Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

can you remember your first Albion game?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Yep. It was against Southampton at the Goldstone. I think it might have been 80/81. My recollections are that we lost 1-0, we were on the east terrace, I think Kevin Keegan played for Southampton and Sammy Nelson played for us......other than that :shrug:

I was only 7 though, and it was a long time ago!

If Sammy Nelson played it was April 1982 - score was 1-1. It was a televised match with TVS showing highlights.

Devon Seagull

Sep 25, 2004
South Devon
First Albion game
1978 v Fulham 2-0. Went with my uncle and stood in the south end of the East terrace. I remember a policeman telling me that I couldn't bring in a small foot stool into the ground to stand on and was made to leave it outside. Surprise surprise when we went to pick it up after the game someone had nicked it.:(

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
My family got tickets from a friend as a Christmas present to see us play Bristol City on Boxing Day back in 2003. Brilliant experience, even though I haven't been able to see as many games as I would like, it was still a memorable day, even though the match was pretty forgettable (goalless draw IIRC?)

Brighton v Man City 4th round FA cup 1983. 4-0. Wide eyed 7 year old sat in the West Stand. Will never forget it.

I was there on the terraces in front of the West, great game made even sweeter as a City supporting friend came with us (he did get the last laugh at the last game of the Season). I remember the ironic cheers when the "...in the event of a replay, arrangements will be...." announcement came out at half time.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I was there on the terraces in front of the West, great game made even sweeter as a City supporting friend came with us (he did get the last laugh at the last game of the Season). I remember the ironic cheers when the "...in the event of a replay, arrangements will be...." announcement came out at half time.

Although it must have been sweet when Luton (Brian Horton and co) relegated Man City in injury time, after Man City relegated us the previous week!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
How the google did I get the result backwards and forget that peach of a goal?!! The memory plays some odd tricks at times!

Must have felt like a defeat because we lost the penalty shoot out.

(Don't worry, as already said, I don't remember a thing about my first game).

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Unfortunately. Called off at half time due to a war breaking out on the pitch. Next one I got to attend in person was the playoff final, so that did make up for it.

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
Yep 87/88 v Huddersfield (March/April)
Drew 1-1 with Terry Connor scoring a cracking equaliser towards the South stand,where I was sat.
Dragged along by my father and have watched for Albions results since.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Yep 87/88 v Huddersfield (March/April)
Drew 1-1 with Terry Conner scoring a cracking equaliser towards the South stand,where I was sat.
Dragged along by my father and have watched for Albions results since.

It was April 1987. Barry Lloyd had yet to win his first match as manager after three months in charge!

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
Fair do's I was I year in front!!
My old man kept going on about Joey Jones in the Huddersfield line up.
Meant nothing to me then....but obviously does now !

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Fair do's I was I year in front!!
My old man kept going on about Joey Jones in the Huddersfield line up.
Meant nothing to me then....but obviously does now !

Respect to you for not being put off by seeing relegation in your first season!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
27 April 1974 vs. Bristol Rovers. 1-1. You had me at hello.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If Sammy Nelson played it was April 1982 - score was 1-1. It was a televised match with TVS showing highlights.
Well there you go, not the worst start to my spectating career. Have you got any more details? Did Andy Ritchie score for us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here