[Albion] Can we talk about Sanchez ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
One of those days on Saturday, shit happens, no keeper is perfect

Just pity VAR and our finishing failed us.
But yet we still gained a point and played superbly. I’ve gained more hope from that performance than doubt.

Europe here we come!

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
According to Premier League stats, Sanchez has now made 1 error leading to a goal. The same as Webster and Mac Alister.

Just be thankful we don't have Hugo Loris in goal, he's made 4 this season.
The only other one I could remember with clear connotations was the flapping against Liverpool I'm the 3-3. I was furious with him on sat but with time and reflection, he's a good keeper. He's also great with his feet and becomes an 11th outfield player at times. He's got a mistake in him but every fan of very team says that about their keepers and central defenders these days as modern pressing/passing football is so high risk for defenders. His one kryptonite seems to be deep swinging crosses.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
More important can we stop this Undav experiment. We got way may out of Maupay had we kept him.
Like playing with ten men first half.
He seems like a nice lad and I've been encouraged to see fans really try and find positives but I don't see he has any of the qualities for this level of football.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
But yet we still gained a point and played superbly. I’ve gained more hope from that performance than doubt.

Europe here we come!
Same.

As disappointed as I was on Saturday, seeing the football we played and how far behind us they've sunk, is reward in itself.

In years gone by this place and social media, would have been awash with cocky Palace fans, giving it large.
Barely a peep from them this season. Even after the comedy goalkeeping incident.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
RDZ proving yet again what a great manager he is, publicly backing his player and trying to put the focus on himself.

Sanchez will feel bad about his mistake but RDZ won’t let his head drop.

According to the Premier League stat page Big Bob has made 2 errors leading to goals in 85 appearances. That really isn’t that bad.

Lloris has made 24 in 357 games. De Gea has 16 in 400 games, Alison has made 8 in 156 games.

Exceptional stats for Sanchez. Keepers make mistakes, when they do they normally lead to goals. Sanchez clearly doesn’t make that many costly mistakes.
And one of the best in the league with his feet

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
According to the Premier League stat page Big Bob has made 2 errors leading to goals in 85 appearances. That really isn’t that bad.

Lloris has made 24 in 357 games. De Gea has 16 in 400 games, Alison has made 8 in 156 games.

Exceptional stats for Sanchez. Keepers make mistakes, when they do they normally lead to goals. Sanchez clearly doesn’t make that many costly mistakes.
What you have done here is let facts get in the way of feelings.

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
Same.

As disappointed as I was on Saturday, seeing the football we played and how far behind us they've sunk, is reward in itself.

In years gone by this place and social media, would have been awash with cocky Palace fans, giving it large.
Barely a peep from them this season. Even after the comedy goalkeeping incident.
For sure. You should be a lot more gutted by that performance if you were a Palace fan than a Brighton fan.
Definitely the most dominant I’ve ever seen Brighton against Palace. It was like watching a league 1 team versus a Prem team in the cup. Everytime they got the ball, 2/3 passes later and we were back in possession. How many Palace players would get into our first 11 now? From what I saw from that match, none of them.
That Olise looks massively over-rated and God knows how Southgate is picking their centre-backs over ours?

But what a terrific team we’ve now got. 2 superb wingers, world class midfielders, legendary defenders and a wonder kid playing upfront.

Great times to be an Albion fan!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The only other one I could remember with clear connotations was the flapping against Liverpool I'm the 3-3. I was furious with him on sat but with time and reflection, he's a good keeper. He's also great with his feet and becomes an 11th outfield player at times. He's got a mistake in him but every fan of very team says that about their keepers and central defenders these days as modern pressing/passing football is so high risk for defenders. His one kryptonite seems to be deep swinging crosses.

I think what is skewing peoples perception of him is failure bias. The few mistakes he has made are more memorable than the many excellent actions.

Looking at the Premier League stats for the last year he is second only at stopping high crosses to Emilio Martinez.

The following is for serious statos. According to fbref.com's last 365 days scouting report, for the Premier League only.

He has stopped 8.8% of crosses this past year. Compare that to the rest.

Lloris 7%
De Gea 2.1%
Alisson 6.9%
Nick Pope 7.2%
Kepa 5.5%
Ramsdale 5.1%
Ederson 6.6%
Fabianski 6.7%
Raya 8.4%
Leno 8.2%
Pickford 4.6%
Henderson 6.9%
Meslier 6%
Martinez 11.6%

He also has fractionally better shot stopping stats than both Ederson and De Gea. Two keepers who are rated highly for their saves.

Sanchez PSxG-GA/90 is -0.09

(Post-Shot Expected Goals minus Goals Allowed per 90 minutes is a metric to measure shot stopping ability. Positive numbers suggest better luck or an above average ability to stop shots)

Lloris -0.03
De Gea -0.13
Alisson +0.18
Nick Pope +0.12
Kepa +0.41
Ramsdale -0.07
Ederson -0.15
Fabianski +0.05
Raya +0.09
Leno +0.22
Pickford +0.01
Henderson -0.23
Meslier -0.38
Martinez -0.04

He is definitely one who we won't truly appreciate until he is gone.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
All you want but I don't care to include myself in the conversation. I'm thinking of moving over to Wrexham. That way I can take more "Your Club's Moved By Telly Match Holidays" as possible. And maybe get Ryan Reynolds to name his fifth child after me.
Would take some explaining to the other Wrexham fans. "'Ere, Ryan. Why'd you call your kid Albion My Albion Reynolds?!" Blake might have something to say about it, too...

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I think what is skewing peoples perception of him is failure bias. The few mistakes he has made are more memorable than the many excellent actions.

Looking at the Premier League stats for the last year he is second in stopping high crosses to Emilio Martinez.

The following is for serious statos. According to fbref.com's last 365 days scouting report, for the Premier League only.

Lloris 7%
De Gea 2.1%
Alisson 6.9%
Nick Pope 7.2%
Kepa 5.5%
Ramsdale 5.1%
Ederson 6.6%
Fabianski 6.7%
Raya 8.4%
Leno 8.2%
Pickford 4.6%
Henderson 6.9%
Meslier 6%
Martinez 11.6%

He also has fractionally better shot stopping stats than both Ederson and De Gea. Two keepers who are rated highly for their saves.

(Post-Shot Expected Goals minus Goals Allowed per 90 minutes is a metric to measure shot stopping ability. Positive numbers suggest better luck or an above average ability to stop shots)

Lloris -0.03
De Gea -0.13
Alisson +0.18
Nick Pope +0.12
Kepa +0.41
Ramsdale -0.07
Ederson -0.15
Fabianski +0.05
Raya +0.09
Leno +0.22
Pickford +0.01
Henderson -0.23
Meslier -0.38
Martinez -0.04

Certainly agree with the last sentence. Personally not a fan of stats in football but I'm sure you're right about remembering what you want to. I have key memories of him getting under crosses and causing my central cortex some anxiety. No idea if they would be classified as cross stops if they didn't lead to failure or if he managed to palm them away a bit but I'm sure it's true that like the inverse if seeing Hyundais everywhere when you're thinking of buying one, you see certain goalkeeping errors everywhere if you look for them.

I also think it happens at all clubs with what I would consider good keepers. There's always a 30% chance you'll meet a fan of that club who thinks the keeper has a terminal malfunction in their system.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
You’re disagreeing with RdeZ in that case
What are you gonna do? 🤷‍♂️ Gotta say it as you see it. De Zerbi has a squad he has to work with, and has to keep the squad happy and big-up the players as he may need them.

I don't have to do that and get the benefit of being able to waffle on about it with no jeopardy on the Internet based on 90 mins a week.

If De Zerbi eventually heads off to Juve and Tony and Paul want to give me a shout, I'm ready to answer the call. I've got some cones, an old pair of Puma Kings and my daughters got a whistle in her toybox. (An actual whistle, she's not old enough to be licensed for handguns)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What are you gonna do? 🤷‍♂️ Gotta say it as you see it. De Zerbi has a squad he has to work with, and has to keep the squad happy and big-up the players as he may need them.

I don't have to do that and get the benefit of being able to waffle on about it with no jeopardy on the Internet based on 90 mins a week.

If De Zerbi eventually heads off to Juve and Tony and Paul want to give me a shout, I'm ready to answer the call. I've got some cones, an old pair of Puma Kings and my daughters got a whistle in her toybox. (An actual whistle, she's not old enough to be licensed for handguns)
Do ? What am I supposed to do ? I just find it interesting comparing the views of someone who has seen him for a couple of hours vs someone who has seen him for probably several hundred hours :shrug:

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Do ? What am I supposed to do ? I just find it interesting comparing the views of someone who has seen him for a couple of hours vs someone who has seen him for probably several hundred hours :shrug:
I wasn't being bolshy mate. It was rhetorical. As in Whaddyagonna do? I say Undav as I see him.

boik

To be fair, we were outplayed in the game for the Maupay equaliser, that was a genuine smash and grab of a point from us.
I dont remember us being outplayed so I just checked the stats. We had more possession, more passes, more shots on target, won more tackles. It's only because of how late that Maups scored that Palace (and it seems some of our fans) feel they dominated and deserved to win. Even match ended in a draw, but we were well below our standards and they played better than they had been.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Looking at the Premier League stats for the last year he is second only at stopping high crosses to Emilio Martinez.

Lloris 7%
De Gea 2.1%
Alisson 6.9%
Nick Pope 7.2%
Kepa 5.5%
Ramsdale 5.1%
Ederson 6.6%
Fabianski 6.7%
Raya 8.4%
Leno 8.2%
Pickford 4.6%
Henderson 6.9%
Meslier 6%
Martinez 11.6%

Lloris -0.03
De Gea -0.13
Alisson +0.18
Nick Pope +0.12
Kepa +0.41
Ramsdale -0.07
Ederson -0.15
Fabianski +0.05
Raya +0.09
Leno +0.22
Pickford +0.01
Henderson -0.23
Meslier -0.38
Martinez -0.04

Best keeper in the clubs history.

Way, way too much is being made by some over the mistake on Saturday. It's a 1 in 10,000 mistake, it's not a mistake that highlights an underlying flaw in his game.

It's the goalkeeping equivelent of an outfield player letting the ball roll under his foot. The only difference is the repercussion. Some people don't seem able to see, or understand, that. Luckily i think most of us do.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I dont remember us being outplayed so I just checked the stats. We had more possession, more passes, more shots on target, won more tackles. It's only because of how late that Maups scored that Palace (and it seems some of our fans) feel they dominated and deserved to win. Even match ended in a draw, but we were well below our standards and they played better than they had been.
They were the better team on the night. Unless you only go off stats in which case it was even.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Allison -

Ramsdale -

Raya -

Pickford -

All keepers make mistakes. They change games and they stand out. FFS move on. And those calling for him to be dropped or replaced.......you're clearly too dimwitted to be worth arguing with.

I was simply replying to the statement that there's no equal to Sanchez and Ederson with ball at feet .... utter tosh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports