Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you be offside if you collect the ball in your own half?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
The law is based on when the ball is played. Not when it is received.

Yes it is, and if you receive in their half you would be offside unless it was deemed another phase of play.
But if you are in your own half when you receive it then you are onside, regardless of where you were when it was played.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes it is, and if you receive in their half you would be offside unless it was deemed another phase of play.
But if you are in your own half when you receive it then you are onside, regardless of where you were when it was played.

I'm sorry but you're not right. I have just looked it up. The law is based on the moment the ball is played by a team mate. If you are in an offside position at this moment then you have infringed the law. It's quite clear: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_11_offside_en_47383.pdf

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Law 11 states that you cannot be offside in your own half.

Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you mentally challenged? It is COMPLETELY irrelevant which direction the player was running in, he was offside when the ball was kicked so the fact he wasn't offside when he received the ball is simply not relevant. Because the offense has already been committed and the game halted before he received the ball. Why are you finding this so hard to understand?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Based on what the laws say the player is absolutely in an offside position when the ball is played, they make no reference to receiving the ball in your own half.

A player is in an offside position if:
  • he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

A player is not in an offside position if:
  • he is in his own half of the field of play or
  • he is level with the second-last opponent or
  • he is level with the last two opponents

As for interfering with play, FIFA's guide to interpreting the rule says interfering with play "means playing or touching the ball passed or
touched by a team-mate". Although I wasn't at the game yesterday, this does sound like what happened based on what other people have said.

The FIFA document also says it's interfering with play in the following situation:

A player in an offside position (A) may be penalised before playing or touching the ball, if, in the opinion of the referee, no other team-mate in an onside position has the opportunity to play the ball.

Again not being at the game I can't judge this, but it would mean that, potentially, he could have been interfering with play in two different ways, making it an offence.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are you mentally challenged?

I think you're being out of order here. TonyW might be wrong but there's no need to be rude is there?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If you are stood in an offside position (opposition half obviously) and the ball is played in your direction, if you can somehow get back into your half before actually receiving the ball, then you are onside.

The original offside position is nullified.

You cannot be offside if you receive a ball in your own half.

Wrong again.

Offence
A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball
touches or is played by one of his team
, he is, in the opinion of the referee,
involved in active play by:
• interfering with play or
• interfering with an opponent or
• gaining an advantage by being in that position​

The law states that it's when the ball is touched/played by your team mate, not where you are when you receive the ball.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
TonyW has got a bit muddled here. Still, it makes for a good debate!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Muddled isn't the word I'd use.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Going off at a slight tangent why wasn't Nasri's goal today disallowed? Prescott had to be interfering with play as right in the keeper's line of sight and he lifts his boot to let the ball go by.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
The debate about this rule started because we were confused when (I think) Reading took the freekick inside our half. This was wrong, even if he was correctly given offside.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It really surprises me how many people lack the basic knowledge of the rules. Those around me screaming about March touching the ball twice from a corner. Some people are plain stupid

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Going off at a slight tangent why wasn't Nasri's goal today disallowed? Prescott had to be interfering with play as right in the keeper's line of sight and he lifts his boot to let the ball go by.

Yes, definitely interfering even though he didn't touch the ball.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It really surprises me how many people lack the basic knowledge of the rules. Those around me screaming about March touching the ball twice from a corner. Some people are plain stupid

I think a lot of people thought the keeper had got a touch on the ball as it hit the post.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

In fairness, the points that TonyW is making have some merit:

a) that a player in his own half cannot be offside.
b) that there are different passages of play that affect whether there is an offside offence committed.

However, he is misapplying these points because:
a) The offside law relates specifically to the moment when the ball is played by a team mate, not to when it is received.
b) While different passages of play exist, the pass from a team-mate to being received by a player is only one passage.

Further muddying the waters is the fact that in some contexts, a player will only be flagged for offside when he receives the ball, rather than the moment the ball is played.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Guardian website now update with Keith Hackett's verdict - so if anyone is still in any doubt, this should clear it up:

"Standing in an offside position is not an offence. But when he receives the ball he becomes active, so you have to declare him offside. Restart with an indirect free-kick, taken from where he was standing in his opponents' half when the ball was kicked."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/06/newcastleunited-laws-of-football#

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
MY GOD.

Are there REALLY 5 pages of people arguing one of the most BASIC aspects of the offside rule?

And remember, this isn't a message board for the W.I where you'd maybe expect some people on it's board to not understand the most basic football rule going.

I can't believe I got to page 4 and still had people explaining to others that it "is where the player is when the ball is played, not where the player is when he receives it"

Give me strength :lolol:

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
MY GOD.

Are there REALLY 5 pages of people arguing one of the most BASIC aspects of the offside rule?

And remember, this isn't a message board for the W.I where you'd maybe expect some people on it's board to not understand the most basic football rule going.

I can't believe I got to page 4 and still had people explaining to others that it "is where the player is when the ball is played, not where the player is when he receives it"

Give me strength :lolol:

When I logged in and saw this thread was STILL running, I had the same reaction. Give me strength indeed :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here