Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you be offside if you collect the ball in your own half?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
But surely he only becomes active when he actually receives the ball.

Not true. Of course players are in a position to be interfering with play before they actually receive a ball.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's a bit of a daft rule though. How much advantage do you want to give the defence? I feel anything collected in your own half should be onside, whether they were offside or not originally.

They should do away with the offside rule anyway. We'd have some results of the yesteryear like 7-3 instead of 0-0 or 1-0. Anything to discourage goalscoring is bad.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not true. Of course players are in a position to be interfering with play before they actually receive a ball.

You've convinced me. I can see it now. The minute he plays the ball he has gained an advantage from being in an offside position. Don't play it and he stays onside....irrespective of where the half way line is.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
If the ball is played to a player who is standing in an offside position, who then collects the ball in an onside position, he's still offside. Can't believe this is even being debated.

This all day long. Honestly, this is really basic basic stuff.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
You've convinced me. I can see it now. The minute he plays the ball he has gained an advantage from being in an offside position. Don't play it and he stays onside....irrespective of where the half way line is.

Yes, Mind you, he doesn't need to even play the ball for there to be an offence. If he runs away from the ball, drawing a defender away, to create space for a team mate to receive it, he would be deemed to be interfering with an opponent.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
There's some dispute amongst the people I discussed this with after the game. In the first half, Lingard (I think) was the last man and just in the Reading half as the ball was played but collected it well inside the Brighton half but was given offside. Is this correct? Some people said yes, others said no. I went with 'no'.

(Won't mention some of the other offside decisions given by the lino on the West Stand line that were clearly wrong - no debates there.)

If he touched the ball in an offside position in our half then he is on side if he has collected in in theirs it's offside.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This all day long. Honestly, this is really basic basic stuff.

It would be nice for once to have a footie debate on this forum without some arsehat getting all high and mighty.

The fact that he collected it in his own half is the reason for this debate. If the offside rule still applies in that instance then fair enough but this particular scenario is such a rare occurrence that it's anything but basic.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
It would be nice for once to have a footie debate on this forum without some arsehat getting all high and mighty.

The fact that he collected it in his own half is the reason for this debate. If the offside rule still applies in that instance then fair enough but this particular scenario is such a rare occurrence that it's anything but basic.

Apologies for being an arsehat. But we all know it's when the ball is played. If it was when the ball is received, you would have players onside when the ball is passed to them, but if they've just ran clear through the defence and receive the ball, that would be offside.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If he touched the ball in an offside position in our half then he is on side if he has collected in in theirs it's offside.

He can't be in an offside position in our half. He was offside when the ball was kicked (the only time that matters), it's irrelevant where he collects it after that (according to the laws of the game). The 'active' or 'interfering' question is a bit more subjective.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
There's some dispute amongst the people I discussed this with after the game. In the first half, Lingard (I think) was the last man and just in the Reading half as the ball was played but collected it well inside the Brighton half but was given offside. Is this correct? Some people said yes, others said no. I went with 'no'.

(Won't mention some of the other offside decisions given by the lino on the West Stand line that were clearly wrong - no debates there.)

Were you trying to explain it to women ?

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Bill Nicholson, Bill Shankly and others all made the comment along the lines of " if a player's not interfering with play he shouldn't be on the pitch"! No wonder some of ours never get offside!

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
He can't be in an offside position in our half. He was offside when the ball was kicked (the only time that matters), it's irrelevant where he collects it after that (according to the laws of the game). The 'active' or 'interfering' question is a bit more subjective.

Its the same thing well what I meant was the same thing. Im not 100% about inactive and active but I stand by the fact you cannot be offside in your own half this said receiving a pass played in your own half and receiving it in the oppositions half is of course offside

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I think they should consider changing the offside rule so that you can't be offside from a free kick. Seems inconsistent to me with the rules around the goal kick. Actually, I'm not that bothered. Sundays, eh??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here