Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can't wait to for the Greens…

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As it stands, Labour will likely be the largest party on the council. However, they may need help from the Greens on a few things. Labour may not have enough seats to get over the line.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Bus/cycle lanes everywhere turning Brighton into a giant car park! Great for the environment.... not

Yes, especially as all the local parties were involved in their creation...

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
I haven't got all night, but here's two to get you started, filthy streets and a shocking performance on recycling!

True, but they have been well and truly f##ked over by the GMB union running City clean, most of the dustmen refused to go to work today.
Suppose it was their way of waving goodbye.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
This. By far the best council in living memory... the proof is in the pudding, the rate of regeneration of this city since they have been in charge has been unprecedented.

Then of course there is a phenomenal MP in Caroline Lucas.

You can see their support all over the city - there is absolutely no way that Greens will be voted out, thankfully.

This. For every Labour window poster there are at least five or six times that number for the Greens in most streets, and in several 'split' voting properties, a Labour poster is counterbalanced by a Green one.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Interesting thread - I don't live locally but am interested to see the views expressed on the Greens. Anyone willing to tell me know why they have been so bad please?

As promised, here's one of my previous posts on the Greens ( and I could list an awful lot more ! ) :

"The redevelopment of Queens Road ? You mean thousands spent on slightly wider pavements and planters ( which have never had anything growing in them except weeds ) ? Money spent even after locals residents didn't want it. Or maybe the Seven Dials that is already breaking up and that had safety barriers removed against both residents and charities for the blind objecting ( we'll ignore the debacle with the tree ). The Open Market and library building were passed by the previous administration ( the Jubilee Library even opened under the previous administration ).

Ah, RSCH, fitting ever more buildings on a wholly inadequate space, at a site with utterly poor public transport and even worse parking.

i360 - a corrupt deal through and through. Two Tories voted for it to ensure it was passed after an under the table deal. Thanks to them and the Greens we the council taxpayers are now liable for a loan that the council have given to a developer who is over £2m in debt.

Lets throw in Edward Street - over a year late and businesses failing because of lost business. Speed bumps needing to be replaced because they were too severe. Pavements replaced at huge cost when they didn't need to be ( but don't worry it's a grant - nowt to do with taxpayers money at all ! ). Or the Lewes Road improvements - Buses now travel more slowly over the distance and local roads have become rat runs. What about the Gyatory ? Completely pointless spending of £600k and the introduction of dangerous cycle lane ( which then had to be fixed at taxpayers expense ).

Parking fees - car parks and on street parking charges have gone up in multiples of inflation. Permit prices - it was promised when they were set up that the charges would only cover the cost of running the scheme. They now sit at £160 a year - way over the cost of running the scheme after multiple over inflation busting rises in charges by the Greens.

Permits forced on residents around Preston Park station - and even then they mucked up the installation of the meters and signs.

Well above inflation increases in fees for sports facilities. An attempt to increase allotment fees in multiples of inflation - surely you can't get more Green than allotments ? And when I tried to speak to Green councillors about it they ignored me ...... until after they lost the vote when I got emails from them slagging off the Tories and Labour.

Maybe the requests for stupidly high increases in council tax make them attractive .... er no.

Or maybe one of their councillors taking the piss out of Hangleton residents wanting CCTV installed to combat anti-social behaviour and drug dealing ? Yes, that'll make them popular.

The new plans for the Palace Pier roundabout ? Utterly idiotic.

Of course you'd expect the Greens to improve air quality and recycling rates ? Think again !!!! And Kitcat had the audacity to suggest the reason for low recycling rates was students - the very people who got got the Greens in ( and admitted by the Green candidate for Hanover when they lost the by-election ).

Then let's take a look at their councillors - Duncan ( c**t, supports violence and makes 'jokes' about stoning his daughter, although he's now an ex-Green but only after he became too much even for this pathetic party ), Kitcat ( male - utter mealy mouthed tosser ), Kitcat ( female - slut who thinks the people of this city are inbreds ), Davey ( a lair ), Phillips ( buggers off to Africa almost the moment she's elected to represent her voters ), Deane ( very shouty and loves travellers - to the point that she wants to double the budget for supporting them ), Macafferty ( sh1ts in microwaves ) and then we come onto the utter loon who is Hawtree.

I suggest, if they are available, you go and watch the recordings of previous council meetings - especially the budget setting ones - each and every Green that speaks shows themselves up as a dimwitted political bandstanding idiot wanting to play the political game - no different to the other parties other than they are completely out of their depth ( and strangely I thought you wanted a change to the system but you love the Greens ? ).

Nationally ? All I can say is watch the car crash that is the Natalie Bennett interview and if you still want to vote Green then I stand by my claim you need committing.
"

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
This. By far the best council in living memory... the proof is in the pudding, the rate of regeneration of this city since they have been in charge has been unprecedented.

You can see their support all over the city - there is absolutely no way that Greens will be voted out, thankfully.

I take it that this is tongue in cheek. The way they have let the fabulous historic seafront infrastructure crumble to ruin is nothing short of scandalous.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

What about the're recycling rates, you know Greens being green?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What about the're recycling rates, you know Greens being green?

They are very poor. And re-cycling is something that most people will embrace with proper education on the matter. With the level of waste this day, and the shortage of landfill, it's a flagship policy which should get universal approval. Yes, that has been a failure.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
They are very poor. And re-cycling is something that most people will embrace with proper education on the matter. With the level of waste this day, and the shortage of landfill, it's a flagship policy which should get universal approval. Yes, that has been a failure.

Ironically it's the Greens support of the students that hasn't helped them in this instance. A Cityclean survey showed that the people that recycle the least are ? The students - 30,000 of them. Strangely those questioned were more than happy to recycle when at home with their parents but felt it unnecessary when in 'digs'.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
To be ousted from power tomorrow! Oh forgot to mention only the majority of Brighton & Hove residents will understand!

Hilarious post ! very little will change whoever is in power, you will still be ripped off for parking and other charges and council services will have to be reduced thanks to the Tory governments cap on its grant to councils.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
The council aren't as bad as people make out. They have made mistakes BUT...

“Some of them, especially those in senior posts, are among the best councillors I’ve worked with — proactive, pragmatic, risk-taking, forward-thinking,” says Tony Mernagh, chief executive of Brighton & Hove Economic Partnership.

Tourism is at record levels, the city has been named one of the best places in the UK for start-ups and SMEs and the council has attracted £64m in external investment since the Greens took over.
Cycling and bus travel is rising, Brighton has won awards for sustainable transport and environmental policy and the Greens have campaigned with some success to promote the living wage. In fact, Mr Kitcat claims, they have fulfilled 75 per cent of their manifesto pledges.

Those are from this FT article From this article http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8500071a-ab9a-11e4-8070-00144feab7de.html#axzz3ZU98HfmY

Which also provides criticism and is a fair assessment IMO.

Can't believe one or two on this thread aligning Lucas and the City Council. Cluelessness personified.

Yep

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The council aren't as bad as people make out. They have made mistakes BUT...

“Some of them, especially those in senior posts, are among the best councillors I’ve worked with — proactive, pragmatic, risk-taking, forward-thinking,” says Tony Mernagh, chief executive of Brighton & Hove Economic Partnership.

Tourism is at record levels, the city has been named one of the best places in the UK for start-ups and SMEs and the council has attracted £64m in external investment since the Greens took over.
Cycling and bus travel is rising, Brighton has won awards for sustainable transport and environmental policy and the Greens have campaigned with some success to promote the living wage. In fact, Mr Kitcat claims, they have fulfilled 75 per cent of their manifesto pledges.

Those are from this FT article From this article http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8500071a-ab9a-11e4-8070-00144feab7de.html#axzz3ZU98HfmY

Which also provides criticism and is a fair assessment IMO.

Yep

The Green led administration has been far from a failure. There have been many successes, as you say. The presentation, and a number of inexperienced foopah's (plus the bins madness:ffsparr:) have not helped. Some of the councillor's may also have said some things that haven't covered them in glory either.

I accept that it hasn't been great at times, but a hostile local press hasn't helped. It's unwillingness to focus on successes has been clear. As well as other parties hiding behind the coat tails and letting the Green's take blows for things that they supported (bus lanes comes to mind).

I saw Bill Randall tonight, and we spoke about the AMEX. He reminded me how he was fully behind all the additional seats going in- the stadium's development had administration support- even though The Argus tried to present the Greens as being anti-Albion. (Although an Arsenal supporter, he has attended games and supported the team).

It's all academic, Labour will be the biggest group on the council come Saturday. Good luck to them. In the light of the massive cuts to come they will need it. In fact, good luck to all the councillors, whatever party, if they have the interest of the town at heart.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The Green led administration has been far from a failure. There have been many successes, as you say. The presentation, and a number of inexperienced foopah's (plus the bins madness:ffsparr:) have not helped. Some of the councillor's may also have said some things that haven't covered them in glory either.

I accept that it hasn't been great at times, but a hostile local press hasn't helped. It's unwillingness to focus on successes has been clear. As well as other parties hiding behind the coat tails and letting the Green's take blows for things that they supported (bus lanes comes to mind).

I saw Bill Randall tonight, and we spoke about the AMEX. He reminded me how he was fully behind all the additional seats going in- the stadium's development had administration support- even though The Argus tried to present the Greens as being anti-Albion. (Although an Arsenal supporter, he has attended games and supported the team).

It's all academic, Labour will be the biggest group on the council come Saturday. Good luck to them. In the light of the massive cuts to come they will need it. In fact, good luck to all the councillors, whatever party, if they have the interest of the town at heart.

One of the issues I've had with the Green councillors is that they don't like to be challenged - it's effectively been a "it's our way or the highway". That combined with their general lack of responsiveness makes them appear arrogant and aloof. Not something I've experienced with Labour or Tory councillors. It's one thing to be idealistic but they do need to appreciate not everyone will agree with them and that doesn't make the people who disagree with them the devil incarnate.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
One of the issues I've had with the Green councillors is that they don't like to be challenged - it's effectively been a "it's our way or the highway". That combined with their general lack of responsiveness makes them appear arrogant and aloof. Not something I've experienced with Labour or Tory councillors. It's one thing to be idealistic but they do need to appreciate not everyone will agree with them and that doesn't make the people who disagree with them the devil incarnate.

I won't take issue with that. The one thing that saddens me, with my Green hat on, is that there will be some good councillors who will lose the job. But that's politics. Life goes on.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

This is getting better, of course we could never expect the Tories to be arrogant and aloof ! :rotlf:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

How did you challenge them?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Instead of cutting emissions they have made them much worse by gridlocking the roads with barmy implemented schemes

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
As promised, here's one of my previous posts on the Greens ( and I could list an awful lot more ! ) :

"The redevelopment of Queens Road ? You mean thousands spent on slightly wider pavements and planters ( which have never had anything growing in them except weeds ) ? Money spent even after locals residents didn't want it. Or maybe the Seven Dials that is already breaking up and that had safety barriers removed against both residents and charities for the blind objecting ( we'll ignore the debacle with the tree ). The Open Market and library building were passed by the previous administration ( the Jubilee Library even opened under the previous administration ).

Ah, RSCH, fitting ever more buildings on a wholly inadequate space, at a site with utterly poor public transport and even worse parking.

i360 - a corrupt deal through and through. Two Tories voted for it to ensure it was passed after an under the table deal. Thanks to them and the Greens we the council taxpayers are now liable for a loan that the council have given to a developer who is over £2m in debt.

Lets throw in Edward Street - over a year late and businesses failing because of lost business. Speed bumps needing to be replaced because they were too severe. Pavements replaced at huge cost when they didn't need to be ( but don't worry it's a grant - nowt to do with taxpayers money at all ! ). Or the Lewes Road improvements - Buses now travel more slowly over the distance and local roads have become rat runs. What about the Gyatory ? Completely pointless spending of £600k and the introduction of dangerous cycle lane ( which then had to be fixed at taxpayers expense ).

Parking fees - car parks and on street parking charges have gone up in multiples of inflation. Permit prices - it was promised when they were set up that the charges would only cover the cost of running the scheme. They now sit at £160 a year - way over the cost of running the scheme after multiple over inflation busting rises in charges by the Greens.

Permits forced on residents around Preston Park station - and even then they mucked up the installation of the meters and signs.

Well above inflation increases in fees for sports facilities. An attempt to increase allotment fees in multiples of inflation - surely you can't get more Green than allotments ? And when I tried to speak to Green councillors about it they ignored me ...... until after they lost the vote when I got emails from them slagging off the Tories and Labour.

Maybe the requests for stupidly high increases in council tax make them attractive .... er no.

Or maybe one of their councillors taking the piss out of Hangleton residents wanting CCTV installed to combat anti-social behaviour and drug dealing ? Yes, that'll make them popular.

The new plans for the Palace Pier roundabout ? Utterly idiotic.

Of course you'd expect the Greens to improve air quality and recycling rates ? Think again !!!! And Kitcat had the audacity to suggest the reason for low recycling rates was students - the very people who got got the Greens in ( and admitted by the Green candidate for Hanover when they lost the by-election ).

Then let's take a look at their councillors - Duncan ( c**t, supports violence and makes 'jokes' about stoning his daughter, although he's now an ex-Green but only after he became too much even for this pathetic party ), Kitcat ( male - utter mealy mouthed tosser ), Kitcat ( female - slut who thinks the people of this city are inbreds ), Davey ( a lair ), Phillips ( buggers off to Africa almost the moment she's elected to represent her voters ), Deane ( very shouty and loves travellers - to the point that she wants to double the budget for supporting them ), Macafferty ( sh1ts in microwaves ) and then we come onto the utter loon who is Hawtree.

I suggest, if they are available, you go and watch the recordings of previous council meetings - especially the budget setting ones - each and every Green that speaks shows themselves up as a dimwitted political bandstanding idiot wanting to play the political game - no different to the other parties other than they are completely out of their depth ( and strangely I thought you wanted a change to the system but you love the Greens ? ).

Nationally ? All I can say is watch the car crash that is the Natalie Bennett interview and if you still want to vote Green then I stand by my claim you need committing.
"

Thanks for that comprehensive reply Westdene and much appreciated. I didn't vote Green.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here