were though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here