Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shite, lucky we have a good defence :smile:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Quality keeper, and really enjoy the way he claims crosses which take all the pressure off, and then either slows the game down, or launches a break

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
View attachment 145056

Saw that graph earlier, Sanchez really is in a league of his own when it comes to how he plays.

This is an interesting graphic but also not that surprising, he is an unorthodox GK, in a very good way.

I like the fact he is relatively unique, I also think that this is something that Potter likes in players too, or tries to bring out in everyone to an extent.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I do love a ‘there must be SOMETHING I can moan about’ thread after a good win :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Probably 3-4 season away from being fully developed. We’re extremely lucky to have him and lucky we had a coach with the balls to drop an ever-present to start okaying him as young as he did. Enjoy him while you can, he’ll be off to a ‘big club’ all too soon.

This. I was assuming the OP was going to say had nothing to do until the end and then did what was necessary (stop the shot on target) and that shows what a good keeper he is...

Last edited:

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I think this team is the best I’ve seen in my 47 years. My only minor argument is with Sanchez. Just seems too flappy at corners and far to relaxed when releasing the ball with an on rushing centre forward. This is not a Moan just a genuine query. Could we get a better keeper or are we all happy with Sanchez ?

Clean sheet and solid today, claimed a number of crosses. Very happy with big Bob!

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
2018-19 season we conceded 60 goals
2019-20 season we conceded 54 goals.
2020-21 season we conceded 46 goals
2021-22 season so far we have conceded 23 goals (5th best in the league).

Sanchez came in just under halfway through last season.

I don't think there is a coincidence between the dramatic improvement in our defensive record and replacing our keeper. Not that I am anti-Ryan at all, I thought he was a very good keeper, perhaps a couple of inches too small to be a great one.
Ryan kept a clean sheet on average once every 4.4 games, for Sanchez that is once every 2.9 games.

Having said that I also think that Sanchez has been helped by having one of the best defensive midfielders in the country and a strong defensive unit, together with the move to 3 at the back and us generally having more possession than the other team.

This means that overall Sanchez has less shots to save (2.6 per game) than Ryan did (2.9)

I think Sanchez is not the finished article yet; he still has too many errors of judgement, but he could be a world class keeper in a few years time.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I understand The need to evaluate the players and see where we can improve Position by position
But give the lad a break he s been pretty darn good in most of his games played We have greater needs in other positions
RS is one for the now and the future
Look elsewhere to hone the team

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
This. I was assuming the OP was going to say had nothing to do until the end and then did what was necessary (stop the shot on target) and that shows what a good keeper he is...

It’s just the occasional flapping at corners when pressured (Watford and West Ham spring to mind). As you say didn’t have much to do. His actual saving is superb but the occasional basics worry me. As I said, I’m not moaning, it’s just a slight concern to me.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Sanchez has 40 high claims. Pope is next on the list at 26. We play a possession game so not like Burnley being dominated. The defence know he will come so makes their job easier, the opposition know he will come so that cross it further away from the goal which makes scoring harder. When he claims it he has brilliant distribution. Rogers put a blocker in to stop this and saw two goals overturned. Sanchez is young and an outstanding keeper who has a ridiculously high potential.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Definitely not the finished article.
Some errors in judgement & positioning. Sometimes flaps. Sometimes tries for balls he really cannot hope to get. Sometimes inconsistent.
He’s a beginner. He’s young…………

BUT

Good shot-stopper
Good sweeper-keeper
Good on crosses
Good distribution

Probably has another 18 years to mature
Good and going to get better

What’s not to like!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Sanchez isn't perfect - the third tottenham goal was as much his fault as Websters for example - but we forget sometimes he's just 24. He's a quality keeper. His relaxed demeanour means he looks too casual at times but crossing? Look at the stats, he is the best by a mile in the PL.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Love him but he has been lucky recently, his mistakes haven't led to many goals conceded when they easily could have. Dropped slightly from last season high point when he looked in the Top 3 Prem keepers. Now maybe just Top 5.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If Dunk can forgive Sanchez for punching him in the face, then I think we can forgive him a few minor lapses.

Id also say 'thank you' to Bob if he punched me in the face.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports