Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you be offside if you collect the ball in your own half?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Law 11 states that you cannot be offside in your own half.

Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Law 11 states that you cannot be offside in your own half.

Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That means under NO circumstances.

If you have tracked back from an offside position, then crossing the half way line automatically puts you in an onside position.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
I think they should consider changing the offside rule so that you can't be offside from a free kick. Seems inconsistent to me with the rules around the goal kick. Actually, I'm not that bothered. Sundays, eh??

It was tried for a season in the Conference a few years back. It led to total confusion for players and officials. As a linesman, not only was I trying to focus on what was going on but also had to keep reminding myself that there was no offside because it was a free kick! The players were equally confused! The other problem was that the change only applied to Conference games e.g. FA Cup on Saturday, usual rules, League game midweek no offside- result chaos! It was scrapped after one season.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Then you should know you are wrong!

Lingard collected the ball in our half, but when the ball was played to him he was in the opposition half.

Correct Decision offside to give him offside.

I'm answering the question can you be offside in your own half though, not commenting on Lingard's decision.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm answering the question can you be offside in your own half though, not commenting on Lingard's decision.

No, the question is "can you be offside if you collect the ball in your own half?" The answer is yes, I f you were in an offside position when the ball was played.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
It was tried for a season in the Conference a few years back. It led to total confusion for players and officials. As a linesman, not only was I trying to focus on what was going on but also had to keep reminding myself that there was no offside because it was a free kick! The players were equally confused! The other problem was that the change only applied to Conference games e.g. FA Cup on Saturday, usual rules, League game midweek no offside- result chaos! It was scrapped after one season.

Thanks for that. Linesmen and referees have to be able to see everything all at once as well as be able to make the right decision every time. If they can't do this, they are liable to be abused. Who'd want to subject themselves to that? Good on you for putting yourself in that position - there'd be no matches if there were no refs or linesmen.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
No, the question is "can you be offside if you collect the ball in your own half?" The answer is yes, I f you were in an offside position when the ball was played.

No, you cannot be flagged offside in your own half - ever.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
The offside doesn't occur in your own half, but you can be stood in your own half when the offside is flagged.

If you are stood in an offside position (opposition half obviously) and the ball is played in your direction, if you can somehow get back into your half before actually receiving the ball, then you are onside.

The original offside position is nullified.

You cannot be offside if you receive a ball in your own half.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you are stood in an offside position (opposition half obviously) and the ball is played in your direction, if you can somehow get back into your half before actually receiving the ball, then you are onside.

The original offside position is nullified.

You cannot be offside if you receive a ball in your own half.

The law is based on when the ball is played. Not when it is received.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here