Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Three errors and got punished for the third

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
He made three errors but saved enough couple of one on ones when it looked easier to score.
It's the mistakes all over the rest of the pitch costing us

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Sometimes young goalies need to be taken out of the firing line. I’ve said since Sanchez was promoted that if Steele isn’t trusted we need another experienced GK. Each time I’ve been scoffed at.
The reality is ALL young (and he is young for a GK) GKs have times when they lose confidence, lose their ability to make sensible decisions, and need a rest. Look at other comparable GKs- Henderson, Ramsdale etc. Look at Butland who looked shot and now looks like a really decent keeper at Palace. And even very senior GKs sometimes just lose form, need a rest etc.
It’s absolutely nuts to say it’s okay to drop a player like Moder (for apparently very little) but that dropping a GK would lead to an irreversible damage to their ego.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He made three errors but saved enough couple of one on ones when it looked easier to score.
It's the mistakes all over the rest of the pitch costing us

All of the defenders made big errors. Duffy, Dunk, Veltman, Cucurella. They all played a poor pass, got caught in possession, set up a chance for Spurs. Thought Dunk was as guilty as any of them.

Sanchez is fighting for his confidence. Someone said 'over confident', I think it's the reverse, it's over compensating, it's knowing you're not at your best and trying that extra hard to get your belief back.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
He is clearly a good shot stopper but I just cannot understand why he didnt come for their 2nd, he would have got there easily before Kane if he'd bothered.
He seems to be playing like his batteries are running out with absolutely no urgency lately (which is also why he constantly gets caught in possession by lively opposition strikers)

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
At the moment he reminds me of an England Test batsman whose decision-making is a bit muddled under pressure. It would be tempting to rest him for the Norwich game, but a) given the two week break, and b) the fact that Norwich (on paper) pose far less of a threat than Villa, Liverpool and Spurs, it's arguably better for him to spend two weeks with the coaches getting his confidence back up and running.

Don't forget he has also kept us in games with some superb saves at crucial times

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I rarely go mad at players in the ground but he is really frustrating me now with poor decision making and general lacklustre approach.

Saturday - lucky to not get sent off, came for a ball he shouldn't have and wiped out a player.
Last night, nearly gave away a goal with slow pass out, then for Kane goal basically ended up in no mans land neither coming for it, or covering his goal particularly well.

I know hes young but letting him make the same mistakes every week can't be good. I'm also not sure it helps having a number 2 - who is a good goalkeeper but essentially happy to be a #2 so not to have the week in / week out pressure of being a goal keeper at a professional club like we have with Steele .. we do seem like a bit of a charity case

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
We're really in a pickle here, Sanchez has pretty much been making at least an error a game for several matches running now, but Potter clearly doesn't rate Steele enough to play him and make a statement.

We've surely regressed significantly in terms of squad depth in this area, given we had Tim Krul as sub goalie a few years back.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
His form has certainly dropped, but there are much bigger problems in the squad than Sanchez.

Are there? Or is A lack of trust in Sanchez forcing errors at the back and holding players back from committing too far forwards? Do they now feel they have to overcompensate for his lack of confidence at the moment?

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
I rarely go mad at players in the ground but he is really frustrating me now with poor decision making and general lacklustre approach.

Saturday - lucky to not get sent off, came for a ball he shouldn't have and wiped out a player.
Last night, nearly gave away a goal with slow pass out, then for Kane goal basically ended up in no mans land neither coming for it, or covering his goal particularly well.

I know hes young but letting him make the same mistakes every week can't be good. I'm also not sure it helps having a number 2 - who is a good goalkeeper but essentially happy to be a #2 so not to have the week in / week out pressure of being a goal keeper at a professional club like we have with Steele .. we do seem like a bit of a charity case

Agree with all that - it's been a while now . In fact when he plays we are starting the game one nil down . his nervousness permeates through the whole team . Started yesterday when he let Kane take the ball off him . Game was over then

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Are there? Or is A lack of trust in Sanchez forcing errors at the back and holding players back from committing too far forwards? Do they now feel they have to overcompensate for his lack of confidence at the moment?

Perhaps. I don't know.

But looking at the team news and seeing Sanchez in goal doesn't give me the same pain as seeing Duffy in defense, or seeing the team incapable of being able to create anything. One goal in SIX games (which came from a poorly defended set piece) is the biggest problem in a team full of problems.

twr93

Aug 2, 2019
London
Overall I thought he wasnt too bad last night- aside from flapping at a cross in the first half (which seems to be one of his key weaknesses) and the let off when Kane took the ball from him. Unlucky with the huge deflection for the first goal, and not a lot wrong with his positioning for the second. Made some good saves that kept us within touching distance and feel sorry for him that he seems to be the fans new number one target of blame.

If anything for the second goal we should be bemoaning the cheap losing of possession and poor tracking back from the defence. As pointed out by some others, all across the defence mistakes have been made, although I suppose the easy thing to do is blame the young keeper for conceding when left high and dry one-on-one with one of the best strikers in world football. :wrong:

Undoubtedly Sanchez isnt in his best form at the moment but bringing in Steele, who is far from a championship goalkeeper let alone premier league, simply isn't the answer. As fans we should be directing our anger at the club for its poor handling of the goalkeeping situation and recruitment over the last few seasons. Sanchez has the potential and all the tools to be a top keeper but we need to bring in a quality back up in the summer.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
TBH the clubs handling of keepers is winning compared to its handling of attacking prowess and defenders.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Perhaps. I don't know.

But looking at the team news and seeing Sanchez in goal doesn't give me the same pain as seeing Duffy in defense, or seeing the team incapable of being able to create anything. One goal in SIX games (which came from a poorly defended set piece) is the biggest problem in a team full of problems.

Fair point about Duffy. He’s made a number of mistakes this season yet his get overlooked by most.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Fair point about Duffy. He’s made a number of mistakes this season yet his get overlooked by most.

Sanchez, in my view, is suffering from not having Webster in the side. Whenever Sanchez has the ball at his feet, Webster is his natural "out" and is a bigger part of our defence than some would admit. A back three of Veltman, Webster and Dunk is clearly our best defence and the lack of a settled three does appear to make Sanchez jittery.

That said, his decision making is awful at the moment. This break between Spurs and Norwich can't come soon enough. He's clearly a good goalkeeper, very good in fact, but sadly a good goalkeeper who makes awful decisions really does little to stop a poor run of form.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Simple questions:-

What would the score have been if I was in goal for Spurs?
0-2.

What would the score have been if I was in goal for The Albion?
0-6.

Every mistake by the keeper is costly and under the microscope, by virtue of the fact:-

1 error = losing.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Anyone at all?

I bet it sounds familiar'to Little Maty Ryan and Chris Hughton!

#GotADrumGonnaBangIt.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
“He's clearly a good goalkeeper, very good in fact, but sadly a good goalkeeper who makes awful decisions really does little to stop a poor run of form.”

In my book a good goalkeeper is not one who repeatedly makes poor decisions. He makes some good reflex saves but whenever he has time to think and take a position, he does it wrong. I don’t think we can afford the luxury of carrying him in the hope he gets better.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wonder how close Walton is? He's having as good a season at Walsall as Sanchez did at Rochdale. I think he should probably be on loan at lower Championship level next season, but who knows? I know it's only league 2, but being rated as one of the best, if not the best, GKs they've ever had must count for something.

Anyone know how Even Bigger Scherpen is doing?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Still a young keeper in reality. Decision making will improve. I am happy enough with Big Bob, Get a settled defence back in front of him would help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports