Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Captain Sir Tom Moore - *Died 2 Feb 2021*

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I looked it up and the money is from the book sales which is separate from the Captain Tom Foundation which went to NHS workers. I believe there was a doubt about her role in the foundation by paying herself a salary, but if Sir Tom left the revenue from the books, to her, in his will, then she isn't doing anything wrong?
The Charities Commission is investigating so maybe wait for their conclusions because we hang draw and quarter her.

It says in tonight's standard she is on record as promising all the money would go to the charity.

Perhaps it is time for the media to leave her alone. I'm not sure.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Isn’t this how they are exploiting him?
Well, as I said, he's dead, so he won't know. Semantics, perhaps.

One could argue the most exploited man in history is Jesus, the exploitation of whom has bankrolled a variety of churches for mre than 1000 years. And yet....I don't really feel sorry for Jesus. It is what it is.

Hats off to Sir Tom, nevertheless.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Well, as I said, he's dead, so he won't know. Semantics, perhaps.

One could argue the most exploited man in history is Jesus, the exploitation of whom has bankrolled a variety of churches for mre than 1000 years. And yet....I don't really feel sorry for Jesus. It is what it is.

Hats off to Sir Tom, nevertheless.
I’m not sure Jesus has any living relatives?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Having watched the full interview, looks like old Tom was tucking a bit away (quite legally) for himself and the family.

He was alive when the books were written of course and did the deal with publisher.

Morgan had real difficulty getting that nugget out of them and the interview was paused before they "admitted" it.

Some nuanced publicity could have given the impression the book was for charity, that said the further less successful ones made it clearer that they weren't.

Was also being paid for appearances.

They've made a huge number of mistakes, but would the press be after him if he was still alive ?

It's a complete mess and looks like the charity is finished.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Having watched the full interview, looks like old Tom was tucking a bit away (quite legally) for himself and the family.

He was alive when the books were written of course and did the deal with publisher.

Was also being paid for appearances.

They've made a huge number of mistakes, but would the press be after him if he was still alive ?
When you say he was tucking it away, is that his own words (obviously recorded before he died) or is that the story being spun by his daughter?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
When you say he was tucking it away, is that his own words (obviously recorded before he died) or is that the story being spun by his daughter?

No, a separate company was set up. All the accounts are on companies house.

The plan was to licence his name on branded products, but the £800,000 sitting in there was from his book deal.

This of all course done when he was alive. He became albeit short lived a very bankable celebrity. Being paid thousands for appearances at corporate events.

They should never have set the charity up in his name to avoid confusion, which it clearly has and probably ruined any chance of money being raised in his name in the future.

They been incredibly stupid and badly advised. They haven't taken a penny out of the charity to be clear, but have benefited indirectly because of its existence.

Throw in a few things out of their control. The CEO of the charity salary thing was a bit of a non story but that's already been reported if you read beyond the headlines.

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The minutiae, as is often the case in matters such as these, are irrelevant.

The general perception from Joe and Jo Public is that matey waddling on his frame was generating cash for an excellent cause.

"More, more" was the cry, "What a hero" without even considering that personal gain might be be lingering in the background.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The general perception from Joe and Jo Public is that matey waddling on his frame was generating cash for an excellent cause.
It did millions to be fair.

It could have raised millions more, but they've smashed the reputation.

I'd imagine those who bought the best seller thought the profits were going to the NHS.

There will be a comedy dramatisation at some point. How a silly idea in a back garden snowballed and then went tits up.

seagull77

Aug 11, 2009
Tbh, the mention of the opportunity to raise more funds for charity in the book indicates that all or some proceeds will go to charity. If none has them that's misleading and will tarnish what has been a sad ending to his legacy

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I saw a bloke the other day that looked just like him.
1697190533311.png
Arnold Humminger, he does look like someone who had been crucified.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Compared with today, the family can at least console themselves with the knowledge that tomorrow will be a good day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here