[TV] Captain Sir Tom Moore - *Died 2 Feb 2021*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Herein is the issue many have with charities. The one you were involved in I'm sure was set up with the best intention but once it was control by that CEO they created an empire that I doubt they had to answer for.

I witnessed first hand the RSPCA and just would never give them a penny. It's a huge shame but it is a huge sham.

Charities that fund research (cancer, heart disease) underwrite 90% of research in the UK. The rest comes from HMG (via the MRC) and other smaller bodies.

All of them rely on people in the field peer reviewing grant applications submitted by, er, other people in the field. This amounts to the pupils marking their own homework. Soon it is the Oxbridge stream in the sixth form marking everyone else's homework.

You can guess the rest.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Herein is the issue many have with charities. The one you were involved in I'm sure was set up with the best intention but once it was control by that CEO they created an empire that I doubt they had to answer for.

I witnessed first hand the RSPCA and just would never give them a penny. It's a huge shame but it is a huge sham.

One great thing about the RSPCA is their stance against the evil of illegal fox hunting and similar.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
One great thing about the RSPCA is their stance against the evil of illegal fox hunting and similar.
No one doubts their stance it's the corruption within their executive that's the worry and has been for decades. The executive bleed the money. That's why the charity commission has been investigating them for a long time.

Simply put the money doesn't go where it should be.

I fully support animal charities that I can see where the money goes. When my wife died all the donations went to Raystede £6500.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Don't "celebrities" get paid for bringing attention to charitable causes?
And hosts of Children in need etc?

I think they used to but do they still?

Services rendered in return for grubby money.
A celebrity has a value to the charity. If they're paid, that should be because the extra publicity and therefore donations their endorsement brings far outweighs any fee. Can't see what value this woman was adding to the operation.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No one doubts their stance it's the corruption within their executive that's the worry and has been for decades. The executive bleed the money. That's why the charity commission has been investigating them for a long time.

I fully support animal charities that I can see where the money goes. When my wife died all the donations went to Raystede £6500.

We visited Raystede recently, fantastic place/people.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
A celebrity has a value to the charity. If they're paid, that should be because the extra publicity and therefore donations their endorsement brings far outweighs any fee. Can't see what value this woman was adding to the operation.
Yes, often stated in mitigation.

But, reason/excuse?
Have there ever been any studies to prove that due to their status donations outweigh their fees?
I don't believe they should be paid.
Consider it a PR exercise, don't take the money and do the charitable thing.

Who actually knows what the woman was adding to the operation. I expect she's got some story already in place to cover her arse.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

According to google, the investigation was closed down in 2021 with the commission satisfied by changes in governance put in place.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
According to google, the investigation was closed down in 2021 with the commission satisfied by changes in governance put in place.
Maybe but it goes back to the 80's. Believe me I am well aware of what was going on. The sale of the old HQ in the Causeway Horsham was one many questioned in the town.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes, often stated in mitigation.

But, reason/excuse?
Have there ever been any studies to prove that due to their status donations outweigh their fees?
I don't believe they should be paid.
Consider it a PR exercise, don't take the money and do the charitable thing.

Who actually knows what the woman was adding to the operation. I expect she's got some story already in place to cover her arse.
Mrs DiS and I were always deeply suspicious of the whole thing even when Captain/Colonel Tom was still alive - not suspicious of him and his motives, but suspicious of her and what she intended to do. We were always suspicious that she was in it for her own good rather than being altruistic.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We walk over to the Donkey's field, they're cute (and greedy).

But we still haven't seen Mings and Maguire.
There must be a bench somewhere or perhaps they're living at Southgate's country pad under an adoption scheme.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
His daughter grafting early doors. Surprised he made it to 100!

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Sir Tom is the story that keeps the sun in advertising revenue, the poor soul has died, I just wish they would stop exploiting him for money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports